Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Prwlr
Originally Posted by smokepole

I'd rather see it going to the MDs responsbile for treating people.

They're the ones adding the kind of value I'm interested in.

Originally Posted by Valsdad
Bingo

I understand what you are saying, but what company is going to hire these MDs without making a profit. It has become practically impossible for MDs to have a private practice, too much overhead.

I think what some of us are trying to get across is that we don't mind the Capitalist, for profit, method of doing business. It's just that in our minds the ones who should be getting a bigger piece of the pie are the providers themselves, and not administrators and "CEO's".

In the models I mentioned, Credit Unions and Electrical Co-ops, the administrators are not grossly overcompensated, which takes away benefits from the membership (stakeholders). If they were to attempt it, the membership would likely put a stop to it. When the stakeholders (the patients) are not shareholders they have no control over the compensation for the Admin folks.

Money moves in both scenarios, it just moves differently and personally (and it seems to some others) we just wish it would move to the actual service providers in the form of more of them hired/retained, and higher compensation for them also.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you see an NP or a PA, is 'doctor' the correct title to give them? They're not full fledged doctors but what else would you call them?

A masters level NP can go on to get a doctorate in NP. I'd call them "doctor".

Not sure about PA's.

NP's have to go into a specific field, are often well versed in that field. As such, I tend to put them ahead of PA's, but it depends on the individual.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Bingo

I understand what you are saying, but what company is going to hire these MDs without making a profit. It has become practically impossible for MDs to have a private practice, too much overhead.
Hah, we've got an MD with a private practice in a small town near here. The building he practices out of is right across the street from his house and he owns it. His wife acts as his receptionist and nurse. My brother does their taxes every year and says they net nearly a million a year.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Bingo

Hah, we've got an MD with a private practice in a small town near here. The building he practices out of is right across the street from his house and he owns it. His wife acts as his receptionist and nurse. My brother does their taxes every year and says they net nearly a million a year.

Your brother shouldn't be revealing that kinda info about his clients. It's not professional.

He wouldn't be my accountant very long.

Small town stuff. Too many knowing too much., blabbing too much...

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you see an NP or a PA, is 'doctor' the correct title to give them? They're not full fledged doctors but what else would you call them?

A masters level NP can go on to get a doctorate in NP. I'd call them "doctor".

Not sure about PA's.

NP's have to go into a specific field, are often well versed in that field. As such, I tend to put them ahead of PA's, but it depends on the individual.

DF

The problem is that it is confusing to the customer are you seeing a NP who has a doctoral degree in Nursing or an MD who has a degree in medicine, 2 horses of different colors. Like the difference in seeing a psychologist and a psychiatrist. A psychologist had a degree in psychology, a psychiatrist has a degree in psychiatric medicine (MD).

I think to some extent the title of "doctor" is tied to ego. I have heard some NPs saying they can't wait to hang a shingle calling themselves "doctor", it is not the same thing. These same NPs seem to believe that they are better than doctors (MD) without the same degree of education. The education pathway is very different.

With NPs as well as PAs much is left to the individual. Some continue to research and expand their understanding of the field and some just think they know it all on graduation never get any better. But I have heard many more NPs say that "this is the way I was taught and this is the way I will ALWAYS do this than I have heard PAs say the same thing. I will say that many NPs are far more willing to actually listen to patient than PAs and MDs. I think that the the board exam idea of PAs is far better than the NP certification. PAs like physicians have to retake boards every 6 years to remain certified. NPs take a one time certification exam and only require a certain number of education "hours" of credit every 3 years to maintain certification. While there are no education requirements per se for PAs the board exams reflect changes in practice over time so PAs have to keep up to continue passing the exam.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Bingo

Your brother shouldn't be revealing that kinda info about his clients. It's not professional.

DF
I'm sure he doesn't spread it around and neither do I. He is my brother and we do tell each other suff duhh. Seems like you'd know that. Now I'm sure you'll come back and say I just said something about it on the internet but what town where and what's his name ?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I know just how complex medicine is today.It takes a lot of expertise It takes a team.I am not talking about your trip to the family doctor for your flu shot.When it is hospital time you want a team on your side and this is what we are losing.Still some great folks around but in time we are going to be just a number.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bingo

DF

This is more the exception than the rule. Many small towns are finding themselves without doctors. Also it is not just a doctor in this case but a family business with the nurse/receptionist/wife being a part of it and not added over head.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Bingo

DF

This is more the exception than the rule. Many small towns are finding themselves without doctors. Also it is not just a doctor in this case but a family business with the nurse/receptionist/wife being a part of it and not added over head.

That is rare. A ghost of the past, fast fading away.

Kudos to that family for what they’ve put together. Most grads come out with a quarter mil school debt, looking for relief. Most with that debt load don’t actually have the credit to establish a free standing practice, have little or no business expertise, gladly grab a job with a check. Really, they don’t have much choice.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've yet to see a poor doctor. I know a bunch of them around here. They all live in nice houses, many with considerable acreage, drive expensive new vehicles and go on vacations regularly. Seems about half the time I need to make an appointment with my primary care doctor he's on vacation and isn't going to be back for 2-3 weeks. Pretty tough to feel sorry for them.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Seems about half the time I need to make an appointment with my primary care doctor he's on vacation and isn't going to be back for 2-3 weeks. Pretty tough to feel sorry for them.

Ya reckon that's just what they're telling ya...?

Do you have caller ID..?

Hmmm...

DF

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
124 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 15 invisible), 1,857 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,672
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.