Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So my sons and I are doing an alpine hunt in Alaska in mid September.

I’ve read where the grass can be very slick and face planting can happen often and microspikes or crampons help. Ice is a not a concern.

Im not sure what type Crampon/spikes I need or what brand is the best way to go.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Andy

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Katahoola

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
So my sons and I are doing an alpine hunt in Alaska in mid September.

Congrats, it's very cool that you're going with your sons! I was wondering the same before my AK hunt a few years back, I had read the same. But the outfitter said I wouldn't need to worry about slick grass and he was obviously right so I'd check with your outfitter first.

I've heard Kathoolas are good, but these are the ones I've used and I like 'em:

https://www.amazon.com/Hillsound-Tr...&hvtargid=pla-511400398312&psc=1

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, Im the outfitter. We are chasing black bears in South Central alaska. What part did you hunt smoke?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The microspike types are light/easy enough to have in your pack that you might as well. I also prefer the hillsound trail crampons- I use them a lot in the winter, and my original pair is still going strong.

I've got the kahtoola kts as well, and they are better in ice, but they take just enough more time to put on that I'm always in trouble before I have them on. The microspikes are quick and easy and actually get used.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer Chainsen.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, Im the outfitter. We are chasing black bears in South Central alaska. What part did you hunt smoke?

Never mind, we were in the Chugach, just rock. I hope "the outfitter " comes through!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well, Im the outfitter.

So, a DYI hunt?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
The microspike types are light/easy enough to have in your pack that you might as well. I also prefer the hillsound trail crampons- I use them a lot in the winter, and my original pair is still going strong.

I've got the kahtoola kts as well, and they are better in ice, but they take just enough more time to put on that I'm always in trouble before I have them on. The microspikes are quick and easy and actually get used.

We have kahtoolas.
Hillsound and kahtoola look nearly identical. What's the difference?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Well, Im the outfitter.

So, a DYI hunt?

Well, Im the outfitter.

So, a DYI hunt?

Yes sir.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

We have kahtoolas.

Kathoola sounds way cooler.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You may want to take a look at Kahtoola K-10's. Hillsound has a Pro version that's similar but has different angles on the front and rear spikes vs the Kahtoola's.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

Never mind, we were in the Chugach, just rock. I hope "the outfitter " comes through!

Thats where we will be hunting. Definitely looks rocky from my internet research. Smoke were you east or South of Anchorage?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What are you hunting Andy?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Thats where we will be hunting. Definitely looks rocky from my internet research. Smoke were you east or South of Anchorage?

East, over near Chitina.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you're gonna need crampons...get real ones.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

We have kahtoolas.

Kathoola sounds way cooler.

Lol.
They're skookum!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What are you hunting Andy?

Bears.

Last edited by AndySpencer; 06/17/19.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not sure I've ever put spikes on for a fall bear hunt, but could see it happening. If you get up in the steep stuff, and there has been a freeze, you will be sliding on dead pushki, which is about like teflon goose poop.

Bender, my experience with the Microspikes was following a buddy that had them in the brooks when we got about 6" of fresh snow. We sidehilled about a mile and a half out of a canyon we were checking, and his spikes kept slipping off the side of his boots. I was still jealous of his traction, as I was sliding all over the place, and took a couple good falls. So when I got back and did a little research, the strap across the top of the foot and the more significant "plate" in the sole were the main features that sold me.

You can certainly slip them off on an extended sidehill, but they seem to stick to the feet better than what I saw of the microspikes. I also wouldn't be surprised if the microspikes of today were somewhat different than what I saw, as that was...7 years ago now?

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
A pard tried the microspikes on a goat hunt last year. Epic fail. Same slipping issue and overall lack of traction. One of them broke on the second day. They seem best suited to the elderly shuffling across an icy driveway to retrieve a newspaper. Short of full on, heavy, mountaineering crampons, the best I've used so far are the old CMI in-steps. They can still be found on ebay.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I and a pard have had great luck with the Kahtoola KTS crampons. From mtn goats to chuckars, they are like 4 low.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

We haven't tested these yet, but they appear to have potential for the OP's application.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/camp-usa-frost-crampons_10260967

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I replaced my near worthless Yaktrax w/ the Kathoolas to augment my snowshoes. I frequently pull a sled and these work great on icy uphills as well as downhills and level ground. Manhauling a loaded sled requires pretty good traction. Winter in the mountains can produce some pretty painful falls and the Kathoolas are a light and easy solution.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

We haven't tested these yet, but they appear to have potential for the OP's application.

https://www.moosejaw.com/product/camp-usa-frost-crampons_10260967

19.5 oz's... no thanks.

