Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been looking at these on-line and they seem to get good reviews. I haven't seen a lot of bellyaching about their performance or durability, but it could be that I'm looking in all the wrong places...who knows. I did buy two of them a while back, one a 36x that was just waaaaay too much scope for my purposes and the other an SII that I ended up selling to a young coworker before I ever got a chance to use it. I thought the SII was pretty nice, optically but only had it outdoors one time during bright daylight.

So, first hand experience---good or bad? How reliable and durable are they, and how well does Sightron back up their products?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Friend had an Sii that he spoke highly of. I picked up an Si 3-9 for a walking varminter, easy to get behind, like the HHR reticle, tracks very well, glass is mediocre, but hey it was $79.99. A steal for that price. I was going to buy a Sii as I’ve heard others speak highly of the glass, but they are discontinued. Everybody wants a 6-24 anymore I guess.

Last edited by TomM1; 06/10/19.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
They adjust per stated value.
They RTZ if ya wanta play with different loads and record the dope.
They hold zero.
The glass on my SII 3-9x42s (3 of em) is clear and crisp edge to edge.
The eye box comes up easy and doesn't black or white out without delibrately trying too.

They do all 3 things a leupold wont do basically.
Adjust per stated value ,rtz, and hold zero...

Lifetime warranty for original buyer.
Price difference upgrade for discontinued models.

Plenty of discontinued models out their for sale.
But now they go for top dollar.
I purchased one nib from a place in ND for 135 shipped.
And 2 from members on here NIB for 125 to 135.
Just keep your eyes open
Sierra trading post had a fire sale on the SII,s last year.
Guys on here were snagging em like crazy.
I drug my feet and they was gone.
I have seen em online from 175 to 280 ish now, used and nib.

I have seen SII,s 1.75-6×42,s
Big sky 3.5- 10 x42,s

I used a SI 3-9x40 on my daughters H&R USH 20 ga
Shooting Hastings 410 gr slugs.
Hardest recoiling gun I ever shot honestly.

Shot alot and I mean alot of those rds.
That scope never lost zero

Really the only issue i have with some of their models is short tube main body lenght
On my mod 70 ot6 and my 8mm sako mauser
I have about 1/8th to 3/ 16ths ring clearance on the ends.
But their are off set rings for that also if ya need that.

Last edited by renegade50; 06/10/19.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with everything above,but have been told by a Sightron customer service rep that the warranty is not limited to the original owner...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a S2 6X HBR with fine crosshairs for a number of years on one of my .22’s and I was pleased overall on the performance. If I had to nit pick, the eye box was a little critical in my opinion. The tracking was spot on and it held its zero without fault. Overall very nice experience.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Bull64
I agree with everything above,but have been told by a Sightron customer service rep that the warranty is not limited to the original owner...

That's cool then.
I thought it was for original owner.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
SIII's have very nice glass!

MAGA! This is the way!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
IMO there is always a better option than Sightron

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Such as?

I have no interest in FFP or spending two grand on a scope. I might spring for a Nightforce SHV or three down the road but not anytime soon. I'm interested in scopes in the $350 to $700 price range.

What is your actual experience owning and using Sightron scopes?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I have one on a muzzleloader. Put it on in the mid-2000s and haven’t touched it since. It has never moved a bit. I don’t find it to be as forgiving as a Leupold to get behind but haven’t had any issues. Mine is a 1.5-6x42 and I like it but I’m not a dialer, long range shooter and I live in the east.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've got an 8-32 SIII that I've had for years that sits on a prairie dog rifle. I just got back from a hunt and I carried it along with a rifle scoped with a Nightforce 8-32 NSX. I'd never had them out side by side but shooting several days that had a lot of mirage I came to the conclusion that the glass in the sightron is every bit as good as the Nightforce. Not bad for a scope that cost 1/3 the price of the nightforce. I also had a rifle with a 5-25 burris veracity and I just ordered a sightron 6-24 SIII to replace the burris, the glass in the burris just isn't workable in the mirage, the sightron impressed me so much I'm giving the 6-24 a try.

