Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The soaring music like something big is about to happen.

The baritone voice telling you how big a deal this is.

The slow motion shot of hunting boots splashing through a shallow creek.

The backslapping that ensues.

Never honor the animal by saying "Thank you" and stroke the fur.

Rant Over

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget the fist bumping, kneeling and praying, and jumping around celebrating that monster trophy six point dink.

Oh and on the LR shows the pictures of the animal shot don't always match the animal "recovered" the next day because they were to far away to tract that evening.

Also, hunting the "named animals" Ole mossy, drop tine buck, etc, etc, etc.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
No one forces you to watch. Turn the channel if those shows bother you. Easier than pissing and moaning on the 'fire.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On an evening hunt, "He ran so we're gonna back off and come back in the morning" is just code for "We're gonna let the animal sit overnight so we have better camera light in the morning."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh the humanity of our first world problems....

Todd

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I can't say I have ever honored an animal by saying "thank you" right after I put a bullet in it. I do feel that if you're not excited after shooting something you should get a different hobby that does make you excited when you're successful. Ever given a handshake and give a sincere "congrats" to someone who just killed a deer? It's not a fist bump, but the meaning is the same. It just may not be everyone's way.

Call me a shïtty, unethical hunter. I don't care. Doing everything exactly the way the OP seems to desire won't change the anti's mind. Maybe some middle ground folks, but not the ones that really matter. I don't know if I'll put a picture up on the 'net of me riding a dead elk like it's a bull or anything, but I sure as hell won't bow to the anti's by not getting excited after shooting something I have put a lot of effort into shooting.

Rant over.

S
S
My favorite show, Meat Eater, doesn’t appear to fit this mold...

Last wish? I wish... you had... more time.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
OP, where's the link to the shows you've filmed? Kidding aside, there are some trends in the hunting shows like you mentioned that annoy me too. Probably the biggest is the whispering when they are getting out of the car or miles from their intended hunting area. I have several elk hunting videos posted on youtube and learned what viewers like and dislike over the years. The biggest thing I've learned is there's always someone somewhere that will hate what you've done.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Newberg and Rinella are the only shows of that nature I care to watch. IMHO a grown man that identifies as a “Deer Thug” does not represent the sport in a positive light.

Last edited by AKduck; 06/11/19.

Yup.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I can't say I have ever honored an animal by saying "thank you" right after I put a bullet in it. I do feel that if you're not excited after shooting something you should get a different hobby that does make you excited when you're successful. Ever given a handshake and give a sincere "congrats" to someone who just killed a deer? It's not a fist bump, but the meaning is the same. It just may not be everyone's way.

Call me a shïtty, unethical hunter. I don't care. Doing everything exactly the way the OP seems to desire won't change the anti's mind. Maybe some middle ground folks, but not the ones that really matter. I don't know if I'll put a picture up on the 'net of me riding a dead elk like it's a bull or anything, but I sure as hell won't bow to the anti's by not getting excited after shooting something I have put a lot of effort into shooting.

Rant over.

This^^^^ There are many excellent hunts and hunters on You Tube as well as the jerks. If I finally kill a wolf I will probably jump backwards through my a whole.grin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
OP, where's the link to the shows you've filmed? Kidding aside, there are some trends in the hunting shows like you mentioned that annoy me too. Probably the biggest is the whispering when they are getting out of the car or miles from their intended hunting area. I have several elk hunting videos posted on youtube and learned what viewers like and dislike over the years. The biggest thing I've learned is there's always someone somewhere that will hate what you've done.

We not only whisper getting out of the truck but we often close the doors softly. But there's also no reason to think there can't be a Deer within 200 yards of anywhere I happen to park.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
No one forces you to watch. Turn the channel if those shows bother you. Easier than pissing and moaning on the 'fire.

Yeah maybe you’d be better off watching Ellen.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKduck
Newberg and Rinella are the only shows of that nature I care to watch. IMHO a grown man that identifies as a “Deer Thug” does not represent the sport in a positive light.