As I mentioned before, I use Chainsen. Either those, Hillsound or Kahtoola's are at the top of the microspike heap. They're all very good.

Chainsen was started by a former Kahtoola employee and are virtually identical, except that Chainsen also makes a lightweight model, which is what I use. They're 8.5oz's and I've found them bomber. The price-point of Chainsen is better than Kahtoola and is its full equal.

The light version:

https://www.camp-usa.com/outdoor/product/brands/snowline/chainsen-trail-light/

The heavy version:

https://www.camp-usa.com/outdoor/product/brands/snowline/chainsen-pro/

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got Kahtoola nano-spikes. Sometimes just need a little help on icy surfaces. They're light & easy to have in my pack, or in the Jeep. Just in case.

Not sure they'd do well for what the OP asked about though. Maybe not big enough spikes? I dunno.

Guy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

These pseudo-crampons may work well on an icy level driveway...they look very flimsy and the connection to the boot doesn't appear bombproof. For ice and hard, old snow...get crampons. At the very least get ones without front points for wilderness travel. Without an ice ax on "icy" snow slopes...you will NOT be able to stop if you slip on a steep snow slope.

Watch your step.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

These pseudo-crampons may work well on an icy level driveway...they look very flimsy and the connection to the boot doesn't appear bombproof. For ice and hard, old snow...get crampons. At the very least get ones without front points for wilderness travel. Without an ice ax on "icy" snow slopes...you will NOT be able to stop if you slip on a steep snow slope.

Watch your step.

Oh ya, I've had real crampons for 40 years or so now. But sometimes ya just need a little more grab, not the whole mountaineering setup. smile

Guy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

These pseudo-crampons may work well on an icy level driveway...they look very flimsy and the connection to the boot doesn't appear bombproof.

In other words, you’ve never used them...

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm no expert but I've used the Hillsounds on packed snow and ice, some of which was fairly steep.

Somehow, I survived to tell the tale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad

These pseudo-crampons may work well on an icy level driveway...they look very flimsy and the connection to the boot doesn't appear bombproof.

Yeah..."in other words"...I only use REAL crampons WHEN they are ACTUALLY needed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah..."in other words"...I only use REAL crampons WHEN they are ACTUALLY needed.

The OP asks about slippery grass and you’re recommending crampons... it’s hard to know what to say to you without being completely insulting.

Perhaps you should spend a winter with microspikes before you answer next time?

Undoubtedly hard to do in Arizona...

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

SJ your condescending attitude suggest that your experience/knowledge exceeds that of of others on here.

The quality of what you post does not support that attitude.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Watch your step.

Many experienced people have relied on a Black Diamond Whippet on one or both poles for self arrest for many years. They even work for us tyros. For REALLY EPIC conditions I may even indulge in both an axe and a Whippet. But I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lvmiker

Watch your step.

Many experienced people have relied on a Black Diamond Whippet on one or both poles for self arrest for many years. They even work for us tyros. For REALLY EPIC conditions I may even indulge in both an axe and a Whippet. But I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

mike r

Well then fatboy...c'mon up to the North Cascades where I live and you couldn't follow me for two miles.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
SJ is a legend in his own mind.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The OP asks about slippery grass and you’re recommending crampons... it’s hard to know what to say to you without being completely insulting.

You...stupid..f**K...am here helping to keep your stupid f**k Lib fat*ss safe.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yeah ok! When you have actually done something besides flap your gums let us know.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No hands-on experience, lots of guessing, and a martyr too... seems about right.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Too bad that certain people can’t get voted off the “island” on the Backpack Hunt forum.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Only a flatlander or a Townie would wear your gay microspikes on a slope. Man, if you ARE a man...you are deliberately stupid! Now get off mommie's laptop and go back to your nap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Too bad that certain people can’t get voted off the “island” on the Backpack Hunt forum.