The sightron doesn't have the features of some high dollar scopes like a zero stop, illumination, and high speed turrets but my 8-32 has always tracked perfectly and has held up perfectly too, I've had no problems at all with it. The number of guys using them in F class and long range benchrest shows how much faith they have in them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a Big Sky Sightron and it's a good piece of glass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a few Sightron SI's over the years and still have one. I would compare them to a Leupold Vx-1 when they made them. I honestly would buy the higher end Sightrons if I could find a local store that carried them since I haven't seen one in person in about 12 years.

Last edited by Hudge; 06/11/19.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JDK
I have one on a muzzleloader. Put it on in the mid-2000s and haven’t touched it since. It has never moved a bit. I don’t find it to be as forgiving as a Leupold to get behind but haven’t had any issues. Mine is a 1.5-6x42 and I like it but I’m not a dialer, long range shooter and I live in the east.

That is the magnification I have seen used for sale every now and then.
I thought it's high end was 7.
You are correct.
I would like to find one in really good shape and put it on my ml.
1.5 mag would be perfect for me . 6 to zoom up and check racks at distance.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by boatanchor

Such as?

I have no interest in FFP or spending two grand on a scope. I might spring for a Nightforce SHV or three down the road but not anytime soon. I'm interested in scopes in the $350 to $700 price range.

What is your actual experience owning and using Sightron scopes?

You can get a really nice SII or SIII Big Sky model NIB online in that price range. Just gotta surf and hunt one down.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I bought 2 S-TACs from Optics Planet when they were on sale ($302 for the 4-20 and $245 for the 3-16), nice glass, I haven't used the 3-16. I put the 4-20 on a Ruger Target/Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor and sighted it in. Shots 6,7 and 8 went into the same hole. I then took the rifle to shooting school and dialed out to 900 yards hitting smaller than usual gongs. I did run out of elevation at 1000, I needed 31.3 MOA and I only had 30 MOA , if the scope had zero stop it would have been no problem. I dialed 30 MOA, then Kentuckied at 1000 yards and hit. I shot in the pouring rain for two days straight and cleaned my scope lenses by pouring water on them. Always returned to 100 yard zero. It was a bit dicey remembering where zero was. Glass is clear, for $300, you can't beat it!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sightron scopes just work.Nothing flashy,no bells and whistles.True value for the dollar that is usually not found in the riflescope industry...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had 2 S-II's over the years, a 3-9 and a 1.5-6. Both were nice clear scopes, for me 3x on the bottom end is a little tooo much and I put it on a rifle that I swapped for a duck boat from my buddy, he likes the scope and it has been reliable for him. Now the 1.5-6x42 is one of my favorite coyote hunting scopes. I have four 1.5-6 scopes from different makers and the Sightron stays on my goto pelt hunting rifle. Like most things that really work well for me, it was discontinued.

Rank pelt but the scope worked perfect

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 06/11/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if guys like Formidilosus have torture tested any Sightrons.

The ones that interest me are the SIIIs in 3.5-10x and 6-24x. The 6-24s are priced a bit higher than I what have in mind, but they're do-able---given time.

Still interested in alternatives, too. Just want to avoid Chinese stuff and probably most Philippine stuff. Not interested in Vortex but may look closer at Tract and Burris.

I believe the S-TACs are Fillipino made (IIRC) but I could overlook that if the workmanship and durability are there.

Good comments so far and I appreciate it.

Don't be the darkness.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've had a Sii 3-12 on my main deer rifle for almost 20 years, I tried to swap it out for nicer scopes, but I always end up putting the SII back on. Just picked a new one up in 4-16AO for a 22 target shooting. 180 shipped...great scope for the money. There should be some good deals at there on them with just a little bit of searching.

As far as a torture test, not really, mine did take a hard fall when we had a four wheeler flip on us once. It made it through that just fine and didn't lose zero.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 48 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.