Print Thread
Hop To
B
BEN243 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thinking about picking up a 22 WMR rifle. The two that I'm interested in are the Savage Model B22 Magnum G and the Marlin Model XT-22MTSL. Just wondering if anyone out there has one of these rifles and what they think of them ... good or bad ? Ben

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got the BTVS in 22 mag. I really like it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
in the new 22 mags. i like the Ruger bolt with a rotary clip

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd probably pick the Marlin, of the two you mentioned. I have an older Marlin and it shoots pretty good.

Otherwise, though, I'd look at the Ruger American Rimfire. Slick and smooth. flush-mounted magazine that WORKS, in that same price range. I don't like the styling of the newer Savages or the new Marlins, either.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Marlins are very good, especially older ones. In stainless I like Savages. But for overall great gun....CZ.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Marlins are very good, especially older ones. In stainless I like Savages. But for overall great gun....CZ.
My old Marlin 882 shoots circles around my brothers CZ. The cost of a rifle and the looks has little to do with how well it will shoot. I'll take the more accurate one every time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB has a very accurate and non-fussy RAR, but IIRC a guy from Ruger told him he got very lucky.

Tried a couple, a CZ and a 9422, but accuracy was disapponting, so my .22 Maggie chores, if any, will get handled by my Hornet, full strength or loaded down. Still like the concept, but have spent all I'm going to chasing it.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I bought a Marlin 983 from a friend who had just opened a store (mostly gunsmithing). I haven't shot it yet, but he told me it was a really good shooter. Don't let his motivation to sell fool you - hes a classic old school understater, definitely not the salesman type.
BUT - IMO all of the old non-blade trigger Marlins desperately need a trigger replacement. Factory triggers are some of the worst I've ever come across, and ive always been doubtful of pen spring trigger type fixes for any gun. I hear that others have success with them but I'm not sold. Just one mans opinion.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by kragman1
I bought a Marlin 983 from a friend who had just opened a store (mostly gunsmithing). I haven't shot it yet, but he told m- IMO all of the old non-blade trigger Marlins desperately need a trigger replacement. Factory triggers are some of the worst I've ever come across, and ive always been doubtful of pen spring trigger type fixes for any gun. I hear that others have success with them but I'm not sold. Just one mans opinion.

You are dead wrong. They are amoungst the EASIEST triggers to tune. And they are safe if kept at about 2.5 to 3 pounds with adequate sear engagement. Pretty much like 90% of the sporting triggers out there.

MUCH MUCH easier than improving a factory CZ452 & 455 trigger.

The only problem with spring replacement tuning method is the SAME problem as folks improperly adjusting ANY fully adjustable trigger. They make the spring tension too light. As long as the replacement spring is long enough to provide the proper tension, it works fine.

Simply throwing $100 at the problem by totally replacing the trigger unit does not solve the real issue.. The safety of the resulting unit is all up to the person doing the asjustment. Factory or aftermarket.

Last edited by jk16; 06/15/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jk16
Originally Posted by kragman1
I bought a Marlin 983 from a friend who had just opened a store (mostly gunsmithing). I haven't shot it yet, but he told m- IMO all of the old non-blade trigger Marlins desperately need a trigger replacement. Factory triggers are some of the worst I've ever come across, and ive always been doubtful of pen spring trigger type fixes for any gun. I hear that others have success with them but I'm not sold. Just one mans opinion.

You are dead wrong. They are amoungst the EASIEST triggers to tune. And they are safe if kept at about 2.5 to 3 pounds with adequate sear engagement. Pretty much like 90% of the sporting triggers out there.

MUCH MUCH easier than improving a factory CZ452 & 455 trigger.

Simply throwing $100 at the problem by totally replacing the trigger unit solves nothing.

The safety of the resulting unit is all up to the person doing the asjustment. Factory or aftermarket.
Yep, the old style Marlin triggers are easy to tune and make fabulous. Mine is 2.5 lbs. and breaks like a glass rod. Still, to make them great you need an overtavel stop. I just drill and tap a 6x48 hole in the rear of the trigger guard and intall a trigger stop screw. Trim the screw so the head is tight to the rear of the guard when at the proper length to stop the trigger as soon as it breaks and you have a truly excellent trigger.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have Marlin rimfire rifles in the 700, 800, 900, and XT series and while I think that the 900 and XT series triggers are better out of the box, the 700 and 800 triggers are simple and easy to improve on. I bought a 781 last month that looks nearly new and while the trigger isn't Remington 37/40 or Winchester 52 crisp, it is pretty good for a light barrel sporter that is 38 years old.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
9422M on the line at 50 yards, bag rest, WW 40 gr JHP circa 2005. Boring gun it is and the target is fairly representative of what it does, day in and day out.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Not an answer to your question, as it is outside the scope, but I currently have 19 rifles, 6 revolvers, and 3 Savage 24s chambered in .22 MAG. If forced to keep just one of the rifles, I'd be torn between the Marlin 983 and the Remington 597, but I'd keep the Marlin and miss the Remington. I've never met a Marlin 983 owner who wasn't a fan of that rifle/cartridge combination.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
How do the Marlin Model XT-22MT compare to the Model 983? I've been wanting to buy a XT-22MT when they come back in stock.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't like the molded in sling "studs" in the XT series plastic stocks, but the barreled actions are the same as far as I can tell.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.