Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
....maybe?

I hadn’t been interested in many new 700’s for a while until I bought a few of these for the shelf. I walked by it for a couple days and decided what the heck. I like the 20” magnum contour and it’s threaded (I have several cans). The B&C stock feels decent too. Overall, the rifle is of better quality than I’ve seen from them in the recent past.

Had a rep give me a few boxes of the new Sierras and I threw on a VX5. Got home and shot it. I’m impressed!

It may not be the perfect whitetail combo, but it’s fun to play with!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
BP-B6

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They make a LH version?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thread not to long ago here, folks biitching about that rifle, damn nice, well thought out ... what are you guys selling em for?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
No lefty’s.

Right at a grand. Like $979 I think.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The rifle reminds me of a Howa Alpine on steroids.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Derrick

Is the Sierra ammo available?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That’ll put a KY dink in the freezer..

whistle

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Derrick

Yep

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Derrick

Yep

PM sent

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No lefty’s.

Copy thanks, have a hard time building one for that... Looks like a dandy.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have you to thank for my "perfect whitetail combo". It is a Christensen Arms Ridgeline with a 20 inch barrel. I have a can for it, and am interested in the ammunition you have posted. The 130 grain Tipped Gameking. Should be the equivalent of Deer Cyanide.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like it. If they'd gone stainless (at least on the barrel) it be all that and a box of chocolates.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
The rifle reminds me of a Howa Alpine on steroids.

I agree.....I might would be interested if available in .308 Win which it aint👎🏿.........Hb

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I like it. If they'd gone stainless (at least on the barrel) it be all that and a box of chocolates.

IIRC, those are stainless w/ black ceracote.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dunno bro.

For a grand that 7-08 threaded Fieldcraft you just sold would be hard to beat.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like it. It would be a good deer stand rifle but still light/handy enough to tote around. I'd like to see it in some other calibers.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I dunno bro.

For a grand that 7-08 threaded Fieldcraft you just sold would be hard to beat.

Haha wow....

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have had quite a few 700’s. All shot well, just bought a used C grade, eager to see how it shoots.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Nebraska

IIRC, those are stainless w/ black ceracote.....

I was thinking it might be as well but when I looked up the specs the barrel material is listed as carbon steel:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-nra-american-hunter

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looks heavy.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my thought on the perfect whitetail combo rifle is or might be different than someone in Texas , since i hunt near the Canadian border and only for older whitetail bucks. these older bucks live weight are around 225 lbs. - 325 lbs. ,so myself i prefer a larger cartridge so i am able to most of the time knock that buck down hard and fast. where i hunt on my land in a tamarac swamp i have cut and maintain shooting lanes out to 300 yards ,lanes are 20 feet wide so i don`t have alot of time for more than one shot. i like a Ruger #1 because its shorter because it does not have a reciever so it swings up and out my enclosed stand faster. the reason for a enclosed stand its quieter,no scent outside of enclosed stand ,as long as you keep windows shut tel you make the shot,its warmer and dryer too,my movement isn`t seen either. so for me a rifle that is accurate,shoots that one shot fast and has plenty power is a Ruger #1 in a 257 Weatherby Mag. with a Nightforce scope,i use this same rifle out west with a bi-pod then ,my son has one too. >believe me this grand old cartridge the 257 Weatherby Mag. is still a great buck slayer shoots a long ways out fast and hard. good luck this fall,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No lefty’s.

Easy decision when you post FC's for ~1050

Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe for you, but not for me.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If the Tikka T3/CTR didn't exist, I would be all about this rifle.

To my eyes, its about the most well thought out 700 and that Rem has offered in some time.

I'd consider it, but only to find one used here in a year or 2 for closer to $700

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Which version did you buy and not like, threaded, non-threaded, 30-06, Creed?

Dave

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
As I get older, I'm liking shorter barrels more and more. I also like the option to use a suppressor. Like Scott said on here many moons ago, "I've never heard anybody say I could have made that shot with a longer barrel".

It is a pretty well thought out rifle. It's not as heavy as it appears either. I primarily a whitetail hunter. I hunt from tree stands and blinds. My longest walk is about 1/2 mile. Weight isn't an issue for me. If I were in a different locale and hunting other animals, I'd carry one of my lighter options.

