Print Thread
Hop To
F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Winchester recently introduced a new semi auto 22 rimfire called the wild cat, has anyone purchased one and if so is it worth it.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No, but with 2 really good and proven .22 semi-autos on the market, is there room, demand, or need for any more of them at the lower end of the price hierarchy?

Unless Winchester is giving their rifles away, I can't any reason to buy one when anyone who can legally own a firearm can buy Marlin 60s for around $160, or $190 in "stainless", and 10/22s for around $210 almost any day at a W-M that sells firearms.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know if it's needed but I just looked at it on the Winchester site and it has a lot of innovations that appeal to the younger shooters, like the molded in picatinny rail on the receiver and the forend. Seems like they looked at the few things missing from a 10/22 and added those, like the easily removable action to clean the barrel from the rear and a reversible safety. The built in peep sight isn't something you see very often these days. It even takes 10/22 magazines. The looks sure aren't my cup of tea but again the younger demographic they're obviously aiming for prefers that look.

MSRP is $249.99 so street price will probably be real competitive with the Marlin or 10/22.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Let's not forget that T/C also has a 10/22 varietal out there now. I've only seen one T/C, but it seemed pretty slick. The ejector looked to be a weak spot, though. It looks like that sector is getting pretty crowded. Ruger has, what? 90-100 variations of their own?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Let's not forget that T/C also has a 10/22 varietal out there now. I've only seen one T/C, but it seemed pretty slick. The ejector looked to be a weak spot, though. It looks like that sector is getting pretty crowded. Ruger has, what? 90-100 variations of their own?

The 10/22 is the ultimate, or damn close to the ultimate, modular rifle for a tinkerer to tinker with. With five basic components; action, barrel, bolt, stock, and trigger, being easily swapped out for a plethora of factory and after-market parts that are only limited by the tinkerer's imagination and budget.

I don't wish Winchester any ill will, but I think that this Wildcat is going to have a hard time earning a share of a full market niche.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Gonna have to be pretty special in some way to make much of a dent. Besides the two you mentioned, there are a slew of AR look-alikes to contend with. Without some sort of "hook" to market them with, it's gonna be tough sledding.

I smell a CDNN "opportunity" brewing.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree that the 22LR automatic market will be a tough nut for Winchester to crack.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looked at it on their site. Oogly has a name, and it's Wildcat.

Lots of plastic. Takes extended 10/22 mags; didn't mention standard ones that I saw, but my eyes wouldn't let me linger. Has a integrated rail with a peep sight, and a short rail up by the front swivel.

No doubt some will find it compelling, but not this old Luddite. Maybe if CDNN has them on Special, really cheap, and I'm feeling flush and bored.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Lots of plastic. Takes extended 10/22 mags; didn't mention standard ones that I saw, but my eyes wouldn't let me linger. Has a integrated rail with a peep sight, and a short rail up by the front swivel.

No doubt some will find it compelling, but not this old Luddite. Maybe if CDNN has them on Special, really cheap, and I'm feeling flush and bored.

I couldn't had expressed my own thought about this new rifle any better.

I currently find myself with 17 10/22s, 1 Marlin 60SS, and 1 Marlin 795, plus another 10 semi-auto .22 rifles, and another 37 .22 rifles with bolt, lever, pump, and single shot actions. This new Wildcat would have to be really special or really, really, inexpensive to prompt me to buy one.

The .22 that I'm planning to take to CO on Thursday is a 10/22 with a BX trigger, a GM barrel, installed in an American style modular stock.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Well, I though I was gonna get to see one saturday. They are showing in my recent bps catalog I got in the mail. Guy at the counter had no idea what I was talking about.

The new TC, the wildcat, and bergara coming out are all supposed to take the standard magazines.

I own the TC, but haven't shot it yet. Did pick up a FFii to top it off with. Real light gun compared to my other auto 22s, my boys should be able to handle it fine.

IC B3

F
Freddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I subscribe to both Shooting times and Guns and ammo, hoping that one of them tests and reviews it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Freddy
I subscribe to both Shooting times and Guns and ammo, hoping that one of them tests and reviews it.

And what, pray tell, would that tell you? Have you ever read a poor review in either of those two magazines? Not since the early 1970s, when Jeff Cooper dared to write poor reviews, have they published a bad review.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If Winchester wanted to do something good they should bring back the 94/22.It was an outstanding rimfire rifle.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by swampkid
If Winchester wanted to do something good they should bring back the 94/22.It was an outstanding rimfire rifle.

It would be "cost prohibitive" when you can buy a Henry for a lot less money. Marlin still "catalogs" the 39A, but it's supposedly built in the Dakota facility now, and costs $3000. Winchester would probably have to charge $2000 for one.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Just wishful thinking about the 94/22.I had one when I was a Kidd and really miss the little rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I couldn't had expressed my own thought about this new rifle any better.

I currently find myself with 17 10/22s, 1 Marlin 60SS, and 1 Marlin 795, plus another 10 semi-auto .22 rifles, and another 37 .22 rifles with bolt, lever, pump, and single shot actions. This new Wildcat would have to be really special or really, really, inexpensive to prompt me to buy one.

The .22 that I'm planning to take to CO on Thursday is a 10/22 with a BX trigger, a GM barrel, installed in an American style modular stock.

66 .22 rifles? Wow.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.