E
Originally Posted by 44mc
elks quit fibben you hit it with your car grin

whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Originally Posted by 44mc
elks quit fibben you hit it with your car grin

whistle

LOL! What a deal. smile

Guy

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Umm,I hit them,don't think muzzle blast can do this. wink
[Linked Image]

Dang, that's a purty piece of wood on the rabbit gun! smile

Guy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's all about proper shot placement for a quick kill. Which also eliminates the possibility of having to stop a charge. And that does have a super nice chunk of wood on it.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Negative Ghostrider, ......

Hey ! Johnny's ALIVE !! cool

smile smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by satx78247
mudhen,

Even IF you could reliably kill a Cape Buffalo with a 5.56NATO/,223REM (which I seriously doubt), ...

Your doubt has been proven wrong more than a few times. Legal issues related to what one uses is irrelevant to whether or not it will kill something.

I would listen to Dan !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
More recent...

.450 Howell using a 350 grain Speer.

Exit...
[Linked Image]

Ken, you messed up the 'front' shoulder ! whistle laugh

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Why would you use a 223 when you could use a 22 CB cap?

Or a 12 oz ball-pein hammer?

Oh................ if you no longer need them................can I have your guns?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
chlinstructor,

PITY that I've "caught you IN" at least a few "mistakes of fact" OR more likely in KNOWING LIES. = Tell everyone what your excuse will be when I next go to Mother's home, make a Xerox of the letter that MAJ (He was then a 2LT, USAR.) Murphy wrote from a hospital in USAREUR to my mother at Christmas 1944, when he was recovering from a bullet wound to the hip. = The letter is 5 handwritten pages long & mentions mother teaching him English.
(Mother never taught 5th Grade or any other elementary grade.)
My guess is that MAJ Murphy actually took 8th grade English before going to the TXARNG.

NOTE: MAJ Murphy was evidently born in the hamlet of ONIONVILLE, Hunt County, TX, spent his early boyhood there & after his father deserted the family, he lived in at least 6 different towns before joining the TXARNG. = Mrs. Murphy, Audie & his sisters all did farm "stoop labor" to keep eating regularly & followed the "picking season", wherever they could get work.
His mother also was sometimes employed as a housemaid for various people.
(Life was always difficult for the family, until Audie went onto AD & started sending money home.)

When I copy/post that letter to the forum, we can all have a big HORSE LAUGH at your expense, "Mr. Knowitall".

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Personally for buffalo I prefer a quality expensive British side by side rifle in 22 LR regulated for 74 yard shots. I have read that a bullets effectiveness on buffalo increases by x ❌ pi raised to the tenth power where x represents the price of the rifle. Folks only willing to fork over enough money for a 10-22 to hunt buffalo will most likely be stompled to death by wounded buffalos.

Last edited by Lennie; 06/16/19.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
chlinstructor,

PITY that I've "caught you IN" at least a few "mistakes of fact" OR more likely in KNOWING LIES. = Tell everyone what your excuse will be when I next go to Mother's home, make a Xerox of the letter that MAJ (He was then a 2LT, USAR.) Murphy wrote from a hospital in USAREUR to my mother at Christmas 1944, when he was recovering from a bullet wound to the hip. = The letter is 5 handwritten pages long & mentions mother teaching him English.
(Mother never taught 5th Grade or any other elementary grade.)
My guess is that MAJ Murphy actually took 8th grade English before going to the TXARNG.

NOTE: MAJ Murphy was evidently born in the hamlet of ONIONVILLE, Hunt County, TX, spent his early boyhood there & after his father deserted the family, he lived in at least 6 different towns before joining the TXARNG. = Mrs. Murphy, Audie & his sisters all did farm "stoop labor" to keep eating regularly & followed the "picking season", wherever they could get work.
His mother also was sometimes employed as a housemaid for various people.
(Life was always difficult for the family, until Audie went onto AD & started sending money home.)

When I copy/post that letter to the forum, we can all have a big HORSE LAUGH at your expense, "Mr. Knowitall".

yours, tex

We will all be holding our breaths awaiting your “post”

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Heres a little help so you can get your “story” straight.

The problem with most liars is not being able to remember what they said in the first place.

OrangeOkie,

Fwiw, there a few flaws in the article about MAJ Murphy (He made Major in the TXARNG) was that the ARMY, NAVY, USAAC & the Marines turned him down, as "unsuitable for military service". = He WAS allowed to join the 3/144th Infantry Regiment, TXARNG & when he attended basic training, he was allowed to enlist in the Active Army for a period "of the World War plus 6 months".
(After he received the MoH, I've wondered how embarrassed that all of the people must have been to NOT have accepted THE MOST DECORATED soldier of WWII into their branch of service because of "unsuitability".)

When he was released from AD with the US Army, 1LT Murphy returned to the TXARNG, was promoted to Captain & later to Major.
(He was a Major at retirement from the Texas Guard. - We of the 3/144th Infantry are VERY PROUD of his valor & service, whether AD or ARNG and that he was "one of ours".

Btw, my mother taught Audie (8th Grade English) & all of his sisters (Vocational Home Economics) when she taught school in Elysian Fields. - (After Mother passed away at age 99YO in SEP 2016, we found a long letter from 2LT Murphy in Mother's Bible, that he wrote her just before Christmas 1944 & while he was hospitalized in an Army hospital with a severe bullet-wound to his hip. = 2LT Murphy said in the "Christmas letter" that he had received an appointment to WEST POINT & that he was eager to be a WPMA cadet & looked forward to being a Career Army Officer. - As his luck would have it, his wound never healed sufficiently to allow him to attend West Point & in early 1945 he was released from active Army service for "disability" BUT he never received a service-connected disability check, as far as I can find out.)

yours, tex

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/17/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by jwall
More recent...

.450 Howell using a 350 grain Speer.

Exit...
[Linked Image]

Ken, you messed up the 'front' shoulder ! whistle laugh

Jerry

Yup. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The old blue 40 grain XLC is the bullet of choice for those who know ...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
At some distance, a 223 Rem is nothing more than a 22 Hornet. And at some distance, the 22 Hornet is less powerful than a 22 LR.

So, just get close with your 22 LR. Probably would use a high-velocity copper-plated solid bullet ( not HP) to ensure deep penetration to the vitals. It goes without saying, but, shot placement is everything.

In that regard, the 223 may be Overkill. You can't kill them deader than dead. Don't get me going on the 223 AI or 6.5 Creedmore.

Maybe you guide can use them for back-up rifles.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Give me a buffalo and some Barnes 62 TTSX and I'll go for it!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't be wastin' those fancy bullets, 5.56 ball will do the trick.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
better have at least two tags...

Defend the Constitution
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (1minute, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 3,100 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,710
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.