While we're on the subject, I do think the Barrett Fieldcraft is probably the finest stainless production rifle on the market right now. To call it a production rifle isn't really fair either. The all get some custom attention. Personally, I'm just not crazy about the stock ergo's. If that rifle was in the Kimber Montana stock, I'd probably have 4 or 5 of them!

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
This is close to what I think would be the best whitetail gun. I would go 308 and a McMillan, oh, and sweep back that bolt handle. It looks awful at that angle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RDW

Which version did you buy and not like, threaded, non-threaded, 30-06, Creed?

Not hot for the H-S stock, it isn't stainless, I don't do suppressors, and if I had $1,000 to spend any way that I wanted to, it probably wouldn't be on another Remington Seven.

I own, and have owned, a pile of Remington Sevens and the only two that I really like are a matched pair of stainless barreled actions in 223 and 260 that are bedded in the laminated mannlicher stocks from the Remington Custom Shop.

I have hundreds of CF rifles, so in order for me to be motivated to buy another one, it has to scratch an itch or be exceptionally uncommon or priced so low that to not buy it would be almost irresponsible.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Model Seven? If you are talking about the OP's rifle its a model 700......Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

My bad, I thought that was the Model Seven with the H-S stock, but I see that it is a 700 with a B&C stock. Remington lists it an the 700 NRA American Hunter with a MSRP of $1,349.

Remington claims the following specs:

20" fluted barrel with 5R rifling and threaded muzzle
Improved barrel surface finish in the bore
Overall Length of 39 3/8"
Twist Rate: 1:8
Mag Capacity: 4+1
Remington receiver and barrel with custom level blueprint machining and tolerances
Durable black Cerakote finish on barreled action
Premium Bell & Carlson stock with aluminum bedding block
Upgraded Leupold Mark 4 scope bases with 8-40 screws
Distinctively engraved floorplateb
Unique serial number dedicated to this limited edition offering
Enhanced and externally adjustable X Mark Pro trigger

Call me skeptical, but I wonder if a production rifle can really have custom level blueprint machining and tolerance. People pay $1,349 or more for 700 action clones that really are custom level, but Remington claims that they can do the whole package for less that the $979 that Whittaker's is selling them for and still make a profit doing so?

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was the point I was making earlier, a Fieldcraft was listed for ~1050 in the last few days and Remington does not have a ticket to the race much less a place on the track.

Even at full retail Remington is not even close to Barrett in quality or accuracy.

Dave

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I built a rifle similar to this one about 20 years ago for the kids. Factory Rem 700 .243 cut down to 20". Put it in a 12.5" LOP Rynite ADL stock. It accounted for far more than it's fair share of KY WT's... A Left Hand version of this rifle would be tempting...

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RDW
That was the point I was making earlier, a Fieldcraft was listed for ~1050 in the last few days and Remington does not have a ticket to the race much less a place on the track.

Even at full retail Remington is not even close to Barrett in quality or accuracy.

As I said earlier in the thread, the Barrett is a phenomenal rifle. You won’t see more at that price. That was a personal rifle of mine I’d put back on the shelf. I have a plethora of lightweight rifles and that one just didn’t turn me on any longer. I also have 9 other 7mm-08’s.

And the quality of this Remington rifle far surpasses what I’ve seen from them in a while. I think this specific run (2000 or so rifles?) is a big step above their typical production rifle. Fit and finish are superb. I hadn’t shot it much, but so far I hadn’t seen any reason to believe many others will trump it straight out of the box. Random ammo, random scope, 1/2” group. I’ve been through hundreds of rifles and very few have done that. I hadn’t measured the throat and I know it doesn’t have a 3” mag box, but I’d bet you it will shoot as well as any hunting rifle at a similar price point. I also know Ruger American’s and Tikka’s commonly do the same thing for less money.

This Remington is worthy of a look to those interested in something different. Look one over the next time you’re out shopping. You’ll see why I’m saying the quality is a step above what we’ve seen from Remington in a while.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Savage 99 250-3000.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Thanks for the pics and short review SAS, These are obviously nicer than the standard SPS type rifles offered, as are the Gen 2 5R and other “high end” 700 models.

