Print Thread
Hop To
D
DogDave Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I was told to bed my 582 and change the spring in the trigger. Well, I started by stripping the birch stock, reshaped the forend, put special walnut stain on it and am in the process of tung oil. But for the life of me I can't figure how to bed the thing with only 1 action screw. Does the bed go from the rear of the action to just in front of that single mounting lug (which is actually mounted about an inch or so into the barrel)? Or is there a way to put another screw in the thing?

It was not a bad shooter to start with but nothing special. If I can figure how to post pics when I get done, I'll show it, I shaped a sort of Schnabel forend on the thing. The walnut stain looks fine too, I hate yellow stocks.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bill here, I have a left hand & I just glass bedded the whole action. Use lots of release agent or one shot or greas or------ pick up some modding clay to fill in the big gaps. Good luck. Bill out 🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington made a LH 582?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DogDave
I was told to bed my 582 and change the spring in the trigger. Well, I started by stripping the birch stock, reshaped the forend, put special walnut stain on it and am in the process of tung oil. But for the life of me I can't figure how to bed the thing with only 1 action screw. Does the bed go from the rear of the action to just in front of that single mounting lug (which is actually mounted about an inch or so into the barrel)? Or is there a way to put another screw in the thing?

It was not a bad shooter to start with but nothing special. If I can figure how to post pics when I get done, I'll show it, I shaped a sort of Schnabel forend on the thing. The walnut stain looks fine too, I hate yellow stocks.

The single lug screw is not the end of the world- especially with a light sporter barrel. Ruger 10/22s suffer from a similar setup and they can still be bedded.
I do think that the single screw puts a premium on the bedding being even and well done as you will get no help in stability by just the one screw.

I would make sure to go all the way from the rear tang to about 3" ahead of that lug on the barrel and the float the rest. Brno 1/2 & CZ 452 trainer style rifles have a barrel lug about 4 inches down the barrel channel and they still shoot pretty darn well.

The lug bedding should be relieved a for a bit of clearance around the front half so it only contacts at the back - just like on a flat lug. Using a few peices of tape on the front of the lug to create the clearance when bedded should do the trick.

D
DogDave Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. That lug is loose on the barrel in the grove, so I'll either shim and glue it in place or peen it tight. I've already floated the part of the forend in front of the lug. Good idea with the tape on the front part of the lug, I was sorta wondering about the bedding of that lug. There's a lot of empty area around it in the stock.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 700LH
Remington made a LH 582?

Yep, still ejected out the right side like the LH 788's.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by horse1
Remington made a LH 582?

LH bolt or stock, have a link?

I have never see or heard of a LH 582 and apparently Google has not either.

Link, please

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by horse1
Remington made a LH 582?

LH bolt or stock, have a link?

I have never see or heard of a LH 582 and apparently Google has not either.

Link, please

Remington made a lefty 581....a few of us here have them.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Doc’s right. It was the 581 bolt gun that Remington made in LH.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
DogDave Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
The tung oil is finished. Now on to bedding the thing.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is an example of one I picked up several years ago after I stripped / refinished the stock and added the optic....pretty good shooter as well.
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1OntarioJim, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 71 invisible), 3,010 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.