Yeah, ED...that would let you cackle back to your hen house.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
SherrifJoe, have you ever been on a steep hillside, with wet beargrass or even mud and fell on your ass, scrambling to grab something, anything, to stop sliding downhill? "Real" crampons as you put it would work, but you'll be tripping over every log or rock you try to step over due to the overkill spikes and especially the ones on the toe. BTDT. They're great for walking up steep snowdrifts, but they're an absolute detriment for about anything else.

Mildly aggressive crampons, and even the microspikes work well for what the OP wants. They're not just for ice. I use steel Kahoola K10s, and think they're worth every penny when conditions dictate. Hell, just three weeks ago when getting a small bear out in Wyoming, I forgot to put my K10s in my pack as I left town, and ended up shooting the bear in a north/northwest facing avalanche chute with snowmelt water making everything into a mucky mess. I was absolutely wishing I had my not "real", K10s with me.

Speaking of that, I still need to scrub off the mud that got caked onto my rifle after falling on my ass a couple of times.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman

SherrifJoe, have you ever been on a steep hillside, with wet beargrass or even mud and fell on your ass, scrambling to grab something, anything, to stop sliding downhill?

There are two answers to this.

1) SJ's answer, No he is so awesome and experienced he doesn't fall.

2) The real world answer, No because he is couch bound

Either way the answer is NO! smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This old lady began alpine climbing in 1976. I got nostalgic thinking about it, so rooted around my gear closet and dug out my Salewa crampons and ice axe from that year. They're old and outdated but still serviceable. They got replaced within a year with better gear, but I still smile and think of the memories of those early climbs. I've still got my fiberglass Chouinard circa 1980 axe. When I met Yvon Chouinard a couple of years ago and told him I still had my axe and Great Pacific Iron Works Super Gaiters (circa 1976) he thought there was no way I was old enough to own those pieces... chalk it up to good genetics grin

On the vast majority of sheep/goat hunts microspikes are exactly what is wanted (and the aforementioned BD Whippet or BD Raven axe - which is what I use). And even then, they'll likely not get used. Packing crampons is utter foolishness... especially if you're unaccustomed to using them.

This is all fun and games, but it's sad running across someone who's entire self worth is wrapped up in it...

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Awesome!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love my circa. 2018 Salewa Mountain Trainers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Salewa is good chit smile

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do the Chainsen Lights have any adjustability? I'm right on the borderline between sizes--would you order up or down?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
DD, what boot size are you?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You guys make me feel old, I was guided up the Engleberg in Switzerland in about 1960. Flexible cramps attached to leather lace up ski boots and a straight picked ice axe. I have been hooked ever since. Chouinard was an enabler, wrote Climbing Ice, sold the 1st curved pick ice tools and rigid crampons and changed everything.

Someone will be along shortly to inform us that Yvon is the Debbil.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice.

I didn't get to Switzerland until 1977... been back 1/2 a dozen times since.

But I'm just a young girl using my mom's computer smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

SherrifJoe, have you ever been on a steep hillside, with wet beargrass or even mud and fell on your ass, scrambling to grab something, anything, to stop sliding downhill?

There are two answers to this.

1) SJ's answer, No he is so awesome and experienced he doesn't fall.

2) The real world answer, No because he is couch bound

Either way the answer is NO! smile

Nonsense from a Montana guy who lives in an area with the biggest hill is 100 feet high, the biggest game is a rabbit or once in awhile a coyote. You don't know what you are talking about and always will NOT know what you are talking about. You are a flatlander.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Nonsense from a Montana guy who lives in an area with the biggest hill is 100 feet high, the biggest game is a rabbit or once in awhile a coyote. You don't know what you are talking about and always will NOT know what you are talking about. You are a flatlander.

No doubt you are one stupid son of a bitch!

But we have some big dark rabbits!
[Linked Image]

Only 50 foot hills here!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Had a feeling you are woman. That's great and am glad you have some experience in the mountains.

What I've noticed here is that many of the posters have an animus and resentment to those that have more experience and/or knowledge than themselves. They feel it is imperative to attempt to silence those that ACTUALLY know more or EXPERIENCE more than they.

When it comes to mountains readers can disagree with me, but don't expect me to kowtow to nonsense or deliberate stupidity. Vituperous comments and disparagement may make you feel good, but educates no one. Even though I am a trained avalanche forecaster and a very experienced climber of alpine and waterfall ice in the Pacific Northwest, I would defer to someone like Smokepole and others in the Inter Mountain region if he was a trail companion. Might not really like the guy, but would "consider" his local knowledge and local experience until I evaluated their abilities.