I don’t get why some of you are crapping on them preemptively, especially when you’re not even discussing the correct model...SAS is telling you they’re nice and this one obviously shoots pretty well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm still hoping/waiting for the RARs in 17HM2 to arrive in Owensboro, so that you can send one, maybe two, on to me in Omaha.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by viking
Savage 99 250-3000.

Funny you mention that. That’s the one rifle I’d like to own, but don’t.

I did order some of these for the shop though.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=125th

I’m keeping one in 250 “just because”.

While I’m on Savage rifles, we sell a ton. I’m not a Savage guy either. Consumers continue to suck them up. We go through a bunch of 110 Storms, several of the cheap Axis models as well.

The 110 Storm has some unique features. The mag box is almost 3”. Three position tang safety. Modular stock system. Although I don’t care for the accutrigger, it does adjust nicely and break clean. Most are extremely accurate. Their gas system is really good. They offer tons of left hand models. Maybe that’s why they sell? I just never really give them a second look. I think it’s because it says “Savage”. Kinda like Bear bows. Both of their names were synonymous with cheap, KMart products in my youth.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak
Thanks for the pics and short review SAS, These are obviously nicer than the standard SPS type rifles offered, as are the Gen 2 5R and other “high end” 700 models.

I don’t get why some of you are crapping on them preemptively, especially when you’re not even discussing the correct model...SAS is telling you they’re nice and this one obviously shoots pretty well.

I wonder what small dealer wholesale price is for them? Big dealer wholesale must be pretty low if they are showing up on GB with starting bids at about 2/3 of what Darrik is asking.

I'm skeptical of production rifles that claim custom rifle specs and are being offered for less than the price of a true custom action. Colt couldn't do it with the CLR when they bought ULA from Mel Forbes and Remington has a well documented history of introducing and then dropping some of their better configurations.

That said, Darrik is a great guy and I believe that he is as honest and sincere a person who posts on this site. He has demonstrated that he is a friend to people who participate on this site by going out of his way to order small lots of rifles in specs that rifle loonies like us call for, the RARs in 22-250 with a 1-8" ROT barrel come to mind and I'm sure that there are other examples of his looking out for us. Who but Darrik would contract with Ruger to make a small run of RARs in 17HM2 when there are probably only a couple thousand fans in the entire U.S.A.?

If only he had some influence with CCI/Hornady to make Eley-grade 17HM2 ammo, then the 17HM2 clan would think that they'd died and gone to squirrel shooting Heaven.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by RDW

I would not be so fast to say that, the few Fieldcrafts I have been around were accurate but I wouldn't call them "tack drivers" and I have had more than a few off the shelf Remington model 700's that were for 1/2 the price of a Fieldcraft 👍.......Hb

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm still hoping/waiting for the RARs in 17HM2 to arrive in Owensboro, so that you can send one, maybe two, on to me in Omaha.

I expect them fairly soon. They keep telling me they’re close. They’ll be listed on here first. And I’ve figured out a way to hold some back in case guys try to suck them up in minutes. I’ll have an item number just for members here.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Somewhere in the sentence you’ll find the answer if you look nine hundred fifty two times. And when you find the answer, you’ll know that’s the cheapest cost from any distributor in the country.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I wonder what small dealer wholesale price is for them? Big dealer wholesale must be pretty low if they are showing up on GB with starting bids at about 2/3 of what Darrik is asking.

I'm skeptical of production rifles that claim custom rifle specs and are being offered for less than the price of a true custom action. Colt couldn't do it with the CLR when they bought ULA from Mel Forbes and Remington has a well documented history of introducing and then dropping some of their better configurations.

That said, Darrik is a great guy and I believe that he is as honest and sincere a person who posts on this site. He has demonstrated that he is a friend to people who participate on this site by going out of his way to order small lots of rifles in specs that rifle loonies like us call for, the RARs in 22-250 with a 1-8" ROT barrel come to mind and I'm sure that there are other examples of his looking out for us. Who but Darrik would contract with Ruger to make a small run of RARs in 17HM2 when there are probably only a couple thousand fans in the entire U.S.A.?

If only he had some influence with CCI/Hornady to make Eley-grade 17HM2 ammo, then the 17HM2 clan would think that they'd died and gone to squirrel shooting Heaven.

