Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

For those that claim increased velocity in revolvers doesn’t increase wound channel because the velocity is below 2,000 FPS, then why is the 357 mag more effective in producing larger wound channels than the 38 Special?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It doesn't really matter. Everyone knows now that 9mm is answer to all caliber wars now that the FBI adopted it. You can even stop bears in their tracks with it.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If the bullet integrity is up to it, any increase in velocity will increase wound channel. Jwp—i still wonder why and how this idea got going about some magic 2000fps?!?!

Actually doing something usually changes a persons previously worthless opinion
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pretty quick, everyone needs to decide if the OP's question and the ensuing discussion is about expanding bullets, or not.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Of course it makes a difference. There is a lot of bullshitting going on.

If 2000 fps was the magic velocity, then the 22lr and 22WMR rifles would be equal with 40gr hollow points. I don't think anybody can make that argument either, at least not with a straight face.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Doesnt matter. Wound channel size increases whether its a solid or an expandable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tradmark
Doesnt matter. Wound channel size increases whether its a solid or an expandable.

Absolutely. Unless the target is exceptionally thin.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...i still wonder why and how this idea got going about some magic 2000fps?!?!

I think it has been introduced with discussions of hydro-static shock. Somehow, it morphed to include the wound channel.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
One causes the other so of course they go together.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sure it does, next time you're out swimming, slap the water with an open palm slow, then put some speed on it and see how much more you move.

Trump Won!
IC B3

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
If the bullet integrity is up to it, any increase in velocity will increase wound channel. Jwp—i still wonder why and how this idea got going about some magic 2000fps?!?!

The 2000 FPS is for secondary wounding of fragments of bone and or bullet fragments but people have taken it out of context.

Doesn’t matter a monumental flap point leaves a smaller wound channel at 1000 FPS than the same bullet driven at 1400 FPS. BTDT and seen the results first hand.

Last edited by jwp475; 06/11/19.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by FreeMe
...i still wonder why and how this idea got going about some magic 2000fps?!?!

I think it has been introduced with discussions of hydro-static shock. Somehow, it morphed to include the wound channel.

Duncan McPhearson wrote that the proper term is “hydraulic preesure” the higher the velocity the higher the hydraulic pressure.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Without agreeing or disagreeing with the above, my point is that the reasons for wound channel size being a function of velocity are quite likely different depending on if the bullet is expanding or not.

Consider a non-expanding bullet at 1500 fps. Assume it has enough energy to create a pass through. Now consider the same bullet at 2000 fps. It too should pass through. If it creates a larger wound channel it will do so because of some phenomena based only on velocity.

Consider a expanding bullet at 1500 fps. Assume it expands. Now consider the same bullet at 2000 fps. Assume the bullet construction is such that the greater velocity causes it to expand to a larger diameter. It creates a larger wound channel due to the both greater diameter and (probably) velocity.

If you are going to get into a discussion about the OP's question, you are going to have to talk about how the bullet behaves.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Without agreeing or disagreeing with the above, my point is that the reasons for wound channel size being a function of velocity are quite likely different depending on if the bullet is expanding or not.

Consider a non-expanding bullet at 1500 fps. Assume it has enough energy to create a pass through. Now consider the same bullet at 2000 fps. It too should pass through. If it creates a larger wound channel it will do so because of some phenomena based only on velocity.

Consider a expanding bullet at 1500 fps. Assume it expands. Now consider the same bullet at 2000 fps. Assume the bullet construction is such that the greater velocity causes it to expand to a larger diameter. It creates a larger wound channel due to the both greater diameter and (probably) velocity.

If you are going to get into a discussion about the OP's question, you are going to have to talk about how the bullet behaves.

I have shot enough big game with a revolver to know that a bullet such as a mono metal flat point will inflict a larger would channel at 1400 FPS than the same bullet at 1000 FPS to soft tissue such as heart and lungs.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by jwp475

The 2000 FOS is for secondary wounding of fragments of bone and or bullet fragments but people have taken it out of context.

If that is the origin of the 2000 fps number, it's still wrong. I've seen significant wounding from bone and bullet fragments from impact velocities as low as 900 fps (suppressed subsonic hollow points). Faster causes more damage.
I agree that whatever the 2000 fps number was supposed to mean, it's been taken out of context and accepted as gospel by a lot of people who claim to be authorities on the subject. Actually shooting AND butchering animals shows a different story though, as many handgun hunters know.

Last edited by Yondering; 06/11/19.
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Exactly.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I have shot enough big game with a revolver to know that a bullet such as a mono metal flat point will inflict a larger would channel at 1400 FPS than the same bullet at 1000 FPS to soft tissue such as heart and lungs.

I don't doubt your experience. For clarification, are you talking about an expanding bullet or not? (Some mono metal bullets are designed to expand, correct?)

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I don't doubt your experience. For clarification, are you talking about an expanding bullet or not? (Some mono metal bullets are designed to expand, correct?)

I’ve never seen a monometal flat point that expanded in a revolver. I am saying more velocity equals more damage with both. Lungs and heart react to velocity in my experience. On very large game a revolver hunter needs penetration more than expansion.

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

GunDoc7, when the velocity is increased so is the momentum along with the hydraulic pressure both add to the wound channel. Many tend to forget that depth of wound channel is also part of the total volume.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
So the 230 grain 45 ACP trucking along at 800 fps vs. the 9mm 124 grain bullet moving at 1200 fps, which one wins?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 66 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,704
Posts18,456,820
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.