-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been a Glock guy since I was a young patrol officer in 1987. We had to carry .38 special revolvers, but in the winter under a coat, I carried my Gen 1 Glock 17 as a backup in a shoulder holster. Always shot perfect scores with that pistol. I sold the Gen 1 in 1990 when we went to the S&W 4506 .45acp. Actually, the powers that be stopped us from carrying anything but S&W autos. When they relaxed the regs again, I went back to Glock. I now own a G43 and G19 in 9mm, a G27 and G22 in .40 S&W, a G20SF in 10mm, and a G30SF in .45acp. I've been retired from Law Enforcement for about a year. My two favorite EDC guns are the Glock 43, and an S&W 642 .38 special. When I was a plain clothes UC guy for the last 7 years of my career, I carried my Glock 27 with a Glock 23 mag in my pocket. Both loaded with Federal 180 grain HST. My church carry pistol is my Gen 5 Glock 19 loaded with 124 grain Underwood Gold Dots at 1300 fps. I'm around a bunch of Glock hating Springfield XD guys all the time. They bad mouth Glocks all the time. None of them can outshoot me!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Over priced? Like 1911’s or HK’s. Yeah they have crept up, but blue label Glocks are still a great deal.

Before Glock came around, what did we have to choose from? Mediocre (expensive) 1911’s, pot metal Smiths, llamas.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I didn't like Glocks at first and refused the issue of one until 2009, when I accepted a firearms training position with an agency that issued them. Figured if I was gonna be teaching Glocks, I had better know Glocks. They're an excellent duty pistol, not particularly well adapted to the human hand.

They are not perfection. They are simply a rung on the ladder of firearms design.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep, Glocks are lousy-- but, every new polymer pistol that comes out is compared to them-- hmmm--

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, those Glocks suck...... That's why everybody else started making their own versions of polymer pistols. Mine's a Gen 3 G19. The trigger could be better and I have more accurate handguns. But I still like it for its plain, utilitarian, different, ultra reliable, persona.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The gent who invented flames,don't sweat the "heat" of the followers.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I find it funny that so many people say that the Glock grip angle is "wrong". It's not wrong, just "different". I'm one of the people who prefers it. With the 1911, I point low and have to find the front sight and bring it up. With the Glock, it's slightly high but it's easier to bring the sight down into the notch if you can already see it. I never hear anyone complain that the angle on a Ruger Mark .22 or Luger is "wrong", only the Glock.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I find it funny that so many people say that the Glock grip angle is "wrong". It's not wrong, just "different". I'm one of the people who prefers it. With the 1911, I point low and have to find the front sight and bring it up. With the Glock, it's slightly high but it's easier to bring the sight down into the notch if you can already see it. I never hear anyone complain that the angle on a Ruger Mark .22 or Luger is "wrong", only the Glock.

Truth!

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by viking
Work.

There you go. grin

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I think glocks are dam good pistols. Nothing against S&W revolvers . I had a S&W shield once, nice gun except the safety lever was floppy and you had to use a tool stored in the handle , or your pocket knife, or twigg off a tree to take it down. Safety was fixable but the take down lever (who was the jack wad that came up with that)? Are they still made that way?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
S&W don't make much of anything,that is TRULY rugged.

Hint....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I don't like them because the bore axis is too low.

You like a flippy recoil impulse, huh? grin

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
"Glock has engaged I some shady business practices".

As a gun company, or the family?

This seems to have somewhat become Glock vs Smith & Wesson.

As I wrote, a matter of opinion. Read Paul M. Barrett's book and decide for yourself. Or perhaps you have read it. Again, just my opinion. That opinion has little to nothing to do with the technical aspects, but the OP was much like "Glock: What comes to mind?" Several things came to mind, so I wrote them.

I don't see it as only Glock vs. S&W. That leaves out Springfield, Ruger, SIG, FN, H&K, and a bunch of others.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station
I think glocks are dam good pistols. Nothing against S&W revolvers . I had a S&W shield once, nice gun except the safety lever was floppy and you had to use a tool stored in the handle , or your pocket knife, or twigg off a tree to take it down. Safety was fixable but the take down lever (who was the jack wad that came up with that)? Are they still made that way?

You never really needed a tool to take down the Shield or any other M&P.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by prarie_creek_station

You never really needed a tool to take down the Shield or any other M&P.

Yeah, you can just pull the trigger.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Glock could take some lessons from Canik SF series and Walter ppq series

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
A Glock is like a crescent wrench. A Snap-On Crescent wrench.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
S&W don't make much of anything,that is TRULY rugged.

Hint....................

Stick, from another thread:

Get her a 3"(because sights are adjustable) S&W 317 22LR and CT grip. Bombproof,Murphy Proof,8-shots and killer ergo's.

Hint..............

So I guess "Bombproof, Murphy Proof" is not as good as "TRULY rugged?"

Last edited by GunDoc7; 06/14/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ldholton
Glock could take some lessons from Canik SF series and Walter ppq series

That PPQ trigger is the best factory polymer gun trigger I've felt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana Marine,

You got me wrong.
I like Glock. But I have a tendency to critically analyze everything.
I don't own a single gun that is without flaw.
Many that I really like, and that are good guns, including a G19 i have owned for
over 20 years.

My post is simply that Glock has slipped from the company that brought out
a product that people didn't know they needed/wanted, to following others leads.
The longslide and optics ready guns are market creating guns. But they really
drug their heels for 10 years or so. They see what's happened, and are throwing
new models at every market now.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,919 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.