If you consider yourself a mountain "traveler" then you must know when to use crampons, trekking poles, ice ax, ice tools and anchors or belays. Entrusting your safety to the dubious performance of micro so-called "spikes" is not the best option. Poles and correct technique traversing or TRAINED ice ax technique is the safer option. Stow the weapons and concentrate on the slope. Once you slip...you BETTER KNOW how to arrest your fall.

Brad, come to the Pacific Northwest's North Cascades...especially the peaks near the Canadian Border region. See what you can do.

Will disregard any nonsense from those that don't know what the hell they're talking about, but shall refrain from responding angrily.

Right now am too damn busy in the Southwest!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hey, MCH...can you teach me how to keep that spike looking so brand new?

That's a skill I'll have to defer...to you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Had a feeling you are woman. That's great and am glad you have some experience in the mountains.

What I've noticed here is that many of the posters have an animus and resentment to those that have more experience and/or knowledge than themselves. They feel it is imperative to attempt to silence those that ACTUALLY know more or EXPERIENCE more than they.

When it comes to mountains readers can disagree with me, but don't expect me to kowtow to nonsense or deliberate stupidity. Vituperous comments and disparagement may make you feel good, but educates no one. Even though I am a trained avalanche forecaster and a very experienced climber of alpine and waterfall ice in the Pacific Northwest, I would defer to someone like Smokepole and others in the Inter Mountain region if he was a trail companion. Might not really like the guy, but would "consider" his local knowledge and local experience until I evaluated their abilities.

If you consider yourself a mountain "traveler" then you must know when to use crampons, trekking poles, ice ax, ice tools and anchors or belays. Entrusting your safety to the dubious performance of micro so-called "spikes" is not the best option. Poles and correct technique traversing or TRAINED ice ax technique is the safer option. Stow the weapons and concentrate on the slope. Once you slip...you BETTER KNOW how to arrest your fall.

Brad, come to the Pacific Northwest's North Cascades...especially the peaks near the Canadian Border region. See what you can do.

Will disregard any nonsense from those that don't know what the hell they're talking about, but shall refrain from responding angrily.

Right now am too damn busy in the Southwest!

More verbal diarrhea out of you. Who would ever have guessed it?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

So much anger...not presaging a long life.

BTW, how DO YOU keep that ice ax looking so new??

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

So much anger...not presaging a long life.

BTW, how DO YOU keep that ice ax looking so new??

No anger at all. Actually I laugh my a_s off at your stupidity. Keep trying though.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My god, the OP isn't asking about advice or equipment to take his kids to climb Everest or ice falls, nor is he asking about anchors or belays for rappelling. I've tied myself off to trees to recover mountain goats, but never bear and certainly never rappelled for one.

Gear suitable for that kind of thing is total overkill in both weight and utility for bear hunting on wet, grassy hillsides. A blow up doll would be more useful than that kind of gear....

Not that there's anything wrong with packing one of those along....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

My god, the OP isn't asking about advice or equipment to take his kids to climb Everest or ice falls, nor is he asking about anchors or belays for rappelling. I've tied myself off to trees to recover mountain goats, but never bear and certainly never rappelled for one.

Gear suitable for that kind of thing is total overkill in both weight and utility for bear hunting on wet, grassy hillsides. A blow up doll would be more useful than that kind of gear....

Yeah but, but, but he may need to forecast a Spring Avalanche you know! SJ knows all.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not sure I've ever put spikes on for a fall bear hunt, but could see it happening. If you get up in the steep stuff, and there has been a freeze, you will be sliding on dead pushki, which is about like teflon goose poop.

Bender, my experience with the Microspikes was following a buddy that had them in the brooks when we got about 6" of fresh snow. We sidehilled about a mile and a half out of a canyon we were checking, and his spikes kept slipping off the side of his boots. I was still jealous of his traction, as I was sliding all over the place, and took a couple good falls. So when I got back and did a little research, the strap across the top of the foot and the more significant "plate" in the sole were the main features that sold me.

