Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I took a new (to me) custom Springfield 1922 in .22 Hornet out to shoot yesterday. The rounds were landing approximately 7 inches high at 50 yards and there is no more downward adjustment left on the scope. Thus it appears that I'm going to have to shim the scope.

I'm assuming that I will need to add height to the front ring or under the front base (the bases are mounted on the receiver ring). Approximately how thick a shim would I need to insert and would I be better off placing it in the ring (and if so, how do I deal with the reduced interior ring diameter) or under the base?

Thanks.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I would shim under the base, try a .004 shim.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Soda pop or beer can material makes grate shim.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, cans work great, and can be easily clipped to the right size.

Have also had good luck shimming the inside of the front ring with duct tape. You want to just place it on the bottom, not on the entire semi-circle. If one layer isn't enough, an even smaller piece can be added in the middle of the first one.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shimming is also a good way to get ring marks, because if one ring is higher than the other the scope rides on the edges.

I do a version of what Mule Deer recommends with duct tape. I just put a piece of tape in the bottom, but not all the way around. Then I test fire. If all is good, I put epoxy in the ring bottoms and use a precision steel bar instead of the scope, release agent as appropriate. After the epoxy sets, I peel the tape out and fill the remaining gap with epoxy, placing the bar as before. If done carefully, you end up with perfect stress free scope contact in the rings. No metal removal is involved, and the epoxy can always be removed with a good solvent down the road, if desired.

This is what I do if Burris Signature rings with inserts aren't applicable. Works well for me.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just went through the whole 'shimming' experience.

To 'lower' your POI, shim UNDER the scope on the front ring.

A soda bottle or other adult beverage aluminum can will give you a shim that will change POI about 4". Cut about 1/2-1" long strip, narrow enough to 'hide' under your scope. I'd think 2 shims, maybe 3 will get you where you need to be. Probably just 2.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've used electrical tape on the lower ring-half, and it worked great.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Paul39
Shimming is also a good way to get ring marks, because if one ring is higher than the other the scope rides on the edges.

I do a version of what Mule Deer recommends with duct tape. I just put a piece of tape in the bottom, but not all the way around. Then I test fire. If all is good, I put epoxy in the ring bottoms and use a precision steel bar instead of the scope, release agent as appropriate. After the epoxy sets, I peel the tape out and fill the remaining gap with epoxy, placing the bar as before. If done carefully, you end up with perfect stress free scope contact in the rings. No metal removal is involved, and the epoxy can always be removed with a good solvent down the road, if desired.

This is what I do if Burris Signature rings with inserts aren't applicable. Works well for me.

Paul

That's if the rings were aligned and you shim them out of alignment. It seems that if he runs out of vertical adjustment then the rings are out of alignment already, and shimming would be bringing them in.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Paul39

Paul

That's if the rings were aligned and you shim them out of alignment. It seems that if he runs out of vertical adjustment then the rings are out of alignment already, and shimming would be bringing them in.

That's one way to look at it, but I don't know a precise way to gauge whether rings are in alignment to begin with. I don't trust rods, although perhaps they work if used correctly. What I left out is lapping as a first step. If you start lapping you see pretty quickly where the contact is, and it can be an eye opener. If they are out of alignment it will show as wear (bluing removal) on the respective edges. I have lapped a lot of rings, and can't recall any that started out in perfect alignment or contact. Maybe "good enough", but far from perfect.

If I can't use the Signature rings I usually routinely lap and epoxy bed, even if shimming isn't needed. Just gives me more confidence.

Paul

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
What type of bases are on the receiver? If they are anything "standard" I would seriously look at the Burris Signature rings with the plastic offset inserts. They do a wonderful job of correcting alignment issue of scopes, both vertically and horizontally (or a combination of both!). You can find a combination of plastic offsets that will allow you to keep the scope turret adjustments roughly centered so they aren't running near or at the limit of the internal springs. Plus they don't mark up the scope body and slippage won't be an issue on a .22 Hornet. Just my $0.02...

