Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So my sons and I are doing an alpine hunt in Alaska in mid September.

I’ve read where the grass can be very slick and face planting can happen often and microspikes or crampons help. Ice is a not a concern.

Im not sure what type Crampon/spikes I need or what brand is the best way to go.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Andy

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

www.doing-manly-things.com
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Katahoola

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AndySpencer
So my sons and I are doing an alpine hunt in Alaska in mid September.

Congrats, it's very cool that you're going with your sons! I was wondering the same before my AK hunt a few years back, I had read the same. But the outfitter said I wouldn't need to worry about slick grass and he was obviously right so I'd check with your outfitter first.

I've heard Kathoolas are good, but these are the ones I've used and I like 'em:

https://www.amazon.com/Hillsound-Tr...&hvtargid=pla-511400398312&psc=1

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, Im the outfitter. We are chasing black bears in South Central alaska. What part did you hunt smoke?

�Some people hear their own inner voice with great clearness. And they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy�or they become legend."--Jim Harrison

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The microspike types are light/easy enough to have in your pack that you might as well. I also prefer the hillsound trail crampons- I use them a lot in the winter, and my original pair is still going strong.

I've got the kahtoola kts as well, and they are better in ice, but they take just enough more time to put on that I'm always in trouble before I have them on. The microspikes are quick and easy and actually get used.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer Chainsen.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, Im the outfitter. We are chasing black bears in South Central alaska. What part did you hunt smoke?

Never mind, we were in the Chugach, just rock. I hope "the outfitter " comes through!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Well, Im the outfitter.

So, a DYI hunt?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
The microspike types are light/easy enough to have in your pack that you might as well. I also prefer the hillsound trail crampons- I use them a lot in the winter, and my original pair is still going strong.

I've got the kahtoola kts as well, and they are better in ice, but they take just enough more time to put on that I'm always in trouble before I have them on. The microspikes are quick and easy and actually get used.

We have kahtoolas.
Hillsound and kahtoola look nearly identical. What's the difference?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Well, Im the outfitter.

So, a DYI hunt?

Well, Im the outfitter.

So, a DYI hunt?

Yes sir.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

We have kahtoolas.

Kathoola sounds way cooler.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You may want to take a look at Kahtoola K-10's. Hillsound has a Pro version that's similar but has different angles on the front and rear spikes vs the Kahtoola's.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole

Never mind, we were in the Chugach, just rock. I hope "the outfitter " comes through!

Thats where we will be hunting. Definitely looks rocky from my internet research. Smoke were you east or South of Anchorage?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What are you hunting Andy?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Thats where we will be hunting. Definitely looks rocky from my internet research. Smoke were you east or South of Anchorage?

East, over near Chitina.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you're gonna need crampons...get real ones.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

We have kahtoolas.

Kathoola sounds way cooler.

Lol.
They're skookum!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What are you hunting Andy?

Bears.

Last edited by AndySpencer; 06/17/19.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not sure I've ever put spikes on for a fall bear hunt, but could see it happening. If you get up in the steep stuff, and there has been a freeze, you will be sliding on dead pushki, which is about like teflon goose poop.

Bender, my experience with the Microspikes was following a buddy that had them in the brooks when we got about 6" of fresh snow. We sidehilled about a mile and a half out of a canyon we were checking, and his spikes kept slipping off the side of his boots. I was still jealous of his traction, as I was sliding all over the place, and took a couple good falls. So when I got back and did a little research, the strap across the top of the foot and the more significant "plate" in the sole were the main features that sold me.

You can certainly slip them off on an extended sidehill, but they seem to stick to the feet better than what I saw of the microspikes. I also wouldn't be surprised if the microspikes of today were somewhat different than what I saw, as that was...7 years ago now?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
A pard tried the microspikes on a goat hunt last year. Epic fail. Same slipping issue and overall lack of traction. One of them broke on the second day. They seem best suited to the elderly shuffling across an icy driveway to retrieve a newspaper. Short of full on, heavy, mountaineering crampons, the best I've used so far are the old CMI in-steps. They can still be found on ebay.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 62 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.