Print Thread
Hop To
#13884366 06/08/19
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I had to brag to someone. My pawnshop find was a rem 700 mountain rifle, ss with a timney trigger and an hs precision stock. I just tested some handloads. IMR 4350 with 130 ttsx Barnes = .75 inches.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Sounds like a fine rifle. Congrats.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Hard to kill with a 270. Ask broke stick.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Gotta Luv it!

Good for you!

Enjoy!

FWIW
My go to load in the 270 Winchester for years has been 130 gr. Ballistic Tips/Accubonds over 60 gr. H4831 SC, Federal 210M primers.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like someone got swooned by a Creedmoor. That rig will handle business.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by dogwater
I had to brag to someone. My pawnshop find was a rem 700 mountain rifle, ss with a timney trigger and an hs precision stock. I just tested some handloads. IMR 4350 with 130 ttsx Barnes = .75 inches.

Good For You - really.
The 700 Mtn Rifle is one of ONLY a few that I really liked and for 'some' reason just never got one.
The Ruger 77 Boat Paddle is another.

AFAIC ( as far as I'm concerned) my first REAL big game (deer) rifle was a 700 BDL - .270 W. The round has NEVER disappointed nor
let me down. IMO the 270 already HAS a history that some new 'fangled' rounds may never achieve.

There's nothing wrong with 94 yrs of success!!

Congrats

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 06/09/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You did well. Very well.

A few months ago I bought a gently used Rem M700 BDL in .270 Win for Daughter #1 to use for elk. It pushes a 150g ABLR to 2912fps with 52.0g H100V and prints under .5". That load retains 2000fps past 800 yards and 1500fpe past 700 at the 7,000 feet floor where we typically hunt. Recoil calculates to be a bit under 18 foot-pounds.

I like that load so well I've thought about it for a Savage build I'm (very slowly) working on. It has a mag bolt face (started out as a 7mm RM) so I'll probably go 6.5 PRC instead, even though it is a long action.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sounds like hunting time

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sweet find!

My brother had the same cal and it shot great for a lightweight rifle.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
You did well. Very well.

A few months ago I bought a gently used Rem M700 BDL in .270 Win for Daughter #1 to use for elk. It pushes a 150g ABLR to 2912fps with 52.0g H100V and prints under .5". That load retains 2000fps past 800 yards and 1500fpe past 700 at the 7,000 feet floor where we typically hunt. Recoil calculates to be a bit under 18 foot-pounds.

I like that load so well I've thought about it for a Savage build I'm (very slowly) working on. It has a mag bolt face (started out as a 7mm RM) so I'll probably go 6.5 PRC instead, even though it is a long action.

Luv it!

My 270 story.
I’ve a friend from Ireland that has a saying, “A lie well told will serve as good as the truth, any day!”

Anywho, its been close to 30 years since I started to collect centerfire rifles. As an aside I’ve been trading at one particular LGS since the late 80’s. I found a couple receipts the other day when I was going through some old papers. They were dated 1991. Stuff I’d completely forgotten about.

These days I usually stop in 3 or 4 times a week. It’s hot out and this old man has a short bladder. It is a convenient place to “let a little out and take on a little more”, not to mention to cool down from the heat.

When I go in, I have a circuit. I stop at the check-out counter first to flirt a bit with the ladies that “check one out”. From time to time I feed their “Sonic Fund” with a 10 or a 20. It pays, ‘cause they can give you a 10% “friends and family discount” on ammo, gear and knives.

Next, I proceed in a counter clock-wise fashion, heading first to the used pistol case. Depending on who is working will determine whether I will go in the back to get a cup of coffee after I’ve checked out the used guns. I say that not because of a restriction, but because there is only one ol’ fart like me that makes the coffee strong enough to be palatable.

On the way to the coffee pot I will check out the used scopes and take a glance at the two rifle cases where the used rifles are kept. Every now and then I spy something that I just can’t live without. Their no-interest 90 day lay-away only makes matters worse.

Anywho somewhere back between 1991 and 1995, I bop in and start checking out the pre-enjoyed fire-arms. Back then the used rifles were displayed on wood a-frame structures set on the floor in the middle of the store. This was at the beginning of my heavy barreled bean-field rifle period. If it did not have a heavy/bull barrel, I would not even consider it. And if it was a lever gun forget about it. I’d only had a Winchester 94 since I was 13 or so and it was bolt action time.

Well I spy this heavy barreled rifle on the rack. It called to me, I swear. It was a push feed Winchester rifle with a light colored stock and a heavy barrel, that immediately I figured might be an after-market addition. IIRC I picked it up and it had Shilen engraved in the metal just in. front of the action, highlited in silver. Well at this time I still was so broke I could hardly afford to pay attention. Turns out it was chambered for the 270 Winchester. I did not have a 270 Winchester. Well I commence to start fondling the piece and discover that it had a hair-line crack in the wrist of the stock. So I grap it and carry it up to the counter and ask to speak to the manager. I show him the crack. I tell him I’d like to buy the rifle, but with the crack in the stock, would he discount the price. He looks and says no, that he would take it off the rack and put it in the back. Bummer.

Well over the next few months I continue to come in and buzz trough the store, looking to see if I spy something I could not live without. On trip, I start up a conversation with Terry, the manager that I mentioned earlier. He tells me he is quitting that he got a better job with Southwest airlines. I ask him in conversation what ever happened to that Winchester. He says, you know, I forgot about that, I put it in the back and never did anything with it, why do you ask. I replied, I sure would like to own that rifle, you sure you would not take $350 for it, seeing how it has a heavy barrel and a crack in the wrist and it’s a push feed rather than a CRF.

IIRC he looks at me and smiles and sez’, why not.

Well I figured I’d cut a fat hog. Just the barrel would have cost near what I paid for the whole rig
I was thinking just the other night. I do believe I only have three rifles in my possession that I purchased way back when I first started collecting rifles. That Winchester in 270 is one. In fact it is such a fine shooter that for the next 20 years or so, I did not own another rifle chambered for the 270 Winchester.

[Linked Image]

The hair-line crack that got me the rifle cheap. Never bothered the function of the rifle. Never bothered to fix it.

[Linked Image]

Yup!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It’s a shooter.

[Linked Image]

Works like a charm on hoglets as the bullets don't seem to bounce off from this one!

[Linked Image]

Ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Nice find! I bought a TC Compass in 270, shoots good but I have developed the best load for it yet. Price was right for $285 scoped.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
270's can grow on you. I didn't own one for 40 years when I saw a Baco M70 FWT on GB for a very good price. Had just finished rereading a couple of JOC's books and decided I needed a 270 in his honor. It's a shooter and has become my go-to.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the OP sounds like a great find. I ignored the 270 for a long time too but a few years ago I tried one and have been very pleased with it. 150 gr Ballistic Tip and 160 gr Partition are my go to bullets.

Gerry.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
A 270 is hard to beat. I have a Sako, put Ballistic tips damn near in the same hole. I use IMR 4350.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,727 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.