Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

My take on a portable target stand.......

I wanted/needed something weather proof that I could leave outside all the time, and have enough height to be above the foliage in the set aside field.

Inch and a half PVC, five feet tall, two feet wide, with vinyl J-channel screwed to the 2 sides and the bottom. I'll staple targets to pieces of cardboard cut to size to slide in the channels. None of the connections are glued, so I can just pop the top support off to slide them in.

Might have to pour some sand in the legs to keep them from tipping over.

[Linked Image]

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That is nice! And, easy enough to fix if someone clips a side piece. Good on ya!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I made a PVC target stand very similar to yours several years ago and it has served me very well. Like you I did not glue the PVC together and was glad that I didn't as I have had to replace a couple of pieces damaged by errant shots.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've seen them like that before. I prefer my base instead. It is a lot more stable in the wind:
[Linked Image]

And we have a lot of wind here in the gorge to contend with...

I use this type of stand now, as i don't have to tell my buddies to keep their bullets on the target. Buddies have a way of always hitting the pvc pipe. Now I just throw the targets on and have at it...:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used to do something similar with slots for lathing strips.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the sanitary tees! :-)

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Run outta milk and water jugs, did ya?

Originally Posted by aalf

My take on a portable target stand.......

I wanted/needed something weather proof that I could leave outside all the time, and have enough height to be above the foliage in the set aside field.

Inch and a half PVC, five feet tall, two feet wide, with vinyl J-channel screwed to the 2 sides and the bottom. I'll staple targets to pieces of cardboard cut to size to slide in the channels. None of the connections are glued, so I can just pop the top support off to slide them in.

Might have to pour some sand in the legs to keep them from tipping over.

[Linked Image]

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
I like the sanitary tees! :-)

Cheaper than the regular tees, even more so in the 10 pack......pinchin' pennies......

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Run outta milk and water jugs, did ya?

Running seriously short, but these are for zeroing/testing, not for "fun"......

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I use this type of stand now, as i don't have to tell my buddies to keep their bullets on the target. Buddies have a way of always hitting the pvc pipe. Now I just throw the targets on and have at it...:[Linked Image]

I don't have any buddies, so damage will be all me.......

Because these are going to be left outside 24/7, I originally was going to build them out of treated wood, but decided on the PVC route instead.

These have 3 literally 1000's & 1000's of shots at and through them. They were built using the galvanized frame from furnace filters. The 2 on the ends had the top piece on each wore to a frazzle till they broke in half & I took them off.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey BSA:

You ought to be ashamed. Nobody keeps a gun room that neat and clean. Good God!

Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Archers have been building the pvc stands for decades, and a roll of brown wrapping paper on the middle cross bar....pull up to top, and clip with magnum paper clips.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Archers have been building the pvc stands for decades, and a roll of brown wrapping paper on the middle cross bar....pull up to top, and clip with magnum paper clips.

Never said I invented the idea......

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Gave 'em a shot of flat black, just for the hell-of-it, and cut 8 pieces of cardboard for ease of switching targets.....

[Linked Image]

First stand I made with 4 one foot legs and the 2nd I went with one & a half foot instead. May modify them like BSA's on the front and back with a couple elbows & cross pieces.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Variation on a theme. This one is fairly short to keep the wind from rocking it and if the wind kicks up a sandbag or such placed on a crosspiece keeps it stable. Like yours everything is just press fit together for ease of replacing parts - anything downrange will get hit eventually. wink For transport the top is pulled out of the bottom.

I like the rails on yours to slide backers in and out, mine are screwed/bolted onto the frame but a backer lasts up to a thousand or more shots so they don't have to be replaced too often, and even then it's a five minute job.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you fellas, i shall get a pup out of those and do a couple for myself.

Regards.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Setterman
Hey BSA:

You ought to be ashamed. Nobody keeps a gun room that neat and clean. Good God!

Bob

It's really absurd! Geeze, pile some chit up! Random box of crap here and there. You know, something to "hunt" through...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If a guy ran the height to 13' and had a butcher paper roller atop,he could tall target test 40 Mils of erector travel,in one whack. It'd be easier than subtending low with the reticle,to keep the erector going,on a lesser height backer. The ability to add/subtract pipe joints,would make it a breeze.

Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
This guy must be on drugs, WTF is he talking about.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cumguzzler,

Your IQ ain't in "question".

Yes it is....you Amazingly STUPID fhuqk.

Bless your heart,for TRYING.

Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 52 invisible), 2,963 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.