Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Getting ready to play with this combo. Overall goal is accuracy at 2950- 3k FPS. I have a multitude of powders that I can play with (r26, h4831, r22).

I just don't know much about these LRAB - heard they can be very finicky.

Dogshooter suggested running a .525 BC based on them coming out of a 10twist barrel which I will start with. Also will be running from 4k-8k elevation range. Do these like to touch or come close to the lands? With heavy charges, should I jump to 215 primers?

This rifle allows me to touch the lands with the 150 LRAB at a OAL of 3.390" - So I have plenty of room to play with.

Suggestions.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just got done testing a bunch of handloads for a .270 Winchester article. Among the powders and bullets were RL-26 and 150 ABLR's. Had to seat them way off the lands due to magazine constraints, and they grouped very well.

Not the first time I've seen ABLR's shoot when well off the lands. In my 6.5 PRC, the 129's turned out to be the most accurate bullet tried out of half a dozen--but only after I seated them DEEPER.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Just got done testing a bunch of handloads for a .270 Winchester article. Among the powders and bullets were RL-26 and 150 ABLR's. Had to seat them way off the lands due to magazine constraints, and they grouped very well.

Not the first time I've seen ABLR's shoot when well off the lands. In my 6.5 PRC, the 129's turned out to be the most accurate bullet tried out of half a dozen--but only after I seated them DEEPER.

Will this be in handloader magazine?

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Same experience as MD on the jump. I would start with R26 and magnum primers to begin with. Two thoughts on this are that in several other cartridges I got lower spreads and deviation with R26 with the Fed. 215 primers. This included smaller cases like the 243 & 6.5x55. My other thought is I like to determine maximum pressure in my initial load work and usually the mag. primers will reach this a little faster than standards. No hard rules but usually it means I can drop back to standard primers with out starting load work up over again.

MD Look forward to the article. Also hope to see more on the 270 WSM and Weatherby.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know one guy who got great accuracy close to the lands but most others including myself have done well at about .100" off the lands so that's where I would start and adjust one way or the other from there. Good luck and please let us know how it works out for you.

Gerry.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Rifle is a Christensen Arms Ridgeline that is LNIB that I picked up for quite a bit less than new. Transferred a proven SHV 3-10X42 on it in Warne Mnt Tech Rings - I expect it to be a dandy combo if I can get these to shoot. If not, I will probably be defaulting back to 140 accubonds.

Also found a can of 7977 to try out as well.

150 LRAB - even at a .525 BC, makes this a legit 7-800 yard rig in the elevations I hunt. Takes the old 270 Winchester up a notch.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One thing on the LRAB get a VLD type seater stem or mold an epoxy custom seater. The standard unit can deform the jacket if your seating with very much resistance. I didn't section one but it looked to be enough to cause jacket separation. I wonder if some of the negative reports on LRAB might have been produced by this distorted jacket situation?

The Christiensen ought to be a sweet rig. Hard to go wrong with that combo.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not the .270 but I have been trying to get the 7MM 150 gr. ABLR to shoot in three different rifles chambered to the 7x57 and another rifle in .280 Remington. So far accuracy sucks big time I have a new pressure series with then to trie in one 7x57 rifle. Once I get that squared away I'll try seating them deeper. Ammo is loaded and I'm just waiting for a day when it's not do windy.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They can be finicky like VLD or long secant ogive type bullets. Like Bergers either jammed (not recommended for hunting) or way off the lands will usually work.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Mule Deer

No RL-26 on my shelf right now, any other powders you would suggest?

thanks

Ted
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=Mule Deer]Just got done testing a bunch of handloads for a .270 Winchester article. Among the powders and bullets were RL-26 and 150 ABLR's. Had to seat them way off the lands due to magazine constraints, and they grouped very well.

Mule Deer

No RL-26 on my shelf right now, any other powders you would suggest?

thanks[/quote

Not Mule Deer, but I got good results with MagPro. I only got 2850 fps from a 24" barrel though.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not MD:

Some that are close are VV560, VV165, Retumbo, Magnum, IMR7966 and the slower 8133. MRP is a little faster and MRP2 which I forgot the new name is a little slower, these correspond to R22 & R25. H1000, 7828 are in that general burning rate too. No experience with them but 4955 & 4451 as well as Hybrid 100V are all contenders. Reloader 23 is good and power pro 4000 also does well. The Speer data shows 7828 ahead of R26 by a gnats hair but 7828 may be easier to get good accuracy from than R26.

I have been trying the newer powders but have shot most of the game with 150s and H4831 even if it was only running 2,850 to 2,900 fps. If it was good enough for Jack it is good enough for me.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I had some problems with the 142gn ABLR at 3060fps in my 6.5 SAUM but found that they like being seated with a large jump. I'm at 120 thou jump and they are accurate enough for my purposes out to 500.

Dropped a couple of deer two weeks back at 270 and 310 respectively.
The first was a classic heart/lung shot which left a softball sized exit wound, deer dropped and rolled down the slope a little before coming to rest in a flat section.
The second was a high lung shot, severed the spine and exited in one piece with a wound about the size of a baseball. The deer stopped tumbling after a little bit up against a shrub.

Processing suggested both bullets worked as one piece with little or no fragmentation.

As others have said, seat them with a bigger jump than you expect and you are likely to be happy with the results.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,166
Posts18,465,308
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.