-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I would go with the 9mm in an HP bullet.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
So the 230 grain 45 ACP trucking along at 800 fps vs. the 9mm 124 grain bullet moving at 1200 fps, which one wins?

Is that what you get from this discussion? You comparing apples to oranges. How about a 124 grain 9mm at 1000 FPS versus the same bullet at 1200 FPS.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
monumental flap point

Is that a politician thing? grin

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Consider a expanding bullet at 1500 fps. Assume it expands. Now consider the same bullet at 2000 fps. Assume the bullet construction is such that the greater velocity causes it to expand to a larger diameter. It creates a larger wound channel due to the both greater diameter and (probably) velocity.

....Unless that larger diameter (or fragmentation) limits penetration too much. Then it may actually be a smaller wound channel, if the animal is large enough.

If you are going to get into a discussion about the OP's question, you are going to have to talk about how the bullet behaves.

Yes, definitely.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No sir, no bullshitting, under 2200 or so fps the temporary wound channel is the wound channel. If you shoot a 45 caliber bullet the collateral damage under 2200 fps is limited to a smaller area around the bullet channel. When you reach a certain velocity then the temporary wound channel expansion is permanent. First I would not want to shoot a bear with a 5.56 as penetration would not be there. OTOH at 40-50 yards a 55 grain FMJ 5.56 round into your chest will FYU, and you probably will not make the hospital. A 44 magnum 255 grain slug thru the same hole if it was off center might not kill you. It AINT hydrostatic shock, its when yo tissue cannot stretch any further and it just tears. The collateral damage is just greater with high velocity rounds. I noticed while hunting that a 5.56 thru a deers chest under 100 yards will kill them just as fast or faster than a 30-06 at the same distance...poor comparison I guess.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jwp475

GunDoc7, when the velocity is increased so is the momentum along with the hydraulic pressure both add to the wound channel. Many tend to forget that depth of wound channel is also part of the total volume.

I do understand the physics. But I don't have enough experience to say what works best.

My question about "monometal" was because to me "monometal" means the expanding copper bullets such as the Barnes bullets especially the rifle bullets. While a lead bullet is also made of one metal, I tend to call them swaged, cast, or hard cast.

If I understand you experience and argument correctly, given equal diameter, shape, and meplat diameter, within reason one should trade weight for velocity. For example, a 250 grain hard cast .44 is better than a slower 300 grain hard cast .44 as long as the 250 grain gives sufficient penetration for the animal and the angle. This is because any energy the bullet has as it exits the animal is essentially wasted. If you are of the "complete penetration is good" school of thought (as I am) the ideal situation is for the bullet to exit with very little remaining velocity. Correct?

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No your wrong gundoc7, if the felt recoil from the revolver is greater then it has to be a better killer.. (sorry I am being insensitive) caveat on big game penetration is more important.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That "wasted energy" is the toll which must be paid for insuring complete penetration, since what the projectile hits and what it does when it hits is not completely in the control of the shooter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
this is all JWP stirring the s-hit. On Lightweight animals, velocity is more important than penetration and on heavy animals penetration is more important than velocity.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
but if you have a 50 caliber bullet traveling at 3000 FPS, what could you hold onto that could fire it?It would be awesome.

Last edited by jimmyp; 06/11/19.

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ill need to get someone to post pics

Actually doing something usually changes a persons previously worthless opinion
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
this is all JWP stirring the s-hit. On Lightweight animals, velocity is more important than penetration and on heavy animals penetration is more important than velocity.

This is Jimmyp showing his ignorance, don’t be like Jimmyp

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

GunDoc7, when the velocity is increased so is the momentum along with the hydraulic pressure both add to the wound channel. Many tend to forget that depth of wound channel is also part of the total volume.

I do understand the physics. But I don't have enough experience to say what works best.

My question about "monometal" was because to me "monometal" means the expanding copper bullets such as the Barnes bullets especially the rifle bullets. While a lead bullet is also made of one metal, I tend to call them swaged, cast, or hard cast.

If I understand you experience and argument correctly, given equal diameter, shape, and meplat diameter, within reason one should trade weight for velocity. For example, a 250 grain hard cast .44 is better than a slower 300 grain hard cast .44 as long as the 250 grain gives sufficient penetration for the animal and the angle. This is because any energy the bullet has as it exits the animal is essentially wasted. If you are of the "complete penetration is good" school of thought (as I am) the ideal situation is for the bullet to exit with very little remaining velocity. Correct?

Example a Lehigh monometal flat point non expanding bullet same caliber same weight one fired at 950 FPS the other fired at 1400 FPS the faster bullet will produce more damage.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR
So the 230 grain 45 ACP trucking along at 800 fps vs. the 9mm 124 grain bullet moving at 1200 fps, which one wins?

Is that what you get from this discussion? You comparing apples to oranges. How about a 124 grain 9mm at 1000 FPS versus the same bullet at 1200 FPS.

Not at all but the whole thing started with 45 vs 9mm and it's been drug down this rabbit hole and every other one that can be thought of. My response was in sarcasm font.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by TWR

Not at all but the whole thing started with 45 vs 9mm and it's been drug down this rabbit hole and every other one that can be thought of. My response was in sarcasm font.

This thread has zero to do with 9mm vs 45, not sure how you connected those dots.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Example a Lehigh monometal flat point non expanding bullet same caliber same weight one fired at 950 FPS the other fired at 1400 FPS the faster bullet will produce more damage.

If that is your experience, I don't doubt you one bit.

My question was a bit different:
Two .44 caliber bullets, 250 grain and 300 grain, same nose shape, equal meplat diameters, both hard cast and do not expand.
Load each to however "hot" you are comfortable with, but each loaded as hot as the other. (Maybe different charge weights, maybe different powders, but each load is equal as far as how hard you are "leaning on the gun." This probably means equal peak chamber pressure.)
The lighter bullet will be faster, correct?
Assume that on the animal in question, and the angle of the shot, both bullets exit. So depth of penetration is "total."
In this case, you will pick the lighter, faster bullet, because it will do more damage, correct?

But on a bigger animal, or a situation where you may have to take a poor angle shot, you might choose the heavier, slower bullet to ensure sufficient penetration, correct?

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/11/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

300gr hardcast over the 250gr.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
no permanent wound cavity much bigger than the bullet diameter until the bullet is over 2100-2200 or so FPS or unless it fragments.... at 1400 FPS a 62 grain federal fusion will make a .38 caliber hole in you as it will expand, however it is not as lethal as a hole made by a 55 grain FMJ at 3300FPS in about the same area of yo body.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
if you shot a small 120 pound deer in the ass side to side, which would be more devastating to the deer? A 300 grain 44 magnum at 1200 fps or a 220 swift with a 40 grain nosler? Now apply this same thing to a 600 pound bear, the bear would stuff the swift up YOUR ass but the deer would be flattened by the thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
no permanent wound cavity much bigger than the bullet diameter until the bullet is over 2100-2200 or so FPS or unless it fragments.....

That is patently false. Where did you read that?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,743 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.