Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For the past 3 months, I've had a noise coming through the cab of my tractor....and it's worried me crazy. I first thought something was loose and tried finding it, but couldn't find anything. I then thought maybe it was an issue with the clutch or transmission, and was just about ready to take it to the local repair shop and have them take a look at it. My nephew, a farmer who is also a very good mechanic, drove it Sunday and he said he thought it was something loose and vibrating. So, yesterday I crawled back up under the tractor and went to looking for whatever it was that was driving me nuts.

There it was, in plain view......a bolt had come out of the steps where they bolted onto the frame up under the cab, leaving only one bolt holding it and when the tractor was moving, they were vibrating. Put a bolt in and tightened everything up, ran the bush hog several hours yesterday afternoon, and no more noise.

Now, if I could just find that little leak in the A/C system, I'd be happy. I have to add a can of Freon every few months, and though it's no big deal, I'd just as soon find the leak and fix it.

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
smile

Glad you found it!

I have a rattle noise in my small tractor when I have the brakes set. Hit the brake release, and it goes away... Go figure.

You tried that a/c leak detector die yet?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've had two people work on the A/C, one that knew what they were doing, and one I'm not sure about. They say they can't find a leak. I'm suspecting it is in a line that is covered up, maybe where it goes through the cab. Anyway, I'm buying a case of Freon at a time, for 3.49 a can, and if I go through a case in a years time, it's still cheaper than having a shop to even look at it, let alone repair it. If I was planning on keeping the tractor, I'd go ahead and fix it, but we're planning on trading it if my son can ever find what he's looking for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a leak like that one time and the Schrader valve was loose. Easy fix if that's all it is.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Several years ago, I had a leak in the expansion valve, which is located in the top of the cab. Replaced it, and was told the rest of the system checked out fine. It still leaked down, which told me that it might not have been the valve. Tractor A/C,s take a lot of abuse, from the dust to the rough riding, and it's a wonder they work as well as they do.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Could someone please explain what it is like to have an air conditioned tractor? The very concept of it is almost mind boggling to me.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
Could someone please explain what it is like to have an air conditioned tractor? The very concept of it is almost mind boggling to me.

If you have a tractor with a cab, and use it in warm and hot weather, you have to either take all the windows and doors off, or have an A/C. There are few things as hot as the cab of a tractor in hot weather.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Its kind of like riding around in a big aquarium, and with the AC on , your beer stays colder way longer !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jimy
Its kind of like riding around in a big aquarium, and with the AC on , your beer stays colder way longer !

laugh

With the bees, yellow jackets, and dust created by my shredders, cabs are not optional to me.

The a/c in my big tractor works as well as the one in my pickup. Freeze ya out! smile

Small tractor is under a/c'ed for 100 degree, bright sunshine days.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by jimy

laugh

With the bees, yellow jackets, and dust created by my shredders, cabs are not optional to me.

The a/c in my big tractor works as well as the one in my pickup. Freeze ya out! smile

Small tractor is under a/c'ed for 100 degree, bright sunshine days.

Check your Private messages.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A couple of times I would have appreciated a heater!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

I bet, where you are.

Here, even on a cold day, I rarely use the heater. It'll run you outta there!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only tractor with a cab that I ever had was a 70s IH 1086. By the time I acquired it in the early nineties, it had been rode pretty hard. I never even tried to get the AC running. So the doors came off and the back window was propped open as much as possible. I think I did find a little twelve volt fan that I screwed to the roof and that helped a little.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Gawd!

I have a couple 1086's....they are really easy to get the ac going.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ironbender
I bet, where you are.

Here, even on a cold day, I rarely use the heater. It'll run you outta there!

On a positive note, I seldom have to move snow below zero. Hat, gloves, boots, and good to go.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
556 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,735
Posts18,401,057
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.