I’m not sure on dealer price, but I had been watching these on G.B. for a couple weeks prior to Darrik posting about them here. Most are listed at full MSRP, cheapest ones seem to be selling close to a grand. I bid $750 on one and it ended up selling for about $900

If anyone here wants one, or if I pulled the trigger on one, might as well just buy it from Whittaker’s.

I’m with you on the appreciation for Darrik and Whittaker’s, good people in all my dealings with them

Last edited by Walter_Sobchak; 06/16/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
900 is well below cost.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By like fifty two dollars?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
.......... Three position tang safety. ........

I really like a tang safety. It's always seemed natural to use and still out of the way with a low profile.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
And that wouldn’t have included shipping, and probably CC fees..

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
.... Barrett Fieldcraft ... Personally, I'm just not crazy about the stock ergo's. If that rifle was in the Kimber Montana stock, I'd probably have 4 or 5 of them!

Amen!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
By like fifty two dollars?

😀

And 42cents to be exact.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
.... Barrett Fieldcraft ... Personally, I'm just not crazy about the stock ergo's. If that rifle was in the Kimber Montana stock, I'd probably have 4 or 5 of them!

Amen!

+2

IMO, the Montana stock with the somewhat closed grip of the FC would be Nirvana...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly

My bad, I thought that was the Model Seven with the H-S stock, but I see that it is a 700 with a B&C stock. Remington lists it an the 700 NRA American Hunter with a MSRP of $1,349.

Remington claims the following specs:

20" fluted barrel with 5R rifling and threaded muzzle
Improved barrel surface finish in the bore
Overall Length of 39 3/8"
Twist Rate: 1:8
Mag Capacity: 4+1
Remington receiver and barrel with custom level blueprint machining and tolerances
Durable black Cerakote finish on barreled action
Premium Bell & Carlson stock with aluminum bedding block
Upgraded Leupold Mark 4 scope bases with 8-40 screws
Distinctively engraved floorplateb
Unique serial number dedicated to this limited edition offering
Enhanced and externally adjustable X Mark Pro trigger

Call me skeptical, but I wonder if a production rifle can really have custom level blueprint machining and tolerance. People pay $1,349 or more for 700 action clones that really are custom level, but Remington claims that they can do the whole package for less that the $979 that Whittaker's is selling them for and still make a profit doing so?

Probably.
A custom action uses the same amount of material, incon$iquential.
And the same machining.
But to tight standards.
R has been improving quality, if the set tolerances tight enough, it would work.

I have read reports from several Smith's who have worked on Tikka's,
They say the actions are right on, nothing needed.
If Sako can do it, Remington could. Will they.
Sell the stock from a T3x, buy a B&C.
Your under Remingtons price.

Yes, it's defiantly possible.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Defiantly is definitely the way to approach this quandary.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Threw on an AAC suppressor and slung some 143 ELD-X’s. POI shift, but accuracy is still there around 1/2”ish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Defiantly is definitely the way to approach this quandary.

I need to better edit my spell check.
Its supposed to help me,
and I need the help. mad

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That’s a pretty slick rig.... kinda like a CTR, but set-up more like a “hunting” rifle.

I’m curious what those 130 Sierra factory loads clocked out of the 20” pipe.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya'll spend your money on whatever you please, but Whittaker's is where I will send mine but it won't be for a Remington over a Barrett.

Dave

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The item description for these on remingtons website says the trigger is factory tuned to 3.5#. Do you buy that SAS, and would you say these “need” a Timney or triggertech like most other 700s ?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Thread not to long ago here, folks biitching about that rifle, damn nice, well thought out ... what are you guys selling em for?

Come on now it’s 24hour most here would bitch about free beer..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Darrik, what does that rifle weigh bare? Rem doesn’t list any weights for it. Looks like a similar rifle to the old LVSF with a different shaped stock and a bit shorter barrel.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Darrik, what does that rifle weigh bare? Rem doesn’t list any weights for it. Looks like a similar rifle to the old LVSF with a different shaped stock and a bit shorter barrel.

