Print Thread
Hop To
#13896938 06/13/19
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Looking for some advice on best way to get a cow tag in whatever state to help re fill the freezer. I did not put in for any draw hunts this year, hoping to find place to purchase a tag.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Look in the CO Big Game Brochure for the list of Ranching For Wildlife properties. Non-Residents can't participate in that program but all ranches sell private hunts and you can pretty much buy a land owner voucher. Or wait until the Left Over list comes out in July and buy one over the counter and take your chances that you can buy one and there will be elk in the unit you buy for

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I believe Utah is still open..........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

OTC spike go on sale early July ?

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Lookup Wagonhound ranch in WY. They have tags and cow only late hunts.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
NM land owner authorizations are an option. They can be pretty pricey, but “deals” can be found if a guy is patient.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SLM
NM land owner authorizations are an option. They can be pretty pricey, but “deals” can be found if a guy is patient.

I think Kiowa is something like $1,900 this year. Last I heard he was fully booked this year. My hunt will be in the first part of December. When I figure in hunt cost, tags motel and grub the hunt runs me about $3K and change. I'm now legally handicapped so his truck hunts work for me. I believe this year just might be my last year to hunt. I'll be 81 come this next August so that plus I can hardly walk anymore just may put an end to me doing anymore hunts from a truck or otherwise. I'll probably just go to the range and kill paper starting next year. We'll just have to see.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by WAM

There may be area 7 cow tags left after the drawing but the wagonhound ranch won’t have them. In WY you have to draw the tag, there are no landowner tags.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ToddNEWY
Originally Posted by WAM

There may be area 7 cow tags left after the drawing but the wagonhound ranch won’t have them. In WY you have to draw the tag, there are no landowner tags.

My bad... Just repeating what a friend told me when he went 3 years ago. Thanks for setting me straight. I honestly didn’t know how he got the tag. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Southern Idaho is going to have a couple cow hunts this fall that could be interesting. There have always been draw hunts in these units but this year the tags are OTC. Units 49/50 (Pioneer zone), and 45/52 (Smoky-Bennett zone). They want to thin out the cow numbers. The tags in each hunt are capped at 2500. That's a lot of hunters but it's a big area. They go on sale a few days after the controlled hunt results come out so there could be a lot of people who didn't draw trying to get them. However, 10% are allotted to NON-RESIDENTS and you can buy them now. Both hunts are in Nov and are weather dependent. If there's snow and the elk have moved down, a lot of elk are going to die. Usually, we get the 1st decent snow in those areas early in Nov. Both of these hunts are in very open country. You can see for miles.

Pull up the ID big game regs here REGULATIONS and go to pages 42 and 43, the Pioneer and Smoky-Bennett zones. You want to look at the B tags.
I have no idea how these hunts are going to work out. They're new this year. In the past when they were controlled hunts, they didn't always fill. This year will be different.

If this interests you, don't wait to get your tags. Get them NOW before it's opened to resident hunters. That 10% is a maximum, not reserved. If any are still available when the resident period starts on 7/10, they'll sell them to any one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those hunts have been sold out a couple weeks now. Posibbily could nab one August 1 when the outfitter setaside leftovers go on sale- if your Johnny on the spot.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Those went quick. I should have looked before I posted. I wonder if the resident tags will sell out the 1st 2 hours like they do in unit 36.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My buddy told me that the non-res cow tags for the Pioneers sold out in less than 15 minutes.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,253
Posts18,466,977
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.