-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When they were still cheap, I got a handful of beater SKS's that had the Soviet style scope mount on them. Did some welding, came up with something serviceable, have a 3x9 Simmons on it. No complaints. I also had a scope rail custom machined that bolted to the side of the receiver, just 40 bucks for that. It is possible to mount a solid mount to the side of the receiver above the stock line. Mine worked nice but was UGLY so one of the Chinese side mounts ended up on that rifle. I could remount the custom thing any time.
As for dustcover mounts, I have one and again, I welded it and did other things so it would be "tight" but a real factor is the bolt hitting the cover on full recoil, even with a buffer rubber in there. If you could get a mount made that screws onto the side of the receiver then follows the profile of the dust cover, and put a compact dot on that, I think it would be a GREAT pig rig with a big field of view. I might try that myself someday.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
If you could get a mount made that screws onto the side of the receiver then follows the profile of the dust cover, and put a compact dot on that, I think it would be a GREAT pig rig with a big field of view. I might try that myself someday.

If you’re thinking of red dots in terms of “field of view”, you’re using them wrong.

The (good) mounts that replace the rear sight are solid, low, and allow cowitness with the irons. Don’t reinvent the wheel. Push the easy button.

kenjs1 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Man a lot to think about, thanks all . M- Marine - that looks promising. I replaced the original rear sights with Williams peep and was amazed at the improvement....but fast froward a decade and some and the last pig I shot with it was about 50 yards found me straining for aiming. I hate to sell it for sentimental reasons. It was my first rifle- a gift from Dad years back and he is still around so.... First rifle I refinished - had some nasty burnt red hard coating on it and my neophyte self was treating that laminate fine walnut- until I figured things out. It is Russian and now looks nice for an sks. Dad didn't recognize it after I worked on it.

OK prepare to flame but ....I just can't warm up to AR's. Honestly I would prefer a newer Ruger Mini-30 for the pig hunting I might do. Curious on the last post- so my thinking was a red dot would be a benefit for fast shots and better fov? What am I missing?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Curious on the last post- so my thinking was a red dot would be a benefit for fast shots and better fov? What am I missing?

With iron sights one should have front sight focus. Red dots are meant to be used with both eyes open; With target focus you should be bringing the dot into your line of sight and superimposing it upon the target. With this method it doesn’t matter if the red dot is mounted close to the eye or further away, as the field of view would be “total” or whatever it is normally. So yes, a red dot will be better, and you want to mount it with a solid mount that attaches to the rear sight block, not the dust cover, not a side mount, not a clamp on mount.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yes,but the red dot doesn’t address the old,aging eyesight.Might be an improvement over iron sights,but it does nothing for target resolution...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bull64
Yes,but the red dot doesn’t address the old,aging eyesight.Might be an improvement over iron sights,but it does nothing for target resolution...

Except that you’re focusing on the target instead of the front sight. Superimpose your finger over something at 50 yards, look directly at your finger, how clear is the target?

Now focus on the target, how much clearer is it?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Bearded
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
If you could get a mount made that screws onto the side of the receiver then follows the profile of the dust cover, and put a compact dot on that, I think it would be a GREAT pig rig with a big field of view. I might try that myself someday.

If you’re thinking of red dots in terms of “field of view”, you’re using them wrong.

The (good) mounts that replace the rear sight are solid, low, and allow cowitness with the irons. Don’t reinvent the wheel. Push the easy button.

You sound like you have some experience with the SKS. I am interested in "The (good) mounts that replace the rear sight are solid, low, and allow cowitness with the irons."
Would appreciate names of specific mounts and red dots.
Thanks so much,
Gun Doc

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would think he's referring to the Magwedge..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Except that you’re focusing on the target instead of the front sight. Superimpose your finger over something at 50 yards, look directly at your finger, how clear is the target?

That's true.But does that trump 4x magnification?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That's true.But does that trump 4x magnification?

On a platform that is notorious for being hard to scope? Yes, a red dot that holds zero beats 4x magnification that doesn’t. For 50 yards on pigs? Yes again.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have 3 that hold zero.You have to stay off the receiver cover...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scoping an SKS is like supercharging a Hugo...........

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by irfubar
Scoping an SKS is like supercharging a Hugo...........

It’s a tool. Make it work how you need it to.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.