Remington's website says 6.75

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig

Remington's website says 6.75

Yep. The L/R arrows to scroll through the specs aren't very intuitive so rifle weights aren't present at first blush unless you go digging.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That’s a nice bare bones weight.

Any reasonable hunting scope and rings and rounds will keep you under 9. And that’s probably about right for most any guns that aren’t being totted up the steep stuff.

Flute the bolt, ditch the pic bases for Talleys, drop it in an Edge, and you could start approaching 8lb all up if done right.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by viking
Savage 99 250-3000.

Funny you mention that. That’s the one rifle I’d like to own, but don’t.

I did order some of these for the shop though.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=125th

I’m keeping one in 250 “just because”.

While I’m on Savage rifles, we sell a ton. I’m not a Savage guy either. Consumers continue to suck them up. We go through a bunch of 110 Storms, several of the cheap Axis models as well.

The 110 Storm has some unique features. The mag box is almost 3”. Three position tang safety. Modular stock system. Although I don’t care for the accutrigger, it does adjust nicely and break clean. Most are extremely accurate. Their gas system is really good. They offer tons of left hand models. Maybe that’s why they sell? I just never really give them a second look. I think it’s because it says “Savage”. Kinda like Bear bows. Both of their names were synonymous with cheap, KMart products in my youth.

i wouldnt mind one of those in 250 savage to go with ... well ... all my other 250 savages

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Build it in stainless steel, ditch the NRA reference, and offer it for the same price, and it would be worth buying. Otherwise, might as well build.

Agreed on the Fieldcraft. The stock design sucks.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by prm

Amen!

+2

IMO, the Montana stock with the somewhat closed grip of the FC would be Nirvana...

Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Agreed on the Fieldcraft. The stock design sucks.

If any of you had a more well designed face you'd like the FC better. You all have poor facial structures....no matter what your mamma's told you. ...grin...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What's wrong with the FC ergos? Curious.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The quality of the stock is great. It just doesn’t fit me right. I think it’s the angle of my wrist/diameter of the grip/LOP when I’m shouldering the rifle. I can live with it, don’t hate it, just don’t love it.

I never really liked Melvin's stock either though.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The item description for these on remingtons website says the trigger is factory tuned to 3.5#. Do you buy that SAS, and would you say these “need” a Timney or triggertech like most other 700s ?

I’ll put it on a gauge later. If it’s not 3.5# on the money, it’s close. It doesn’t need a Timney or Trigger Tech, but either would always be an improvement.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by RDW
Ya'll spend your money on whatever you please, but Whittaker's is where I will send mine but it won't be for a Remington over a Barrett.

One is filet, one is hamburger. This is my experience with those brands.

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 06/17/19.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The quality of the stock is great. It just doesn’t fit me right. I think it’s the angle of my wrist/diameter of the grip/LOP when I’m shouldering the rifle. I can live with it, don’t hate it, just don’t love it.

Well said, and I completely agree. Also, the comb isn't high enough for the available scope mounts.

Funny thing is I spec a 13 3/4" LOP when I custom order a stock for myself, so the Barrett ought to fit in the LOP department....but somehow it still feels long.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

That is my opinion also. Melvin's stocks do not fit me, and neither do the Fieldcrafts.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
the perfect rifle for whitetail deer seems to vary from place to place. Where I do most of my hunting, deep in a north Florida swamp, or along a forest stream, I don't get many shots longer than 50 yards. The rifle that has done the best for me is a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum. I have a Nikon African 1-4X scope on it, with a German #4 reticle.
For the past two years, I have supplemented the lever carbine with a Ruger Ranch bolt rifle in 7.62x39. This one might wind up replacing the Marlin for being just what I need.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 06/20/19.

Sam......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The perfect deer rifle? Interesting topic and my choice might be one I never used yet. That rifle is a left hand Ruger Hawkeye in 300 RCM. Ruger designed the stock with a slightly shorter LOP, 20 inch barrel complete with factory irons, and the normal built in scope base and free rings. All for $500 on sale when CDNN was clearing them out.
The shorter stock permits the rifle to be shouldered faster, especially with a hunting coat on. It should shoot any bullet weight the 06 can at a slightly faster velocity. Overkill for the whitetails of the size we hunt at the distances we normally shoot. But we never know when a big piggy might show itself.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
the perfect rifle for whitetail deer seems to vary from place to place. Where I do most of my hunting, deep in a north Florida swamp, or along a forest stream, I don't get many shorts longer than 50 yards. The rifle that has done the best for me is a Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum. I have a Nikon African 1-4X scope on it, with a German #4 reticle.
For the past two years, I have supplemented the lever carbine with a Ruger Ranch bolt rifle in 7.62x39. This one might wind up replacing the Marlin for being just what I need.

