Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nahhh, it'll be awhile before he burns out. Getting tired of putting up with us yahoos and telling us to go pound sand down a rathole….now that may happen any time.

Last edited by Hook; 06/13/19.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't have the cases to check but I thought the 6.5x68 has less capacity then the 264 WM but they are close. If I am correct it is between the 6.5 RM, 6.5x96AI and the 264 Win. Mag. The better powder for heavier bullets might be IMR8133 but most of the early 6.5x68s from Europe have a 1 in 11 twist so may max out with the longer 130 grain bullets. Newar ones have a 1-9.8 which is still a little on the slow side. 7977 might be optimal for bullets 120 grains or less.

The Nosler forum gives the 264 about two grains more usable capacity than the 68. There is some info there on an old thread about the 6.5x68.

I would just load with 264 data and stop two grains short of maximum or when the chronograph started showing a leveling off point in velocity. The RWS loads are hot so I would not try to exceed them.

Didn't the original Shuler version have the unusual chamber that allowed the shoulder to expand? Not sure about this one will try to look it up later.

If I only could get systematically outraged at all the component manufacturers and suppliers think of all the money I could save.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tag

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
imgoofy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
Don't have the cases to check but I thought the 6.5x68 has less capacity then the 264 WM but they are close. If I am correct it is between the 6.5 RM, 6.5x96AI and the 264 Win. Mag. The better powder for heavier bullets might be IMR8133 but most of the early 6.5x68s from Europe have a 1 in 11 twist so may max out with the longer 130 grain bullets. Newar ones have a 1-9.8 which is still a little on the slow side. 7977 might be optimal for bullets 120 grains or less.

The Nosler forum gives the 264 about two grains more usable capacity than the 68. There is some info there on an old thread about the 6.5x68.

I would just load with 264 data and stop two grains short of maximum or when the chronograph started showing a leveling off point in velocity. The RWS loads are hot so I would not try to exceed them.

Didn't the original Shuler version have the unusual chamber that allowed the shoulder to expand? Not sure about this one will try to look it up later.

If I only could get systematically outraged at all the component manufacturers and suppliers think of all the money I could save.

Just looking at the data available to me while on a business trip via QuickLoad, using a 130 gr Nosler AB bullet.

The 6.5x68 should have roughly 86 gr of total H2O capacity with 78 gr of usable H2O case capacity.

The 264 Win Mag should have roughly 82 gr of total H2O capacity with 75.5 gr of usable H2O case capacity.

I don't have access to a 264 Win Mag, but I will take John's suggestion and determine the actual case capacity for my rifle and once fired brass.

It also appears from the data posted above I need to update my QuickLoad with the latest version because there are additional powders and bullets that have been added.

Thanks for the help,

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The fellow that owns Hodgdon used to be one of my customers. Super nice gentleman and a big time hunter that loves to shoot prairie dogs. Or at least he used to way back then.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/13/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
now I want quickload data for my 351 Winchester with a 180 grain roundnose, can that be calculated to the newer powders?

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Have read on the Internet that Reloder 26 turns the .351 Winchester into a .35 Whelen....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would also point out that Hodgdon's FAQs comments on the need for help. They deal with a lot of requests every day. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/frequently-asked-questions-faq

3. How do I know what components to use?

Most kits come with a reloading manual that has the details of what is safe to use. If your kit does not have one, there are many different manuals available for sale. Additionally, there is information on the Internet at sites such as the Hodgdon Powder Company Reloading Data Center complete with explicit information on what to use. Or call the Reloading Data Center help line (913-362-9455) for more information.

Phone them. You will talk to a real human who will try to help. There are no guarantees that you will get your answers, but he might be able to point you in the right direction. emails are used by companies to vet and prioritize responses. While they seem like a wonderful way to contact today's businesses, they still tend to deal with phone calls and letters first.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
+1 on Hodgdon. I have called several times and each time I got a knowledgeable technician not a receptionist or PR person. I didn't always get the answer I wanted but always it was sound information.

