Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyone try one of the new CZ push feeds? I have a hankering to try something new. Yea I know they are just made in "boring" calibers but they are still different. Any idea if the .308 version is a true short action?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Guess I'll find out, Just ordered a .308. Should be here in 10 days

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would love one in 8x57 if they ever chambered them in LH. I do have a bit of interest in a 30-06 or 308. A 6.5x55, 7x57 and 9.3x62 would be pretty sweet too.

Gerry.
B
B
I am considering a left-handed CZ 557 and will be interested to read others' comments.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Rifle weighs 7 pounds 12 ounces. The LOP is 14 inches. Fit and finish is excellent with the exception of the barrel channel where one side has a slightly wider gap (barrel is free floated). Trigger is excellent, doubt I will even adjust it. Once I applied some oil the bolt travel is pretty smooth and precise, not any side by side slop. Suspect it will get smoother the more times it is worked. Found it interesting the bolt was pretty dry and didnt have any grease, cosmoline, etc on it. Like the fact the bolt release is hard to get to but still easy to release. If the rifle is cocked a red pin shows at the back of the bolt, NICE!. The safety is conventional, push forward to fire. When the safety is ON the bolt is locked in place. Action is machined for CZ style rings that clamp on. Action is definitely short and not the normal long action with a plugged off magazine well.

The stock..............contains sling studs but they are not quick detachable. I removed the stock ones and slipped on a pair of Uncle Mikes QD without any fitting issues. The finish is matte, almost like an oil finish. Wood is average, checkering is very nice. The butt and grip of the stock are thick. If you have smaller hands or shorter than me (5'10) doubt you would like the fit. I am on the fence about the stock. It fits me OK, just not sure about the thick butt and grip. Its not that its bad, its just different than what I am used to. Time will tell. The recoil pad is about 1 inch thick so you could have it switched out with a thinner version to reduce the LOP to roughly 13.5 inches.

I tend to buy rifles then stick them in the safe for awhile before sighting them in at my normal sight in range of 50 yards so doubt I can offer a fair assessment of the rifles accuracy potential. Once the rifle is scoped, loaded, and a sling added it will be in the 9 pound 2-6 ounce range so it should be pleasant to shoot for even the most recoil sensitive shooter. The heft should make it faster to get off a second shot if needed. A good choice for the hunter with a reasonable walk to the stand, not a good choice for mountain hunting where a lot of hiking is required.

Is it for you? I say yes if you are at least my height and like a solid feeling rifle that will be easy to shoot off the bench due to its weight and you don't plan on hiking long distances with it. Its nice to feel a full size rifle that is not a PITA to shoot offhand or in a sitting position where the weight can help. The more I think about this rifle the more I like it. It is a throw back to wood and blued steel with the modern twist of a excellent out of the box trigger and a cocking indicator on the bolt that should be pleasant to shoot in the field and off the bench.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you Sir. I've been anxious to get some first hand feedback; in fact I was going to bump a thread on this very topic. I think I'll just get it over with and buy one.

My cz 550 has a set trigger, (a feature I'm very keen on). Does this come with a set trigger?

Again Snowwolfe, thank you for the info. Still need 100 yards - 5 shot group report with at least 180 grain/4350 or 4831 loads.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
No set trigger. And it is completely adjustable.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
This is how my CZ550 308 Varmint shoots.CZ makes great rifles
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Any more reports on these rifles ?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,610
Posts18,454,896
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.