Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
My S-II is bulletproof after several years.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've got a Big Sky Sightron and it's a good piece of glass.

Yeah, mine is a 6x42 and I really like it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am afraid I bought maybe their only lemon model . A 3-12x42 sii. Was bright, tracked perfectly, nice clicks but just an awful eyebox. Appears I wasn't the only one with the issues- but as far as anything I read other models didn't have this problem. Most love their Sightrons.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My SII's and Big Skys are great. It's a shame that they, along with Nikon and most others, have abandoned light- to moderate weight quality hunting scopes.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Agreed, PA Bob. I went to their website and did not see anything that tripped my trigger. RJ

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a new S111 8-32 with that tiny little speck for a dot in it I was going to use on my 280 Ackley for long range fun. I have it mounted on the gun and it has sit there for 2 years and not been used yet. I need someone to shoot with is my main problem. ANYWAY... I am sure I love the scope... I JUST DON'T KNOW IT YET !! HA !! Some one needs it for $800 + shipping, they could talk me out of it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Boringly dependable scopes that work, I have one on a rim fire and on the old Ruger 06 that my son & nephew have dragged through the woods hunting deer & elk. If those 2 can’t knock it off zero gorillas & water buffaloes don’t stand a chance. S2 3-9x42 is the model that has been so resistant to clumsy young men who cover lots of ground in rough country.

Recommended one to a buddy he was disappointed- not from lack of function or performance- this scope is boring was his complaint. Not the most practical man he had lots of trouble with cheap scopes and didn’t like his Leupold. He isn’t a great rifle shot but kills lots of elk & deer. To my knowledge he has not sighted in his rifle (300 Weatherby) in 3 years - killed a bull all 3 years - I’d say that is good performance.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
They are solid scopes...but incredibly lacking in relevant features such as FFP, zero stop, decent turrets, etc....

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by liliysdad
They are solid scopes...but incredibly lacking in relevant features such as FFP, zero stop, decent turrets, etc....

The current models are offered in ffp, with a zero stop.

https://sightronusa.com/riflescopes/siii-first-focal-plane-series/

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I realize that, but its a very limited and not exactly breathtaking assortment.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I wonder if guys like Formidilosus have torture tested any Sightrons.

I've wondered about how they would fare.

I've had a couple but only one that's really been beat on. It's an OLD 2.5x32 fixed power. It's been on a bunch of guns, the longest time was on a turkey shotgun shooting heavy loads. The tube and bell are dented. It's never lost 0 and has adjusted perfectly. It's on an AR now.

The S-TAC 2-10x32 looks interesting to me as a set and forget scope.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by liliysdad

I would disagree with the decent turret part.

I now have two SIII's, and 8-32 and a 6-24. I can't comment on the rest of their models. It's true that they don't have all the features that the tactical market wants but to be fair they weren't designed as tactical scopes, they're designed as basic long range target scopes that track reliably and have good glass at a reasonable price. For my purposes, long range plinking and prairie dog shooting, they work great because I don't need the mentioned features.

I just got the 6-24 a week or so ago and it replaced a burris veracity 5-25 which does have all the cool features but unfortunately didn't possess one of the most important features, that is glass that doesn't look like you're peering through the bottom of a coke bottle. I got increasingly frustrated with it on my last PD shoot with it's poor image quality and mirage handling. When I got the SIII I took the burris off of my 20 practical and mounted the sightron. I put it on the bench, took the bolt out and bore sighted it at 100 yds. Fired one shot, it was 5" left, dialed 20 clicks right then the next shot took out the center of my target dot. I fired four more shots in rapid succession and the 5 rnd group was about 3/8". Pretty boringly simple when the scope does what it's supposed to do and having just removed the burris I was grinning from ear to ear after looking through the signtron, the difference in glass quality is night and day.

I haven't put the 6-24 through it's paces but my 8-32 has been dead on reliable in it's tracking in the years I've had it, I trust it as much as my nightforce which is something I can't say about any other scope I have. I hear people say they don't trust the sightrons to be as durable as a nightforce but I've never heard of anyone actually breaking an SIII, they usually follow up it up by saying they feel that way because they're not as heavy as a nightforce. I'm sure someone has broken one, just like some have broken nightforces, but you don't hear about it much.

Anyhow, there seems to be a $2000 price point that it takes before you can get all the features you want and have good glass with spot on tracking in a higher magnification scope. If you can live without the zero stop and FFP then the SIII's have quality glass, tracking & reliability for a lot less than that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been running a SIII 6-24 or 8-32 with LRMOA reticle as my go to scope for several years. Never had an issue with any, and I have several. The only feature I'd like that they don't have is a zerostop. I get around this by using Burris sig XTR rings and using the spacers to bottom out the scopes travel just below my 200 yard zero. This leaves me the scopes entire travel available and provides a poor mans zerostop.

Also, Sightron makes a FFP SIII 6-24 with simple holdover reticles or Horus type reticles. They also have SIII models with illumination now.

Last edited by slm9s; 06/20/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
The S-TAC 2-10x32 looks interesting to me as a set and forget scope.

I have one new in box with plex reticle I'd sell. Too many scopes and no place to put them.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
685 members (12344mag, 160user, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.