Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Hello,

I recently purchased a beautiful Model 71 Deluxe Winchester made in 1936...however it had a ring in the barrel about four inches from the muzzle end. I purchased the last barrel Numrichs had and got it today. It has a taper near where the wood ends...I've looked at every carbine photo I can find online and none of them seem to have a barrel like this. Did Winchester make a lightweight barrel or something that I can't find information on?[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/wFms1He78hnu3u2r9[/img]

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
FWIW, I have a Ruger M77 "tanger" .270 that has a loose spot in the bore about six inches back from the muzzle. You can feel it as you push a tight patch from breech to muzzle. Suddenly, the rod "jumps" about two inches. There is no bulge on the exterior of the barrel. As far as I know, this spot has been there from day one. Despite this issue, the rifle is pleasingly accurate, sub MOA, even with some factory ammo.

Is the ring in the barrel of your M71 visible on the exterior? The rifle may shoot fine.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have never seen a 71 with a barrel like the one you have pictured. I own five rifles, not carbines and the front sight ramps are not like yours in the picture either.

C
ctw Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Notice the filled holes in the barrel

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Filled holes? Where? There may be a very slight bulge in the outside...or it may be my mind playing games. I have not tried to shoot it yet. Think it's safe?

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would return the barrel to Numrichs if you can. It has no business on a beautiful Deluxe 71. What is the length of the Barrel on your gun? A factory 20” carbine barrel will be impossible to find. There are plenty of 24” barrels to be had. The ring on your barrel can you see it? Inside and out of the barrel?

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Mine is a rifle, but the barrel I got is 20 inches. I can see the ring inside the barrel, but can barely feel it outside.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ctw
Notice the filled holes in the barrel

Good eye Chris.

Originally Posted by Donkey376
Filled holes? Where? There may be a very slight bulge in the outside...or it may be my mind playing games. I have not tried to shoot it yet. Think it's safe?

In the first pic looks like a filled hole behind the dovetail and just above the OD in MODEL and another above the IN in [sic] WINCHESTER.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
That's staining on the finish...there is a small hole up front for the magazine tube screw. Looks like the original factory finish on the barrel still but cannot figure out the taper.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Over the years I have received some weird parts from Gun Parts Corp./Numrich, your barrel is an example. I wouldn't call that a taper but rather a step down like in a military mauser barrel. I would definately return that barrel to Gun Parts Corp.. As regards the bulged barrel on your rifle, it is safe to shoot and may not affect how the rifle shoots. I would definately try it before making any changes, if the rifle won't shoot then a re-line may be a solution to consider.

IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If it is a 24 inch barrel why not just have it cut off just before the bulge and reattach the front sight?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I really would shoot it first. Right now, you have options, but not as much information as you might like (unless you find a suitable barrel free or exceptionally cheap.) How it shoots seems to me to be a big piece of the puzzle,

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
shoot that rifle with the old barrel 1st,but i would send that other barrel back for good.heck if that old barrel shoots decent use it.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Donkey I have a like new 71 rifle barrel - if interested send me an email address and I'll send some pictures and pricing.

HunterPA
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
It might shoot alright but I'd feel better knowing it had a good barrel so the kids can enjoy when I'm gone. The Numrichs barrel is going back....The Cody Museum seems to think it was a factory reject and it's definitely weird.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
good thought for the future of your kids,i am doing the same by getting 4 rifles in the 257 Roberts ready for my grandkids and my daughter. son likes his Ruger #1 257 Weatherby Mag. to much , the other Ruger #1 257 Weatherby Mag. will go to my oldest grandson when he is a little bigger. i have a really nice 348 Winchester special " 98 %" some day when i die watch for the garage sell ,might go cheap ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That Numrich barrel is not a factory reject. It looks like an original barrel that has been messed with by some gunsmith. Send it back and get your money back. There are quite a few original 71 barrels floating around. I would find the right era replacement and install it.

D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
It's going back on Monday. Found a replacement barrel for her and got fell into 400 pieces of brass last night, plus 5 boxes of factory ammo.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sounds like you're getting it together.
I'd still be tempted to shoot it before you replace the barrel, if only to see how accurate that original barrel is.
BTW, welcome to the 'Fire! Mostly good people here, but a few that compel me to qualify with the "mostly."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunDoc7, duty WHINER
Mostly good people here, but a few that compel me to qualify with the "mostly."
Well, we can't all be as sweet as you, can we? smirk

Jackie Treehorn: Treats objects like women.

Originally Posted by RichardAustin
Montana uses Ruger actions.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.