Me too!

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
can't say I watch them anymore as the TV was figuratively shot over 15 years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing that bugs me is when they video everything from packing their gear, kissing the wife and kids goodbye, shopping for gear, buying their tags, loading gear on the float plane, staring longingly as the plane fly's away, bacon frying in the pan, lacing up their boots, etc... I know it's all meant to show the "flavor" of the hunt, but in many cases it burns 15 minutes of the 21 minute show. Leave out the background music.

I'd way sooner see them sit down and interview the outfitter or guide and ask them questions about the game they are hunting, gear, tactics they use, and what makes or breaks a hunt in the opinion of the guide/outfitter. I think this is where many youtube videos have it right. You get to see and learn about country and animals you may never personally see all with no commercials or over-the-top advertising with gear the celebrity hunter is using

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've always taken a moment to reflect on the fact that I've taken a life and to appreciate the animal or it's involuntary sacrifice, if not overtly thanking it. Have taught my girls to do the same.

Fist bumps? No, never. We shake hands and hug.

Whisper and close close the doors softly? Often - but depends on where we are. Not much point when you're hunting elk in the sage and can literally see far further than voices or door slams would carry. (Miles in some cases.)

Hunting shows, as a rule, turn me off, but so do many gun rag articles about hunting, especially when they claim they took a shot because they couldn't get closer. "They" as in hunter, guide(s) and camera and sound crew. Hell, no wonder they can't get closer.

For me it is kind of like my relationship with pro sports. Enjoyed sports as a kid when I played them but never could get excited about watching them. Pro football is the lone exception and even then I'm an unabashed fair-weather fan and very selective. Used to know several players and wife taught a couple (including Roger Craig), so we watched their teams when we could. We do watch the Broncos, but on DVR delay so we can skip the commercials. Bronco's Sunday is a great day to go to the range.

I don't care that the hunting videos are made, although I have no respect for the methods and actions of some of the people in them. Nor do I care if people watch them. I have better things to do. I'm more likely to read an article in the gun rags, but even those I often skip.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Morewood
The soaring music like something big is about to happen.

The baritone voice telling you how big a deal this is.

The slow motion shot of hunting boots splashing through a shallow creek.

The backslapping that ensues.

Never honor the animal by saying "Thank you" and stroke the fur.

Rant Over

Solo hunter shows where the guy is carrying his iphone on a stick are horrendous

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seems to me most of the shows are about getting big antlers. As meat hunters, antlers don't count for much with my group.

What is important to me is the social aspect of the hunt. Over the years I've hunted with very good friends, a couple real losers and a lot of family. The good friends are gone with one exception and these days it is mostly family, whether antelope in WY or deer and elk in CO. (I joke we rent out the west wing of the hotel in WY.) Whether I get an animal or not takes a back seat to helping family members get theirs, even though that attitude has cost me several elk in the last few years. No biggie,

When Daughter #1 gets her first elk - hopefully this year, after 3 years of trying - there will be a lot of hugs, handshakes and backslaps. Those that don't think such behavior is appropriate are advised not to watch.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I enjoy Solo Hunter. Great country, mostly public land DIY and shows the difficulty of real hunting, especially the solo aspect magnified by trying to film the hunt. Those guys cover a lot of tough country and hunt for meat as well as racks.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Rant over.

Agree 100%.

The problem with hunting shows is there is a target audience and most middle to above average hunters do not fall into that audience. A show makes money by sponsors. The show must pay the network for the airtime. Sponsors want to see ratings and high viewing numbers. No different than the major network TV shows. I have no desire to sit in front of a TV period personally. I rather be outdoors living life.

Newberg and Rinella, Ben O'Brian, John Lee the "GUIDE" and the whole BHA you can keep. I have no use for them. But if tuning into their stuff makes you happy so be it.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.