Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/807420699

Why caution? Are we afraid someone will inadvertently be hurt or what?

LOL
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What’s the point of the post?

To talk about 340’s in 225?

Or to complain about the live auction community practices here?

You don’t mention anything about the 225..

Here’s one that’s not a live auction if it IS a 225 discussion.

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...---340v----225-win-.cfm?gun_id=101195147

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as I know no one has ever complained when someone posted a live auction they were actually biding on themselves... but maybe that because it's never happened for some odd reason? wink

Gene
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GeneB
As far as I know no one has ever complained when someone posted a live auction they were actually biding on themselves... but maybe that because it's never happened for some odd reason? wink

Very odd indeed.

Anybody else remember Hunter Dan? Oh... <shudder>

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, I'll make an assumption here and move forward. I don't know a lot about the 225, but the cartridge always struck me as pushing the 340 to the outer limits of its design. Do 340s in 225 suffer stress problems?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There was recent discussion on the 340 and 225 together. perhaps it was on another forum. My apologies. Thought it of interest to the Savage collectors forum.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Wasn't it 260Remguy who had some insight into the .225/340 combo?

I'm not a fanboy of the 340, but acknowledge its place in the scheme of things. Intuitively I would shy away from one in .225 in its marginally strong enough action. On the other hand I would welcome a .225 chambered in a stout single shot, but not really enough to go out of my way for one.

The 340's claim to fame was its ability to put a decent rifle into the hands of a deer hunter or varmint shooter who couldn't afford a Winchester, Remington, or Savage 99.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

I'm not a fanboy of the 340, but acknowledge its place in the scheme of things. Intuitively I would shy away from one in .225 in its marginally strong enough action. On the other hand I would welcome a .225 chambered in a stout single shot, but not really enough to go out of my way for one.

The 340's claim to fame was its ability to put a decent rifle into the hands of a deer hunter or varmint shooter who couldn't afford a Winchester, Remington, or Savage 99.

I agree:

The 340 really only made sense in 222 Rem and 30-30. They wouldn't have sold any more or any less if those had been the only 2 chambers offered.

I suppose they would have had some appeal to me if I were I kid that sold newspapers all summer and wanted a shinny new new gun to hunt with that fall. There isn't anything interesting about them to me now though nor do I have any desire to own one.

Not sure we needed a live auction to discuss this point. I don't really see the live auction thing as a rule, just more of a courtesy. Either way, no skin off my nose. People can do what they want.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it better for a discussion to wait until the auction is over so you can include if it sold and for what while the post is still new and people have not lost interest. The recent listing of the Rock Island Auction seemed to have lost a lot of it's interest by the time prices were available for comparison to the prices the same items brought a few years earlier. Are people worried someone else might list it before them? If it's just for a good discussion who list it first would not matter.

Gene
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Apologies for offending the more sensitive in the group. That was not my intention. I remember people talking about how the 225 in the 340 was hard to find, so I posted it up as a courtesy.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No apology needed for me, I really am not offended, just have a different opinion & perspective and explained some of my reasoning for it, you don't have to agree with me..... people often don't and I accept there will always be differences in opinions and all sides have a right to express theirs. Since you already had listed the link I think I should apologize for not saving my opinions until the discussion on the .225 chamberings and the scarcity was slowing down, it appears I have slowed it down... or even stopped it. You feel it was a courtesy to post it, I feel it would be more of a courtesy to wait until the auction were over to post it, just a difference in opinion (and it would have been a courtesy for me to save my comments for later also, my bad), I will compromise and say that I guarantee to keep my opinions to myself if you wish to post an live auction of a rarity you find that you are actually bidding on yourself.... just let me know …. wink

Gene
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I think the slow down of conversation really has to do with the little interest guys have in the 340. Unfortunately, it is the "redheaded stepchild" of the Savage family and nobody will ever spend time talking about them in minutia like with the 99. Having said that, I wouldn't mind knowing more about the 225, either in the 340 or not.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i would be interested in that 340 or actually more in the 225 but i am old enough to have bought 340's for 50.00.
that starting price is full bore plus in my way of thinking. of course my way of thinking is wrong according to the bride.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a savage, but a single shot in 225 is a t/c contender I have. It was originally a 14 in 223 but the empties were a pia to get out with the vxiii on it. I rechamberd it to 225 and never looked back. That little rim made a big difference in removing empties. I load middle of the road reloading data and never have had a problem.

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OK, so while we're wandering all over the Savage galaxy, I was just asked if a 219 could safely by rechambered to .225 Win. Said "no" because I'm an old chicken (actually a rooster) and don't think the .22 Hornet barrel is the right twist or maybe even bore diameter for a .225. Am I right? Or just chicken?

Wandering further, did Savage R&D ever try a .22 Savage HP in a 219? I never saw one when I was perusing Utica R&D remnants for sale at Numrichs around 1990, but didn't think to ask if they'd seen one.

Watch out for that black hole!!!!!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I've seen 219's re-chambered to some mildly hairy conversions but I don't have a really good feel for their strength characteristics. Theoretically the Hornet bore should be of a correct diameter, and even if it is a .223 groove diameter not much would happen if you fired a .224 bullet through it- a little higher pressure sure, but as long as max loads were avoided I don't see an issue. Of much greater concern would be the slow twist of a Hornet barrel from a couple generations ago. 40 and 45 grainers ok for sure, perhaps 50/52's if driven fast enough. Forget about shooting any of the long streamlined whizbang .22 bullets of today.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
My best guess is that .22 Savage HP factory loads wouldn't shoot for crap in a Hornet spec barrel, either. That's a guess.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Apologies for offending the more sensitive in the group. That was not my intention. I remember people talking about how the 225 in the 340 was hard to find, so I posted it up as a courtesy.

"No good deed goes unpunished" - Oscar Wilde LOL

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mesa
My best guess is that .22 Savage HP factory loads wouldn't shoot for crap in a Hornet spec barrel, either. That's a guess.

Especially so given the huge disparity in bullet/bore diameters, not to mention the even slower rate of twist of a Hornet barrel than even the already too slow 1-12" twist of a Savage .22HP barrel. .219 Zipper might not be a bad choice though, as long as shooting nothing but lightweight bullets is ok.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On topic - check
Auction completed - check
grin
Sounds like an accurate rifle.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 64 invisible), 3,022 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,148
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.