Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just as a follow up, it was the mounts. I put the Burris rings and bases on ,and its game on now. Thank you all for the help and education!

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
rick,

It won't, but it helps determine if the problem is in the scope, mounts or rifle.

Often scopes get blamed for running out of adjustment, when the most common problem these days is in the mounts (or how it was mounted), and sometimes in the rifle itself.

Yes, sometimes there is a little wiggle room in the mounts themselves. A lot of guys think you can just throw a set on and screw everything together and you are fine. Simple truth of the matter is it doesnt always work that way. Theres a reason they make alignment tools. Mounts should be mounted perfectly perpendicular to the axis of the bore, that way the axis of the scope tube will center itself on the axis of the bore. When you do this, it requires very little windage adjustment on the scope. Ive actually seen some huge poi discrepancies on rifles that had scopes not running perfectly down the centerline axis of the bore. When sighted in at 100 yards, their horizontal poi changed by more than 12 inches at 400 yards. When shooting short distances, its not much of a concern, but when stretching it out, it could cost you a game animal. All the more reason to center your crosshairs optically and then adjust the mounting system for true center.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
rick,

It won't, but it helps determine if the problem is in the scope, mounts or rifle.

Often scopes get blamed for running out of adjustment, when the most common problem these days is in the mounts (or how it was mounted), and sometimes in the rifle itself.

Yes, sometimes there is a little wiggle room in the mounts themselves. A lot of guys think you can just throw a set on and screw everything together and you are fine. Simple truth of the matter is it doesnt always work that way. Theres a reason they make alignment tools. Mounts should be mounted perfectly perpendicular to the axis of the bore, that way the axis of the scope tube will center itself on the axis of the bore. When you do this, it requires very little windage adjustment on the scope. Ive actually seen some huge poi discrepancies on rifles that had scopes not running perfectly down the centerline axis of the bore. When sighted in at 100 yards, their horizontal poi changed by more than 12 inches at 400 yards. When shooting short distances, its not much of a concern, but when stretching it out, it could cost you a game animal. All the more reason to center your crosshairs optically and then adjust the mounting system for true center.

What a revelation. I'm sure MD was clueless about this before you enlightened him.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
rick,

Where the turrets twisted for the 400 yards shot? Or are you saying the point of impact was off 12” at 400 yards while still on at 100 yards?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Just as a follow up, it was the mounts. I put the Burris rings and bases on ,and its game on now. Thank you all for the help and education!

Glad to learn that it all worked out!

Guy

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
Leupold bases and rings with windage adjustments if they make them or Burris signature Zee rings with the off set inserts.

THIS ^^^^^

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 23 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,211
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.