Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

LOL
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is the very rare "Remington Model 99"

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
So here's where I find "make offer" propositions screwed up in on-line auctions. To me, when somebody says "OBO" it means that they might entertain an offer below their asking price. In contrast, to me, it seems like sellers in on-line auctions expect a buyer to come in with an offer greater than what they are asking and that's kind of fd' up. Why would anyone do that as that is what an auction is all about - driving up the sale price. So you might as well just let the auction run its natural course. As a buyer, I would take the chance of someone out bidding me or the bid going over what I was willing to pay but c'est le vie and BFD! There always will be something else interesting coming down the pike.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have saved quite a few dollars on the take a shot deals. I just offer a price that I am willing to pay, which is always less than what they are asking, and if I get it, fine.
If not, so be it. The last one I did, I saved $100. Works for me, but it may not suit others.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The GB take a shot deal is pretty legit.

You make an offer, seller either accepts or declines.

Plenty of those deals happen off site anyhow.

It's not exactly an OBO deal...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Hey Fireball, You may already have one, but let me ad the importance of having a C&R FFL. Not only may it eliminate the cost and travel and nic check involved with picking up your new baby at your favorite dealer, but you can complete the transaction at your desk and your package will arrive at your door. Most people use the simplest method of qualifying whether or not a firearm is considered a curio or relic, by the age, usually the ser#. If it is 50yrs or older and mechanically original then it is a C&R..

A must have for collectors.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tomygun1
Hey Fireball, You may already have one, but let me ad the importance of having a C&R FFL. Not only may it eliminate the cost and travel and nic check involved with picking up your new baby at your favorite dealer, but you can complete the transaction at your desk and your package will arrive at your door. Most people use the simplest method of qualifying whether or not a firearm is considered a curio or relic, by the age, usually the ser#. If it is 50yrs or older and mechanically original then it is a C&R..

A must have for collectors.

Tom, I do not have one, but I see the logic. Thanks for the heads up. Sent you an email btw.

LOL
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I usually got a notice that mine was due for renewal. I didn’t this year and let it lapse. I didn’t bother renewing because of the need to know the laws of every state. When I first got mine, the way I read the rules, all I needed was a photo copy of the sellers DL, and they could ship straight to me. I called BATF and they said I met “Their Requirments”. Then I found out some states require “All” transfers go through an FFL. I was told thatCA doesn’t recognize the C&R if ammunition is still made for the firearm. Here in MD you have to have an HQL to buy a hand gun. I met a State Trooper at the range. He said I could still buy C&R handguns without the HQL. So, I asked my LGS, and he said MD passed a law requiring C&R handguns to have the HQL too. A friend that has an HQL just bought 22 pistol at an auction, handed his HQL to the dealer doing the transfers, and he handed it back. Said all C&R handguns were “Grandfathered” in. BATF will tell you if you met “Their Requirments”, but if you ask about a Stastes Laws, they repeat, “Their Requirments” . Can get confusing.

To the OBO thing, I always take that to mean a lesser amount. A GB seller had a 22HP listed at $1199. Described as barn find condition, with cheap vintage scope. I took a chance and offer $900. Turned out to be a Malcolm scope, and lettered as being sold to Malcolm. If you low ball an OBO, only two things can happen, they say yes, or they say no.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My C&R is handy sometimes. But some "gun dealers" don't know what it is and won't accept it. They are too bull headed to admit they don't know everything.
I am not trying to start a political discussion but what Joe said is an indication of what's wrong with too much government being run by idiots.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There were times when I rued not having a C&R but not enough to cause me to go get one. My local FFL guy only charges me $20 to do a transfer and I'm very happy to pay him.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think there is anything a state can do in regards to regulating a C&R FFL across state lines. Feds have primacy there, and their laws rule. So I don't see how MD or any other state could keep you from using a C&R to get a gun from another state. I am NOT a lawyer, though.

1) They could tack on other rules, such as any incoming firearms be registered or whatnot.. ?
2) A state might be able to overrule C&R FFL rules for in-state sales? That's a good question.. I wouldn't want to fight a state about it.

Since I use a C&R almost exclusively for out of state purchases, it works for me. Just one or two guns in a 3 year period pays for it.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good if you need parts.Top shot's,said bore lucky to be 70%.. Junker. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
sold

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Let us know if a bullet make's it out the barrel. laugh

Last edited by sqweeler; 06/13/19.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
squeeler just think of all the screws out of index on that thing! You shoulda jumped whilst you had the chance! Haha

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The wife's tomato plants are getting a little high.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think states have any jurisdiction in FFL matters.

I can't remember the whole process anymore but when I got mine, I believe I had to get my local police force (county sheriff) if I remember correctly to bless it. So they knew I had it.

Never heard of state authorities checking up on any FFL's That job as I understand it belongs to BATF. And I've never even heard of a C&R being troubled by any jurisdiction. Not to say that it can't or hasn't happened, but I know a lot of gun guys for a long time, many of them with C&R's and have never heard of it.

~Admiral Yamamoto~

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I seem to remember a C&R over rules state laws. For example I could take all my rifles that are older than 50 years old through the People's Republic of Illinois. I wouldn't do it because I think they will ignore federal regs and confiscate the guns anyway.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The last time I took a serious look I could use my C&R in California unhampered. Actually, C&R sales have been kept pretty simple.

but...it's been a few days since I checked. grin

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

603 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,162 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,656
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.