You can certainly slip them off on an extended sidehill, but they seem to stick to the feet better than what I saw of the microspikes. I also wouldn't be surprised if the microspikes of today were somewhat different than what I saw, as that was...7 years ago now?

Which Hillsound did you get?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think they are the "trail crampons". If buying again, and without owning the KTS, I'd look at the "trail pro". Balling is a real bummer when the conditions are right, which they frequently are here.
I kept them tied to a set of bunnies right by the front door for a couple winters, but replaced them with less aggressive ice grips last year.

Brad, those Salewa's are cool, and so is the axe.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks. I’ve used the kahtoolas around here feeding when the yaktrax can’t grab enough.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah but, but, but he may need to forecast a Spring Avalanche you know! SJ knows all.

Nope...just more than you. O B V I O U S. Check your blood pressure, flatlander.

In your area, unlikely you'll experience an avalanche with that really long telephoto shot you posted, but if you do...buh bye.

BTW, how do you keep all your gear looking like you JUST bought it????? NO wear and tear or what do they call it in your hills...use?

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Pretty amazing. I've packed out on my back, somewhere around 20 elk, 4-5 sheep and several mulie bucks in beargrass, deadfall and steep shale slopes(35-45 degrees) all while wearing MicroSpikes.
Didn't realize I was doing it all wrong and could have killed myself.
Thank God for the Sheriff to set me straight.

Ed T

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Friggin ponytail-wearing, high blood pressure flatlander grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Pretty amazing. I've packed out on my back, somewhere around 20 elk, 4-5 sheep and several mulie bucks in beargrass, deadfall and steep shale slopes(35-45 degrees) all while wearing MicroSpikes.
Didn't realize I was doing it all wrong and could have killed myself.
Thank God for the Sheriff to set me straight.

Unlike me, you're not a woman, girl, flatlander, or fat-azz lib laugh

But at least the Sheriff is not angry... grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For the original post query: I'd take Kahtoola Micro-spikes or equivalent.

I wear Kathtoola microspikes for nearly everything in the woods nowadays, whether Fall goats, accessing winter steelhead slick mud river banks, predator calling or picking berries in summer. I am heading out today to pick our little Cascade blackberries and will put on the microspikes when I leave the logging road. I wear them more on wet wood in the PNW than I do on snow or ice, and use them year round.

I have instep crampons and full crampons as well. You gotta be careful not to spike yourself with the longer spikes. A friend who hunts BIG bucks in the incredibly steep grassy avalanche chutes in the North Cascades along the Canadian border got me started using instep cramps and I graduated to Kahtoola's for most uses.

I am on my second pair, after finally wearing out my first set of Kahtoolas. They lasted five or six years of heavy year round use. The newer model, purchased last summer, is lighter and work a little better.

In certain snow conditions just at freezing temps, snow will pack the spikes full, not a real common event IME but you have to whack or kick the snow loose or you slip. Also, the left side only of my my earlier Kahtoolas would slowly twist around on my boot, requiring adjusting every ten or 15 minutes of hard use on slopes. It was caused by the way my left foot contacts the ground, but the new version of Kahtoola seems to have fixed that.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks. I’ve used the kahtoolas around here feeding when the yaktrax can’t grab enough.

Krist. I hope you had an ice axe handy you flatlander!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Nope...just more than you. O B V I O U S. Check your blood pressure, flatlander.

In your area, unlikely you'll experience an avalanche with that really long telephoto shot you posted, but if you do...buh bye.

BTW, how do you keep all your gear looking like you JUST bought it????? NO wear and tear or what do they call it in your hills...use?

Telephoto hmmm I only have an iPhone 6. Sorry as usual you are wrong again!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Glad you came out of the gunfight with the bear in one piece...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Okanagan
I wear Kathtoola microspikes for nearly everything in the woods nowadays, whether Fall goats, accessing winter steelhead slick mud river banks, predator calling or picking berries in summer.

I am on my second pair, after finally wearing out my first set of Kahtoolas. They lasted five or six years of heavy year round use. The newer model, purchased last summer, is lighter and work a little better.

Correction: my first pair of Kahtoola's lasted 3 years of year round use, not five or six. In my mind it seemed longer but I just noticed a note I made when I bought the second pair. In good weather when I plan to leave a trail, I carry them in my pack, available if I get into bad footing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 3,080 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.