Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Have you ever got frustrated trying to find a load for a certain bullet and tried something off the wall that worked exceptionally well? A few that come to mind for me is IMR4831 and Reloder 23 with 154 SP Hornady in a 7mm-08. My favorite though is Lever revolution with 170 gr fn Hornady in a 300 Savage. These loads all go half inch or less all day every day. Shouldnt surprise me tho... R23 and IMR4831 seem to work in everything. What are some that you folks have stumbled onto?

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a contrary 243 that refused to comply will the recommended powders. On a whim, I took some 4320 off the shelf and tried it with 100 gr Nosler Solid Bases. Bingo: consistentl 3/4” or better groups.

And the Nosler discontinued the bullet...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by southtexas
Had a contrary 243 that refused to comply will the recommended powders. On a whim, I took some 4320 off the shelf and tried it with 100 gr Nosler Solid Bases. Bingo: consistentl 3/4” or better groups.

I think I have a couple of boxes of them...

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by southtexas

Funny you had that experience.

Years ago while doing some load development for on of my .280s, I decided to burn some 4320 for fouling shots since I had about a sixth of a pound someone had given me. I don't recall which bullet I was working with but I chose an arbitrary charge in the middle of the recommended range. I think velocity was supposed to have been about 2500 fps, which didn't matter at all for my purposes. I'll be damned if the load didn't print three in about one fourth of an inch. Quarter inch groups don't normally irritate me, but it did that day.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one I had before that was a bit unusual in that it is a fast burning powder was RL 15 with a whole pile of different 165 gr bullets in a 300 WSM I had. They all shot very well at around 3050 fps or so.

Gerry.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My 260 shot 120 gr Nosler ballistic tips ok with the usual suspects. On a whim I tried Benchmark and the groups got much tighter.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DoeDumper
Have you ever got frustrated trying to find a load for a certain bullet and tried something off the wall that worked exceptionally well? A few that come to mind for me is IMR4831 and Reloder 23 with 154 SP Hornady in a 7mm-08. My favorite though is Lever revolution with 170 gr fn Hornady in a 300 Savage. These loads all go half inch or less all day every day. Shouldnt surprise me tho... R23 and IMR4831 seem to work in everything. What are some that you folks have stumbled onto?

Here we go again with this "1/2" all day long every day" bs.... I don't have a "1/2" all day long gun, but some are close. My AR load works equally well in my bolt action. It's loaded short to fit in the AR mags. Probably running around .090" off the lands on the bolt gun, but it still works great. Not a "developed" load for this rifle, but it works:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Here we go again with this "1/2" all day long every day" bs.... I don't have a "1/2" all day long gun, but some are close. My AR load works equally well in my bolt action. It's loaded short to fit in the AR mags. Probably running around .090" off the lands on the bolt gun, but it still works great. Not a "developed" load for this rifle, but it works:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My sympathies... Perhaps put the keyboard down and go to the bench or range occasionally and things may get better for you.

Last edited by DoeDumper; 06/11/19.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Been quite a few years now, about 1981 or82 as I recall. Saw and ad in the paper where someone was selling a Ruger M77 RSI in .308 Win. at a damn low price. I'd been wanting one for some time so I called the guy and he said he hadn't sold it. Well, long story short he was selling it because it was the most inaccurate rifle he's ever owned. I even got the price reduced another $50 but it did come home with me. It took a bit over two years trying to find a load that was at least acceptable for hunting. I set the standard at 1.5" or less on a consistent basis. Ended up with a hot load using W760 and the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core. Switch to a Sierra or Hornady bullet of the same weight and things turn to crap again. Did a little tinkering with the metal nose cap on the stock with a Dremel tool and cratex tip and groups now run closer to 1.25" most of the time.

I saw two more Ruger M77 RSIs for sale over then next few years, all in .308 that wouldn't group for their owners and got into them cheap. The "magic load" worked just fine in both guns. The load only did about 2550 FPS according to the chronograph from them and 2610 FPS from a 22" barrel but I did take deer from about 35 feet to one shot as a lasered 250 yards. Guess I've taken about 16 deer with that first rifle and it is a keeper. I'd keep one of the others as well as it was my late wife's rifle that she used when she hunted with me.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My sympathies... Perhaps put the keyboard down and go to the bench or range occasionally and things may get better for you.

POPCORN!!!

Shidt just got real.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

What kind of velocity are you getting from the RL23, How much are you getting in the case. I used a 150gr Sierra BT with RL26 53gr very compressed in my 7mm-08
I got 2828 fps. Also I,m slowly working on a superformance load for same 7mm-08. I wondered about leverevolution, did not try it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All my groups are eleventeen.

All day.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sounds like you need to prove you have a real 1/2 moa rifle. I know just the thread in the ar and tactical rifle forum. Look it up, its called "the moa all day long" challenge . In other words, "put up or shut up".

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

My 7mm Mag would only go up to 68.6gr of RL26 but I got 3101 fps using 160grTrophy Bonded Tipped. Some days I got a little more.
If I could get that extra .5 gr RL26 in my 7mm-08 I might get 2875 with 150gr Partitions. I can get a little over 2900 with RL17 and PP2000mr
using 140gr bullets. Your accuracy is better than mine though. Must be my age.

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I used H870 once in a .223 on accident. It shot .6 on avr. for that box I loaded. Dirty stuff so I never bothered loading more.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Sounds like you need to prove you have a real 1/2 moa rifle. I know just the thread in the ar and tactical rifle forum. Look it up, its called "the moa all day long" challenge . In other words, "put up or shut up".

Ok,

That funny.

Someone telling the guy posting targets of his 10 shot groups that he needs to go shoot more???

BSA,

Since when did you become a keyboard commando who doesn't shoot enough? laugh

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
In response to the OP,

BLc(2) behind a 200gr NBT in the .338 Win Mag.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
260 and H1000

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
665 members (12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 78 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.