-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
my scope...Not my rig...I went up to the range today to sight in a few rifles...A new to me custom 28N was showing nice results on paper, until the bolt came apart after touching one off...Now what would cause this?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Rifle was a cupcake to shoot...

[Linked Image]

Nice accuracy...

[Linked Image]

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some keeper gave way.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spring is caught or firing pin tip is broke and stuck in the bolt. Take the bolt apart bet it comes out in pieces.

Ps the only pin that holds the whole firing pin, spring and bolt shroud together is in the rear cocking piece and in your pics it looks like it’s still in there. So no a retaining pin did not break, its got to be the spring or the tip of the firing pin.

Quick question was the the firing pin turned down and the bolt hole bushed?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
At least it didn’t happen while you were hunting.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Danny1788
Spring is caught or firing pin tip is broke and stuck in the bolt. Take the bolt apart bet it comes out in pieces.

Ps the only pin that holds the whole firing pin, spring and bolt shroud together is in the rear cocking piece and in your pics it looks like it’s still in there. So no a retaining pin did not break, its got to be the spring or the tip of the firing pin.

Short answer...No.

Unscrewing the firing pin from the housing showed a dry spring. Not a lick of grease was present.

I have this issue sorted by PM from a member...Thanks Danny!
😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beav the problem is obvious, it's the scope..... you need a Leupold......... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
Beav the problem is obvious, it's the scope..... you need a Leupold......... smile

Laffin...Bonk Head....I’m so stupid. 😎

“Molon Labe”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Also could use one of those fancy paint jobs the Beav is famous for................. laugh cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lone wolf

Also could use one of those fancy paint jobs the Beav is famous for................. laugh cool

Hey now Beav is kinda sensitive about that..... his profession is painting after all.... show some sensitivity for crying out loud......

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lone wolf

Those fine beauties will be up for sale in the classifieds very soon...

Who in their right mind wouldn’t want to finish off an expensive build with those classical works of original art?

PM me Wolf for best pricing, you’re a friend...

You and that Dick Fubar know each other??? Gawd, I hate this place. No talent appreciating sonsabitches..😂😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
How the heck did you break the firing pin in such a way the front ring that holds it back to the shroud came off... must have sheared the pin right in half.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Danny1788

Short answer...No.

Unscrewing the firing pin from the housing showed a dry spring. Not a lick of grease was present.

I have this issue sorted by PM from a member...Thanks Danny!
😎

So was it just a dry spring that got caught on the firing pin due to no grease?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Correct....That’s what appears to have been the culprit. No grease. Bone dry...😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
firing pins don't rebound under normal shooting conditions.
blow a primer?

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JRGunmaker
firing pins don't rebound under normal shooting conditions.
blow a primer?

Nope, I checked all 7 cases for pressure. Not a primer.

Rifle is gonna catch a bus ride back to the builder for eval and repairs. I will post what their findings are...😎

“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My guess is that the cross pin just broke because it was too hard. It's not all that uncommon in such action designs. Not a chronic problem, but I have seen it over my life as a gunsmith (over 50 years now) about 12-15 times. If the spring is super strong it's also possible the pin was too soft, and just sheared off. From the pics it's not possible to tell which.

Replacement with a proper size roll pin is probably all you need to do. Some target shooters I know use ordinary nails, spun down on a drill against a file to get a perfect fit. The reasoning is that the steel in framing nails is soft and has good sheer strength. They do get a bow in them after some use, but are replaced about 1 time a year so as to to bow out enough to cause problems. I know 2 men in Nevada that do this with their Remington actions just as part of regular maintenance. Those that re-barrel their rifles every year shoot enough to see such wear, and re-pinning 2-3 times per barrel is no big deal. Roll pins are made from spring steel and in my opinion are a better way to go then nails, but I can't argue with success either.

As for my own use, I like the older style actions that are not made with cross- pinned strikers.

It's sad, but some of these high priced actions are actually not as good as they should be when it comes to reliability, considering what they cost. It's just my opinion, but I think someone spending that kind of money should be entitled to more.

Last edited by szihn; 06/11/19.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Cross pin was dropped, rolled under the bench. 8 penny nail is about the same size, one was cut to size.

There you go.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 69 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,554
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.