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
When I have this sort of misalignment, I generally use five-minute epoxy to bed the scope into the rings. If I need to raise the front ring, (and, in this case, it hasd to come up quite a bit) I cut a thin strip of business card which will lie in the front of the front ring. I then wax the scope tube, degrease the bottom half of the rings, mix the epoxy and put some on each ring. Then, put the scope in the rings (don't dawdle!) and snug the tops down (not too tight. just enough to bottom at the rear of the rear ring while the front is supported by the card). Let it set up for a half hour or so then remove the scope and trim off the excess epoxy and there you have it. The bottom halves of the rings will be perfectly aligned with the scope tube and the scope will be sitting in the correct attitude. GD

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used soda can pieces wrapped in duct tape inside the rings when my $90 supposed to be high enough according to the web rings weren't high enough. Too frustrated.to send back and start over so just shimmer them. So far so good.

Old guy, old guns.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What Greydog describes is essentially the same as my method, but a bit simplified. I don't like the idea of bedding the scope directly into the epoxy. I worry about having it stick and needing to knock it a bit to get it free, so I use a length of precision ground 1" steel rod to form the epoxy bed.

Even that may not be a perfect fit. As Mule Deer noted elsewhere, scope diameters are not always true to spec. Folks, when you consider the various components made by different manufacturers, it's taking a lot on faith to expect everything to fit perfectly. There's this thing called stacking tolerances. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

Paul

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A little something I've been playing with.

[Linked Image]

An old Balvar 8 with really clear glass. I use windage adjustable bases or rings and shim for elevation. I call it the "Turret Twisters Nightmare", you'd be surprised at the number of baffled shooters at the range when they notice there are no adjustment knobs on the scope. I've since moved it to a Savage 22-250 with Leupold windage adjustable base, shown are Weaver windage adjustable rings. I use greased hard paper shims(computer paper) they don't continue to compress over time and are easy to insert by just loosening the ring screws.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes shimming works but i really hate to shim,i would rather get the right mounts for my rifles if i plan on keeping that scope on that rifle for a long time. scope mounts are not that expensive.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've never owned the Weaver windage adjustable rings. When I look at them I conclude the design is flawed. It seems to me that if a set were mounted on a one-piece base (or the top of a flat top AR type rifle, or a two-piece base well anchored so as to act as a one-piece base), adjustment would create two axis that were parallel, but not collinear. If so, this would torque the scope tube, and possibly lead to ring marks.

However, I should make it clear that I never purchased a set of rings and tested them to see if I am correct. I have the education and experience to believe I am correct, but I will not state it as fact unless I am more sure.

Redfield style windage adjustable rings are supposed to allow the front ring to rotate to "point" to the rear ring. The rear ring should theoretically not turn to "point" toward the front ring, but it appears to me that there is enough "flex" in the design to minimize the issue. I don't see much "flex" in the Weaver design to allow the rings to align. (I don't like the Redfield system, but mostly for other reasons.)

All that said, I really do like the "plain old Weaver" rings and bases, especially the steel bases. But I remain skeptical of the Weaver windage adjustable rings.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Another bad point about the Redfield windage adjustable system is the adjustment screws have less purchase on the bottom of the ring when they are adjusted away from center. The adjustment screws move on a line left-right, but the rear ring moves in an arc.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by mathman
Another bad point about the Redfield windage adjustable system is the adjustment screws have less purchase on the bottom of the ring when they are adjusted away from center. The adjustment screws move on a line left-right, but the rear ring moves in an arc.

Absolutely. That is what I was alluding to above. If the rear ring turns as it move laterally (following the arc you mention) to continue to point toward the front ring, then either there is enough slop in the threads or flexibility in the windage screws to seat correctly with the bottom of the ring . . . or not.

If things are not designed to line up correctly (Burris Signature system, rings reamed and/or lapped, scope epoxy bedded in the rings, whatever the method that ensures alignment), then the mount is going to try to bend or kink the scope tube. Depending on how stiff and strong the scope tube is compared to how much "leverage" the particular mounting system has, this can be bad or not so bad. But however it works out, it is not optimum. It has always seemed to me that even if the scope is not overly compromised, the whole deal is not a good candidate for holding zero.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
yes shimming works but i really hate to shim,i would rather get the right mounts for my rifles if i plan on keeping that scope on that rifle for a long time. scope mounts are not that expensive.

Been gritting my teeth but can hold it no longer. If a scope won't zero something is wrong between the scope and the rifle (assuming the scope is good). If you shim it there is still something wrong between the scope and the rifle. Petty little things like that wear on me. Silly I know but I feel much better with things done "right."

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Soda pop or beer can material makes grate shim.

Yes it does. Cuts easily with a scissor too.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.