Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I've been shopping for new boots before this fall gets any closer . I've been looking for something lightweight and still stiff. We hunt in some serious steep country at about 11,000 ft. My Midwestern lungs need all the help they can get regarding weight. We take horses in , not backpacking .I've been leaning to something like Salomon or Crispi, but I've found Danner Elk Hunters on sale for about the same price. USA made and a great reputation . About a pound a pair heavier than what I've looked at. Are they worth the extra weight ?

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve heard numerous not so good remarks about Crispi. Hard to beat Kenetreks if you prefer “stiff”. My personal favorite are Lowa Renegade GTX’s. Best boot I’ve ever hunted in. Zero break in, very comfortable, hold up very well. Stiff...but nowhere near as stiff as others. I’m on my 4th year and won’t need a replacement pair this fall.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, I appreciate the info. I want a pair to last .

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BigPine: I sure enjoy my Danner Elk Hunters.
I care for them carefully and religiously anymore because I thought for a time they were discontinued?
Anyway I have my main pair and two other pairs of Danner Elk Hunters in reserve!
I bought these at different times 15 to 20 years ago and they were factory returns (all three pairs).
I have since lost my source for factory returns so these (I am sure!) will last me the rest of my life and one of the VarmintSons lives.
I have NO experience or expertise with Salomon or Crispi boots because all I have ever used are Danners of various models for the last 50 years or so!
I have a couple of pairs of Danner lighter weight boots for Antelope and archery Elk seasons but come Elk Rifle season the Danner Elk Hunters are my go to boots.
Many years ago I ruined a pair of Danner boots by having to cross a nut sack deep river 12 times in two days packing out a Bull Moose - we had not way to dry our boots or oil them and that did them in in short order.
I have heard that Danner Boots, because of their "construction/design" can NOT be re-soled?
I don't know?
I recommend the Danner Elk Hunters for warmth, ankle support, water resistance (under typical conditions) and comfort.
And they are (were!) American made.
Other boots may be better - you just could not prove it by me.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Varmintguy ,
One of the guys I hunt with swears by them , and same as you, he's had nothing else for 30 some years of elk hunting . I mostly will be elk hunting in archery season , American made is ideal and they are respectable. I'm only second guessing them to try and save weight. We camp at about 11,000 feet and hunt down into the drainage's to about 10,000 feet. Hard on the legs , mine anyway.

BP

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I used to love Danner boots.
If "elk hunters" are USA made, you have a chance.
Personally, if I am walking in boots and there is any chance of moisture (dew, frost, puddles, rain) I wear my Kennetrek Mtn. Extreme.
Anything with a stitched on sole won't keep out water very long.
If I greased my last Danners every night in hunting camp and caked grease on the seams, I might have dry socks at lunch on a damp morning.
Funny, I just gave those Danners to the tracker I had in Namibia last week. They are comfortable and it is a tad dry in Africa, so he was thrilled.
I won't be buying another pair of Danners.......ever.

Have Dog

Will Travel

B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Slave ,
I can appreciate that , but $400 to almost $500 is not in my budget . I usually do treat the seams every night in camp , or at home after a day of hunting .

BP

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Anything Danner is pure trash. They may work for the casual elk hunter of ranches and flat ground, but for steep country and heavy loads they will fail.

Lowe, Kennetrek, Meindl, Crispi are the way to go. Buy once, cry once.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a pair of Crispi Idaho’s and there by far the best boot I have ever owned. I used to where Danners but had to many bad experiences between friends and family.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I bought a pair of Danners almost 25 years ago and still have them and love them. I bought the Pronghorns, all leather, not the 1/2 leather, 1/2 cordura type. They have been everything I've ever wanted in a hunting boot. The country here in Utah can be TOUGH on gear, but these Danners have held up well. The need to be re-soled and Danner will re-sole them for a fee. I need to get them sent in for the work so I'll have them back before our elk opener in early October. If I live long enough, I won't be surprised to get another 25 years out of them.

IC B3

B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I appreciate all the input. Tough choice for me

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I used Danner Canadians and Elk Hunters for years. A few years back I went with a pair of Meindl Alaskans. Much lighter, better support, more comfortable and the water liner actually works. I see no advantage to Danner boots.

Last edited by BWalker; 06/14/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The older Danner's were great boots, the newer ones are not the same quality. Good, but not as good as they used to be. Bought boots last year, looked at all of them and decided on Irish setters. Elk Trackers, a bit heavy but are sown soles not glued. Only one year on them but love them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
if i was still a young man and could still run the mountains Kenetrek boots are by far the best boots !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you want boots to be waterproof, (and nothing is waterproof unless rubber boots) they need to have a Gortex lining. One hunt last year was wet and sloppy, the Irish Setters did not give me wet feet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ran Danner Elk Hunters for 10 years or so. Also had a pair of older Canadians. They were good boot after they were broke in. I've had a couple pairs of Cabelas Meindls. I find the Mendls comfortable.

