Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Originally Posted by T_Inman
My god, the OP isn't asking about advice or equipment to take his kids to climb Everest or ice falls, nor is he asking about anchors or belays for rappelling. I've tied myself off to trees to recover mountain goats, but never bear and certainly never rappelled for one.

Gear suitable for that kind of thing is total overkill in both weight and utility for bear hunting on wet, grassy hillsides. A blow up doll would be more useful than that kind of gear....

Not that there's anything wrong with packing one of those along....

Yeah but, but, but he may need to forecast a Spring Avalanche you know! SJ knows all.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
Not sure I've ever put spikes on for a fall bear hunt, but could see it happening. If you get up in the steep stuff, and there has been a freeze, you will be sliding on dead pushki, which is about like teflon goose poop.

Bender, my experience with the Microspikes was following a buddy that had them in the brooks when we got about 6" of fresh snow. We sidehilled about a mile and a half out of a canyon we were checking, and his spikes kept slipping off the side of his boots. I was still jealous of his traction, as I was sliding all over the place, and took a couple good falls. So when I got back and did a little research, the strap across the top of the foot and the more significant "plate" in the sole were the main features that sold me.

You can certainly slip them off on an extended sidehill, but they seem to stick to the feet better than what I saw of the microspikes. I also wouldn't be surprised if the microspikes of today were somewhat different than what I saw, as that was...7 years ago now?

Which Hillsound did you get?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think they are the "trail crampons". If buying again, and without owning the KTS, I'd look at the "trail pro". Balling is a real bummer when the conditions are right, which they frequently are here.
I kept them tied to a set of bunnies right by the front door for a couple winters, but replaced them with less aggressive ice grips last year.

Brad, those Salewa's are cool, and so is the axe.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks. I’ve used the kahtoolas around here feeding when the yaktrax can’t grab enough.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

My god, the OP isn't asking about advice or equipment to take his kids to climb Everest or ice falls, nor is he asking about anchors or belays for rappelling. I've tied myself off to trees to recover mountain goats, but never bear and certainly never rappelled for one.

Gear suitable for that kind of thing is total overkill in both weight and utility for bear hunting on wet, grassy hillsides. A blow up doll would be more useful than that kind of gear....

Yeah but, but, but he may need to forecast a Spring Avalanche you know! SJ knows all.

Nope...just more than you. O B V I O U S. Check your blood pressure, flatlander.

In your area, unlikely you'll experience an avalanche with that really long telephoto shot you posted, but if you do...buh bye.

BTW, how do you keep all your gear looking like you JUST bought it????? NO wear and tear or what do they call it in your hills...use?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Pretty amazing. I've packed out on my back, somewhere around 20 elk, 4-5 sheep and several mulie bucks in beargrass, deadfall and steep shale slopes(35-45 degrees) all while wearing MicroSpikes.
Didn't realize I was doing it all wrong and could have killed myself.
Thank God for the Sheriff to set me straight.

Ed T

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Friggin ponytail-wearing, high blood pressure flatlander grin

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Pretty amazing. I've packed out on my back, somewhere around 20 elk, 4-5 sheep and several mulie bucks in beargrass, deadfall and steep shale slopes(35-45 degrees) all while wearing MicroSpikes.
Didn't realize I was doing it all wrong and could have killed myself.
Thank God for the Sheriff to set me straight.

Unlike me, you're not a woman, girl, flatlander, or fat-azz lib laugh

But at least the Sheriff is not angry... grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the original post query: I'd take Kahtoola Micro-spikes or equivalent.

I wear Kathtoola microspikes for nearly everything in the woods nowadays, whether Fall goats, accessing winter steelhead slick mud river banks, predator calling or picking berries in summer. I am heading out today to pick our little Cascade blackberries and will put on the microspikes when I leave the logging road. I wear them more on wet wood in the PNW than I do on snow or ice, and use them year round.

I have instep crampons and full crampons as well. You gotta be careful not to spike yourself with the longer spikes. A friend who hunts BIG bucks in the incredibly steep grassy avalanche chutes in the North Cascades along the Canadian border got me started using instep cramps and I graduated to Kahtoola's for most uses.

I am on my second pair, after finally wearing out my first set of Kahtoolas. They lasted five or six years of heavy year round use. The newer model, purchased last summer, is lighter and work a little better.

In certain snow conditions just at freezing temps, snow will pack the spikes full, not a real common event IME but you have to whack or kick the snow loose or you slip. Also, the left side only of my my earlier Kahtoolas would slowly twist around on my boot, requiring adjusting every ten or 15 minutes of hard use on slopes. It was caused by the way my left foot contacts the ground, but the new version of Kahtoola seems to have fixed that.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thanks. I’ve used the kahtoolas around here feeding when the yaktrax can’t grab enough.

Krist. I hope you had an ice axe handy you flatlander!

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Nope...just more than you. O B V I O U S. Check your blood pressure, flatlander.

In your area, unlikely you'll experience an avalanche with that really long telephoto shot you posted, but if you do...buh bye.

BTW, how do you keep all your gear looking like you JUST bought it????? NO wear and tear or what do they call it in your hills...use?

Telephoto hmmm I only have an iPhone 6. Sorry as usual you are wrong again!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Glad you came out of the gunfight with the bear in one piece...

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Okanagan
I wear Kathtoola microspikes for nearly everything in the woods nowadays, whether Fall goats, accessing winter steelhead slick mud river banks, predator calling or picking berries in summer.

I am on my second pair, after finally wearing out my first set of Kahtoolas. They lasted five or six years of heavy year round use. The newer model, purchased last summer, is lighter and work a little better.

Correction: my first pair of Kahtoola's lasted 3 years of year round use, not five or six. In my mind it seemed longer but I just noticed a note I made when I bought the second pair. In good weather when I plan to leave a trail, I carry them in my pack, available if I get into bad footing.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 62 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.