A 44 mag long gun works well in mid TN too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
94 30-30 PERFECT!

Last edited by Rug3; 06/20/19.

BE STRONG IN THE LORD, AND IN HIS MIGHTY POWER. ~ Ephesians 6:10

Socialism is a philosophy of failure,
the creed of ignorance,
and the gospel of envy,
its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
--Winston Churchill

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My go to rifle is a 30-06 Fieldcraft with a 3.5-10X40 Leupold VX3, or a SS Tikka 243 with 3-9X40 VX1, or a SS Tikka 30-06 with 3-9X40 VX1, or a Remington AWR 30-06 with a 3.5-10X40 VX3, or a Weatherby Vangaurd with a 3-9X40 VX2, or a Savage Weather Warrior 30-06 with a 3.5-40 VX3, or a Semi Custom Remington 700 300 SAUM with a 3.5-10X40 CDS VX3, or a Sendero 300SAUM with a 4.5-14X40 CDS VX3. etc etc I choose my rifle based on where I am hunting at the time and I have a hard time choosing! LOL I have a problem. Seems like I wind up carrying the Savage more than anything though. Just a good utilitarian rifle that I am not so worried about damage or weather.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’d be much more interested if they had made it in stainless underneath that cerakote.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Savage 99. 358 Winchester

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 06/21/19.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O

Put me at +3 or +4. The FC stock feels like a warmed over Forbes stock. Feels like a square piece of wood with rounded off corners.

For me, best ever factory stock is the Kimber Ascent. At one point in time, I was trying to buy an extra Kimber Ascent stock to fit to a Left Hand Forbes rifle. Never could find a spare Ascent stock, so sold the LH Forbes rifle and the RH Ascent.

ETA: Even tho I am thinning the herd, if Kimber ever offered a LH Ascent in .243Win, 6.5CM, 6.5x55, or .270Win, I would buy one sight unseen.

Last edited by Orion2000; 06/22/19.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Dad (lastround) traded in a couple rifles for a Barrett Fieldcraft today. He got the special edition with the #2 contour, green stock and black cerakote. He bought the 6.5 Creedmoor. I bet it the all up weight isn’t 7 pounds. It shoots exceptionally well - we had to try it out!

It could possibly be the more perfecter combo. Barrett quality and consistency still amazes me. Like I said earlier in the thread, I believe they’re the highest quality production (actually semi custom) rifle on the market today.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dad (lastround) traded in a couple rifles for a Barrett Fieldcraft today. He got the special edition with the #2 contour, green stock and black cerakote. He bought the 6.5 Creedmoor. I bet it the all up weight isn’t 7 pounds. It shoots exceptionally well - we had to try it out!

It could possibly be the more perfecter combo. Barrett quality and consistency still amazes me. Like I said earlier in the thread, I believe they’re the highest quality production (actually semi custom) rifle on the market today.

I recently bought the Lipsey’s Special run Barrett FC 6.5CM w/ 24” no.2 bbl. (the exact one I lobbied for, Whittaker’s proposed, and Barrett rejected). It’s a fine little rifle that groups 140 NAB’s into .6” groups. I just wish Whittaker’s had gotten my $...

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Did he get the 22" threaded or 24" non-threaded with green stock?

The 22" #2 is my cup of tea. All that and a box of chocolates. They should be marketed as an anti-depressant......5 shots, go look at the target and just smile.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

But, but, but..... Doug, shooting a Creedmoor? 😜

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Yep...and he likes it!

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

The 22" #2 is my cup of tea. All that and a box of chocolates. They should be marketed as an anti-depressant......5 shots, go look at the target and just smile.