Back to the 6.5x68 & the 264 Win. Mag. Check capacity with the bullet you will use seated properly for your rifle. The data I have seen puts the 6.5x68 slightly behind the 264 but I am not sure of the relative pressures. If you search enough there is data available for the older powders at least. Vernon Speer bought an oil drum of the 68 mm brass probably from RWS and proceeded to develop a whole series of wildcats on the case. These have drifted off into obscurity unfortunately. I guess the rim size and availability kept them from catching on.

Here is the some info and a QL spreadsheet that will at least give you an idea on the velocity maximums. https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37311

Last edited by Tejano; 06/14/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have read on the Internet that Reloder 26 turns the .351 Winchester into a .35 Whelen....

Thanks for that! Made my day 😂

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

imgoofy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tejano,

I made it home this afternoon and went to work on the H2O capacity of some fired 6.5x68 cases.

I took 5 once-fired cases and average the data once finished.

For the 5 cases I got an average of 82.36 gr total H2O capacity with an average of usable H2O capacity of 72.76 gr.

Ran these numbers in QL with a COAL of 3.337" and a trim to length of 2.650" with a 25" barrel, 62,000 psi with a max fill capacity of 110%.

Comparing the data generated with the above data with the data listed on the Barnes website for the 127 gr LRX and 264 Win Mag ........

Retumbo
6.5x68 264 Win Mag
71.5 max 62.7 max
3288 fps 3126 fps

IMR 7828SSC
6.5x68 264 Win Mag
64.0 max 56.0 max
3243 fps 2974 fps

RL-22
6.5x68 264 Win Mag
63.8 max 58.3 max
3222 fps 3067 fps

Magnum
6.5x68 264 Win Mag
68.7 max 67.1 max
3198 fps 3140 fps

So, based off of these data, the 6.5x68 beats the 264 Win Mag from roughly 60 to 270 fps depending upon the powder being used.

And, I agree with Azar based upon the data coming from QL, IMR 7977 may not be the best powder for this cartridge, yet I'm still curious why it is so far off from H1000 based upon what Hodgdon statement of it being close to H1000 powder.

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Should be using 8133 anyway.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago, before the internet, I wrote Hodgden notes asking for advice. I have at least 3 of them that Bruce answered, on my original note, and sent back. No substitute for personal contact, so a phone call seems like great advice.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Too big of company to worry about your 1 or 2 lb of powder...sad really...the founder of that co got his start selling surplus powder in paper bags to guys like us...I think it was 4895 from the 30-06...sad they forget there roots

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by imgoofy

Unfortunate for them because if I can't use it, I wont be buying any more powder, it'll just sit on the shelf.

Dammit, I won't buy any either, this is an outrage!

I agree 100%

In fact I'm never buying any powder from anyone again because I don't know a powder manufacturer out there that would have load data for something that obsolete

Phuuck myself!!!!

I mean.....phuuck them! Lol

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by imgoofy

Unfortunate for them because if I can't use it, I wont be buying any more powder, it'll just sit on the shelf.

Dammit, I won't buy any either, this is an outrage!

I agree 100%

In fact I'm never buying any powder from anyone again because I don't know a powder manufacturer out there that would have load data for something that obsolete

Phuuck myself!!!!

I mean.....phuuck them! Lol

Trystan

Don't forget that big companies don't care about their customers, so you shouldn't buy any product made by a company that makes more than $2500 a year in profit.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Phone them. You will talk to a real human who will try to help. There are no guarantees that you will get your answers, but he might be able to point you in the right direction. emails are used by companies to vet and prioritize responses. While they seem like a wonderful way to contact today's businesses, they still tend to deal with phone calls and letters first.

I agree. Call them on the phone. I had a question about triple 7. I called Hodgdon and had a good conversation with a knowledgeable tech.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.