Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not much info yet, but those boys do get it done when called.

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Man-rescued-after-bear-attack-near-Galena-511099032.html

Alaska Guardsmen rescue bear-attack victim near Galena
By Lex Treinen | Posted: Mon 4:03 PM, Jun 10, 2019 | Updated: Mon 5:34 PM, Jun 10, 2019

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - A hunter was rescued by Alaska Guardsmen after he was attacked by a bear near Galena on the Yukon River. The Alaska National Guard medevaced him to JBER after giving him emergency treatment at the scene of the accident.

Alaska Air National Guard pararescue airmen near Galena, Alaska. Photo by David Bredard/176th Wing Public Affairs
According to a release from the Alaska National Guard, the man’s hunting partner called for help from the Alaska State Troopers who coordinated with the Air National Guard, the Army National Guard, and the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center (AK RCC).

A HH-60G Pave Hawk helicopter responded to the incident, and the Guardian Angel team parachuted in and hiked into the area where they provided life-saving care to the injured hunter. The hunter was then loaded into the helicopter and flown to Galena. He was then transferred to a different helicopter and flown to JBER for further treatment.

“This was an amazing effort by all parties involved,” said Alaska Air National Guard Maj. Andrew Williams, AK RCC Deputy Director. “It exemplified the intricacies of rescue operations in the state and the interoperability between Army and Air National Guard as well as the Alaska State Troopers.

A spokesman for the Alaska National Guard said that they are currently unsure the species of bear and the nature of the injuries.

Copyright 2019 KTUU. All rights reserved.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sometimes you're the predator . . . and sometimes you're the prey . . .

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Or one can just stay in bed with the covers pulled over one's head.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Was out walking some remote beaches this weekend not looking for any Ursus trouble. Had the 35 Whelen over the shoulder just in case . . .

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Being a Pararescueman in Alaska might be the best job in the world. Great effort guys.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Do they have a speed dial number? I ain't getting any younger or smarter...... nor luckier I've about shot all those to pieces. Bad aim. smile

Last edited by las; 06/11/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
P
Unheard of!
Its been over 5 days & nothing has been released re: the attack.
What gives??

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by philosopher
Unheard of!
What gives??

Good question...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I actually saw this article online, more of a paragraph about it in MilitaryTimes.com. It's now been removed from the website.

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Unheard of!
What gives??

Originally Posted by Hudge
I actually saw this article online, more of a paragraph about it in MilitaryTimes.com. It's now been removed from the website.

Well when it involves one of the hunting “celebrities” they might not want it getting out. Those in the know, know.

I’m surprised our celebrity Sitka deer doesn’t have all the info. Oh wait, he only gets it once it goes to print...

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WDH
Unheard of!
What gives??

Well when it involves one of the hunting “celebrities” they might not want it getting out. Those in the know, know.

I’m surprised our celebrity Sitka deer doesn’t have all the info. Oh wait, he only gets it once it goes to print...

What do you get other than stoopider by the day? smile

Quoted for SD’s benefit. You’re welcome. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
not much info out there about who the fella is that got bit n clawed

https://www.firefightingnews.com/mu...hdn7_Lfy-NCrYSlnkzAvc11Tn-_KKcFjxaxb7n-o

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Haven’t been able to verify but rumor is they wounded a bear and went in after it in thick cover...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WDH

As to your higher level synopsis....Meh

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by WDH
Unheard of!
What gives??

Not sure what you enjoy more, displaying his stupidity or trying to get me to respond to his stupidity... but you will have to decide which itch i scratched.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by WDH
Unheard of!
What gives??

Not sure what you enjoy more, displaying his stupidity or trying to get me to respond to his stupidity... but you will have to decide which itch i scratched.

Both scenarios amuse me. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't know Sitka deer was a celebrity? But when you live on the hillside I guess you are part of the elite anchorage crowd lol..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Years ago, I was out there moose hunting, and the base was open. My impression is that the base was closed several years ago. Is that the case?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The article is inaccurate (go figure), the guy never came to JBER, he was taken straight to Prov.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AK_Troutbum
The article is inaccurate (go figure), .

They seldom are, details seem to depend on whom you might be speaking to at the time...

There are quite a few bear attacks in Alaska where the news never makes it outta the bush.

A week ago there was one out in Bristol Bay, knowing a guy that was sitting right at the location of the attack I emailed him and asked for details. The following was our exchange of emails..

Hey Luke, anybody we know?
Jeff

Originally Posted by KDLG.Org

Bear attacks man in Naknek, according to ADF&G

JUN 11, 2019
The man told state wildlife troopers that he was sleeping in his car with the door open when a bear pulled him from the vehicle. He sustained injuries to his lower leg and was transported to Anchorage for treatment.

A man was attacked by what he said was a bear in Naknek around midnight Saturday.

The man told state wildlife troopers he had been sleeping in the back of his car while waiting for his laundry with the door open at the Stack Boatyard off of Ralph’s Road when he was pulled from the vehicle by what he told first responders was a bear.

First responders met the man near the intersection of the highway and Ralph’s Road, where he was transported to the Camai clinic in Naknek before being flown to Anchorage for further medical care.

He was able to fend off the animal, but sustained injuries to his lower left leg.

His personal details have not yet been released.

Jeff
This didn’t actually happen at the Stack Yard. It was the yard next door to it. The guy was drunk, but you probably already surmised that. The bear did grab his leg and pull him out of the truck. But… only to get him out of the way. The bear then grabbed the pizza he had in the truck and took off…

Luke

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by JeffA
The article is inaccurate (go figure), .

They seldom are, details seem to depend on whom you might be speaking to at the time...

There are quite a few bear attacks in Alaska where the news never makes it outta the bush.

A week ago there was one out in Bristol Bay, knowing a guy that was sitting right at the location of the attack I emailed him and asked for details. The following was our exchange of emails..

Hey Luke, anybody we know?
Jeff

Originally Posted by KDLG.Org

Bear attacks man in Naknek, according to ADF&G

JUN 11, 2019
The man told state wildlife troopers that he was sleeping in his car with the door open when a bear pulled him from the vehicle. He sustained injuries to his lower leg and was transported to Anchorage for treatment.

A man was attacked by what he said was a bear in Naknek around midnight Saturday.

The man told state wildlife troopers he had been sleeping in the back of his car while waiting for his laundry with the door open at the Stack Boatyard off of Ralph’s Road when he was pulled from the vehicle by what he told first responders was a bear.

First responders met the man near the intersection of the highway and Ralph’s Road, where he was transported to the Camai clinic in Naknek before being flown to Anchorage for further medical care.

He was able to fend off the animal, but sustained injuries to his lower left leg.

His personal details have not yet been released.

Jeff
This didn’t actually happen at the Stack Yard. It was the yard next door to it. The guy was drunk, but you probably already surmised that. The bear did grab his leg and pull him out of the truck. But… only to get him out of the way. The bear then grabbed the pizza he had in the truck and took off…

Luke

there has to be lesson in there somewhere

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse

Yep,

It's documented right here....
https://www.yelp.com/biz/d-and-d-restaurant-naknek

D&D's has great pizza and it's the only place in Naknek to get one......

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by sse

Yep,

"The only place Id suggest to eat in Naknek." There ya go...LOL

Last edited by sse; 06/19/19.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

P
P

P
P
It's been a full month!
No update!
Why the secrecy? What are they hiding?

What gives?
Anyone have an answer?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sse

Yep,

Sounds like the bear knew this and wanted to give it a try.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The article is inaccurate (go figure), the guy never came to JBER, he was taken straight to Prov.

So where did the Herc land that he was flown in on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.