Having said all that, I now have 3 pairs of Crispi - Wild Rock, Guide, Wyoming. I wear the Guide the most. I find them really comfortable. They do get into my heels after a day or so but solved that with a piece of Leukatape to the heel. Nary and issue after. I have that issue with most boots when elk hunting with a pack/load on my back and doing alot of climbing up steep slopes.

Black Ovis is/was running a sale on Crispis.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As I get older, the balls of my feet have spread. The only boots I've found that really fit me well are Keenes. I have a pair of their Targhees that fits me great and should last me as long as I can still elk hunt. They probably aren't as rugged as many of you like but fit is crucial.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by pete53
if i was still a young man and could still run the mountains Kenetrek boots are by far the best boots !

Kennetreks are a very stiff, hard boot and are very uncomfortable. About like walking bare foot on ball bearings. I base this on the pair I got for free from my employer. They sit in the closet for the most part.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BWalker

Kennetreks are a very stiff, hard boot and are very uncomfortable. About like walking bare foot on ball bearings. I base this on the pair I got for free from my employer. They sit in the closet for the most part.

I found exactly the opposite for me. I have 3 pairs of Kennetreks that I use 9 months out of the years for the past 10 years. Easy to break in and comfortable as any boot I have ever worn. I use them harder than most and usually with a load so maybe that’s the difference. You could give me a truck load of Danners or Irish Setters. Well maybe if I was an upland bird hunter they might work on flat ground.

If kennetrek hurt your feet you may want to try Keen or Hi Tec.

Last edited by callnum; 06/15/19.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve had a pair of Danner Elk Hunters for 15 yrs+. I don't use them for real mountains as I have Scarpas for that. However, for the usual Western terrain in MT and CO I’ve used the Danners - 400 gram Thinsulate - and like how they work. Good for the plains and occasional use in steeper terrain, but they are not intended to be real mountain and rock boots. My soles are pretty worn but still good enough of occasional use.

Kennetreks are probably a better bet for steep terrain. I haven’t used them but saw my guide on a tough BC goat hunt use them last year - they work. I had my Scarpas and was glad for them.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigPine
Slave ,
I can appreciate that , but $400 to almost $500 is not in my budget . I usually do treat the seams every night in camp , or at home after a day of hunting .

BP

I hear you, Bra.

I got mine on sale (I think it was on Camofire) $279 +USPS.
I have never treated them with anything......ever.
Unreal waterproof capability.

If you don't need waterproof and hunt flatland, you don't need these boots.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker

Lol.
I'll pay the freight........

to my door.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to wear pronghorns in the fall....always.
Very comfortable and didn't leak....(with "normal" maintenance).
The last pair I bought (same ones I gave away in Namibia last week) were made in China.
I asked the boot shop owner wtf? He said if they leak bring them back and I'll refund your money.
(He too was used to quality Danner boots)
I hunted them that fall.
I got wet.
A lot.
Saw him at a function in the spring. Mentioned to him my boots sucked and my feet got wet......
No mention of refund.
Guess I wasn't the only dis-satisfied customer.

Sucks really. They have a very comfortable design.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You'll want to check out the schnees mountain boots. Not as popular but i believe every bit as good as the other top brands.

FWIW, I have meidle perfekts, schnee beartooths and danner canadiens, and the danners are not only super warm but perfect for walking all day without a significant load.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Shortly after I started elk hunting at (33) I used Redwings and Danner lites. One of my partners used Elk Hunters and goit me started on them. I used the combination of Elk Hunters and Sorel Pac boots for about 14 years, They worked really well in the Blue Mountains of Oregon and I still have them and they work fine for hilly ground. I also bought two new pair when they discontinued them. One insulated, the other not. They have never been used.

For steeper , rockier stuff I prefer Lowa GTX's. They are a bit stiffer, very comfortable and their soles work better than the airbobs on rock and hardpan.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've been shopping for new boots before this fall gets any closer . I've been looking for something lightweight and still stiff. We hunt in some serious steep country at about 11,000 ft. My Midwestern lungs need all the help they can get regarding weight. We take horses in , not backpacking .I've been leaning to something like Salomon or Crispi, but I've found Danner Elk Hunters on sale for about the same price. USA made and a great reputation . About a pound a pair heavier than what I've looked at. Are they worth the extra weight ?

