Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Looking to tie some flys. Started flyfishing last year so apparently this is the next step lol. Local shops carry HMH and bass pro has the peak rotary version. Haven't seen the hmh in person so not sure what model they have. Both seem solid. Any advice on these or others? Wanna spend $200 ish or less. Thx

A man's got to know his limitations!
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Peak rotary for what you want spend.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using a pair of Regal vises for over twenty years. One a table top model (for traveling) and the other a clamp on. They do everything I want to do as far as fly tying. Good luck and have fun with your fly tying it becomes a sport onto itself.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have owned many, many different vises over the years and have settled on the Nor-Vise and have been on their prostaff for quite a few years (my son, also) and use a lot of the features they bring to the table...

If I was not using it the Regal would be my first choice. They hold a wider range of hooks better than any other brand I have used. I have owned a few ridiculously expensive vices, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HMH Spartan is a great $200 vise. Made here in Maine. I've tied 10x long 2/0 streamers down to 26s with mine and no troubles.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Although I don't have wide experience with different vises, the Danvise has done me well for a long time. I'd buy another if I needed one. Under $110.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been using a Regal Inex for many, many years. Great vise, solid holding power, handles a wide range of hook sizes.
On the road, I take my Renzetti Travel vise. You can't go wrong with either.
I am quite interested in the Norvise though.
FWIW, I still have my first vise, an old Thompson Model A. Works pretty darn good still.
Buy a good quality vise and have fun!

C
C
Renzetti is my favorite vise.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Renzetti for as long as I can remember.

I tend to use more than enough gun
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Peak rotary for my needs.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I watched my dad tie a lot of flys on a old Herters vice. He’s since upgrading. I have no doubt that you can find a vice that has the features you need at a price point you want.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Regal for home. Renzetti for a travel vise

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my peak and my Regal. To meet what your looking for, the Peak is awsome.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Adding another vote for the Peak Rotary. I found a used one in excellent condition for our son for $150 shipped if I remember right on this forum:

Classifieds @ Washington Fly Fishing

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 03/04/21.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too am looking for a new unit, but all I find on the shelves are sourced from China.

1Minute
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Used NorVise. I do not know anyone (myself included) who has ever gotten a NorVise and switched back to anything else.. Make sure you use the NorVise bobbin as well (will make you hate all non-retracting bobbins)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ORFish
Used NorVise. I do not know anyone (myself included) who has ever gotten a NorVise and switched back to anything else.. Make sure you use the NorVise bobbin as well (will make you hate all non-retracting bobbins)

I agree with you 100%...

My daughter-in-law and granddaughter have started tying in earnest lately and they do not make any excuses for limits from their riggin'.
wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have given away many Renzettis and felt the need to apologize...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by troutfly
I have been using a Regal Inex for many, many years. Great vise, solid holding power, handles a wide range of hook sizes.
On the road, I take my Renzetti Travel vise. You can't go wrong with either.
I am quite interested in the Norvise though.
FWIW, I still have my first vise, an old Thompson Model A. Works pretty darn good still.
Buy a good quality vise and have fun!

I still use my old Thompson A as well; works great.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been using this, Peak, for a few years. Works well and is reasonably priced. Bench is all cleaned up and ready for next winter tying season.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Decided to jump on the Norvise wagon, went to their site, and it seems they're pretty much sold out. Anyone know if they are still in business/production, or are they closing up shop? Did the contact thing through their site, but have not gotten a response yet.

Thanks,

1Minute
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 1minute
Decided to jump on the Norvise wagon, went to their site, and it seems they're pretty much sold out. Anyone know if they are still in business/production, or are they closing up shop? Did the contact thing through their site, but have not gotten a response yet.

Thanks,

There's one left available right now on Amazon. Pricey little buggers.
Better hurry...

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 03/28/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EagleMountainman:

Thanks for the heads up. Think I scored it. Typically try to purchase directly from the manufacturers and did not think to go there.

You cost me a bundle, dammit.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 03/28/21.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently picked up a Regal Medallion to replace a HMH that I had lost in a move. Its a wonderful vise, extreme hook holding power. I've been tying on it for a week now and come to really like it. Not true rotary, but I don't need true rotary. Rotary action is good enough for me. I like the simplicity and range of hook sizes it will hold with no adjustments needed.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 1minute
EagleMountainman:

Thanks for the heads up. Think I scored it. Typically try to purchase directly from the manufacturers and did not think to go there.

You cost me a bundle, dammit.

Have a good one,

More than happy to help out. Assisting others in spending their money, is much more fun than spending my own.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 03/29/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got an e-mail response from the Norvise folks this AM. They are still in business and are presently restocking if any one is interested.
Tight lines,

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vise showed up in today's mail. Excellent concept.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

+100!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Renzetti !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 35 years of commercial tying and worth every cent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have been using my Renzetti Traveler ever since 2005 or abouts. So long I cant remember. Im not a commercial tier but I reckon I have tied thousands of flies for myself and my buds. Im saltwater only so no idea how it works with small trout flies. I have had no issues with this vise at all. On the other hand I never used any other vise so I have no reference to compare it to.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

What he said! GREAT vice and fantastic bobbin.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been using the NorVise for about a year now. My take, it's a great unit for producing large flies that demand a lot of winding. Still prefer my old Thompson's for ties from 10's down to the tiny 20-22's for trout though.

1Minute
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 53 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,606
Posts18,454,857
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.