I absolutely hate these boots . I have broken them on a hunt.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a couple pair over the years although I never worn them actually elk hunting. The problem I experienced was that as the leather broke in and softened the area where it joined the sole made them sloppy. Like the sole was to heavy for the thickness of the leather allowing too much side to side ankle movement. They felt good on because I like the boxy toe. But I need the ankle stability having sprained both several times over the years and these did not provide that after a while. Too bad because I like them otherwise, if the leather was a little stiffer/thicker.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For bow season I would look more towards a heavy back packing or light mountaineering boot. Lighter, better support, and foot/ankle protection. I have two pair of US Danners the Pronghorn and I think the Pioneer which looks like an insulated version of the elk hunter. Both have been good but the pronghorns are starting to leak and the pioneers the soles came off completely, looks like ozone rot. I did get more than ten years of service out of each and the pioneers can be resoled by Danner. Same complaint as DogsL on sloppiness of the Danner pioneer this was aggravated by the insulation too.

I like the hikers and lt. mountaineering boots from Galibia, Lowa, Vasque, Alico, and Garmont. I think the technology is ahead of the typical hunting boot. Better support and foot protection and lighter weight. Check outlets like Sierra trading post for some good deals. Look at the Alico Summit for a good old school type of boot. My Garmont boots have held up really well as did the Lowas and the Vasque. The Vasque went through three pairs of vibram soles before retirement. That was also a couple of thousand miles.

Stitch down boots can be made fairly waterproof with pure melted bees wax and the rest of the boot treated with the Obenaufs wax. Early season I prefer non goretex boots unless crossing a lot of streams or swamps. You can also wear goretex socks for water crossings.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
2 prs Danners, 1 pr the Elk Hunter, developed loud squeaks at low miles between the airbob and the boot sole. No warranty. Done.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for all the great input everyone, I'm passing on the Danners . I tend to stay with old school products but I don't need a full leather boot for archery season. One of the hiker types is what I'll go with.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Slave ,

BP

BP - watch E-Bay for Kenetreks - they post their customer returns on there. You can find a good deal, but waiting for the right size can take a while.

I like Danners, still have several pairs, BUT they are now Eastern hunting boots, I won't wear them out West after my Kenetreks and Crispis.

My experience, the Danners aren't stiff enough after a few trips, and they don't support my ankles enough to not risk an ankle sprain.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for all the great input everyone, I'm passing on the Danners . I tend to stay with old school products but I don't need a full leather boot for archery season. One of the hiker types is what I'll go with.
I used to wear a pair of thick leather soled moccasins for bow hunting. They weren't good for steep country or rocks but if the terrain was right, they were comfortable and QUIET. I sneaked right in on more than 1 deer with them. They could be slick on wet grass, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
not the elk hunters, but I just received my Filson Uplander boots back from their second re-sole in 13 years. Awesome boots. I picked up a second pair a few years ago. These are by far my favorite boots, and I also have Red wings, wolverines, etc...

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by flintlocke
2 prs Danners, 1 pr the Elk Hunter, developed loud squeaks at low miles between the airbob and the boot sole. No warranty. Done.

Same experience that I had. Worst pair of boots I’ve ever owned. 1st day I wore them I got caught in a rain in North Idaho hunting thick timber. First thing, both feet soaked and freezing. Then, those Elk Hunter boots developed the damnedest loud squeak you could imagine. Both boots! Feet were soaked and boots squeaking like mad I took them off and used my knife to cut the liners and stuffed bear grass into them to try to shut them up. Slogged my way back to camp, took them off and never wore them again.

I’ll be happy to sell you mine! 20 years old and only 5 miles on them. Come with custom bear grass insulation! Haven’t leaked or squeaked in over 20 years!

What a joke. Total garbage.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I have two pair of Danner’s I bought around ‘94 mostly for elk hunting but I wear them around here during deer season. I think they were a “Cabela’s” brand and they’re very light with 200 (?) grams of insulation. One has a standard vibram and another with air bob soles. They’re the type with leather toe, heel and tongue/eyelet strip,lace to toe and cordura side panels. They also have a Gore-tex liner. I’ve had the soles replaced once on both of them and two islets replaced.

I’ve got a narrow foot and these have been perfect for me. Good wear, waterproof and fit for 25 years. Hard to beat.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been wearing Danner Canadian boots for many moons for big game hunting. An excellent boot for rough environments. Made in US.
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I’ve been wearing Danner Canadian boots for many moons for big game hunting. An excellent boot for rough environments. Made in US.
😎

That's because you are a resident of Oregon , they make them special just for you. laugh

B
BigPine Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I went with the Lowa GTX, decision made easier by Blackovis 38% off sale . They have some good deals for the 4th of July sale.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Im going to have a tough time buying anything from Oregon in the future.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you live where you can get to a real mountain shop, or even an REI you will find that boots/ shoes for the mountains have evolved a great deal in the last 5 years. Light, anatomically correct, waterproof and tough are all available in 1 boot but you have to try them on to insure proper fit. For me , if not in snow or very wet I really prefer trail running shoes specifically the Altra Lone Pines. I do not carry a pack of >25 lbs.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,909 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,535
Posts18,453,012
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.