24” non threaded. We just shot some factory ammo. Pretty impressive.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Brad

I recently bought the Lipsey’s Special run Barrett FC 6.5CM w/ 24” no.2 bbl. (the exact one I lobbied for, Whittaker’s proposed, and Barrett rejected). It’s a fine little rifle that groups 140 NAB’s into .6” groups. I just wish Whittaker’s had gotten my $...

[Linked Image]

Brad,

That’s the same rifle dad has, but has the green stock and black cerakote. I can’t remember where I got them, but I think it was a buy group deal. Little better direct pricing than that model and I thought they’d move a little better in the unique configuration.

The deal I was trying to get worked out had a cut rifle barrel. And I’ll still take your money any time you want to send it 😀😀

Last edited by shortactionsmoker; 06/27/19.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Threw on an AAC suppressor and slung some 143 ELD-X’s. POI shift, but accuracy is still there around 1/2”ish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Damn Remington Outdoors Co, formally Freedom Group... BTW, how many weeks did it take to get that rifle zeroed?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

24” non threaded. We just shot some factory ammo. Pretty impressive.

Sweet. I hope he enjoy's the heck out of it.

I agree on the FC's rifles rating up there at the top of the quality heap. Another I'd put in that category is the Seekins PH1. Neither of those makers are low cost, but I think you get your $'s worth and more from them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That’s the same rifle dad has, but has the green stock and black cerakote. I can’t remember where I got them, but I think it was a buy group deal. Little better direct pricing than that model and I thought they’d move a little better in the unique configuration.

The deal I was trying to get worked out had a cut rifle barrel. And I’ll still take your money any time you want to send it 😀😀

Ahh, I'd forgotten you wanted a cut barrel. I'm not a Ceracote guy, so I opted for the Lipsey's model from our own warpig602 who was a real pleasure to deal with.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

[Linked Image]

Brad be pimpin' da bling with the silver TLW's......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Marty,
I think I have drank the Coolaid! I’m still a large fan of the 7mm-08, but this Barrett in 6.5 CM is sweet! Darrik and I took it down to the range with some factory ammo (143 gr. ELDX and 130 gr. Tipped Gamekings) and after getting on paper, it immediately put both bullets into less than an inch with both of us shooting. I’m impressed! I can’t wait to see what I can get handloads to do.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

As an aside, I usually shoot 3-shot groups from the bench, but this rifle was shooting so well I had to try a 5-shot. It put all five in a nice cluster measuring slightly less than an inch with the Sierra 130 gr. Tipped Gameking factory load. Like I said, I’m impressed!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

My perfect whitetail combo for the last 37 years has been a first year (1981) Remington 700 Classic, 270 Win. topped with a Leupold M8 4X. More often than not shooting 130 gr. Partitions, but have used factory ammo. Shoot bucks just behind the front shoulder in the ribs, lots of them went right down and an equal mount have embarked on the 50 yard death run. I’m proud to say I’ve never lost a buck that I’ve hit.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Poconojack

My perfect whitetail combo for the last 37 years has been a first year (1981) Remington 700 Classic, 270 Win. topped with a Leupold M8 4X. More often than not shooting 130 gr. Partitions, but have used factory ammo. Shoot bucks just behind the front shoulder in the ribs, lots of them went right down and an equal mount have embarked on the 50 yard death run. I’m proud to say I’ve never lost a buck that I’ve hit.

A very practical combination I'd say.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just take a 3006 in almost any combo and your set !! 2cent worth.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hopefully, this is the start of Remington doing things "right" in building their rifles again.

It is a very nice package, that's for sure.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by domit
just take a 3006 in almost any combo and your set !! 2cent worth.

For whitetail only... why?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
never been a deer made that a 3006 can't do in ! the title said deer.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

What scope?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Agreed, but it's a LOT of cartridge. I've found it absolutely ideal for elk. Perhaps, the "ideal" elk cartridge.

But for diminutive WT deer, there are many lighter recoiling rounds that are more fun to use... no?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hard to argue with a light kicking 7-08 or 6.5 Creed IMO. I'm not into lightweights, so something like the OP showed would be great. A 7mm08/120 BT combo is a deer killing machine.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I was thinking it might be as well but when I looked up the specs the barrel material is listed as carbon steel:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-nra-american-hunter

Carbon steel got the job done until the 1970’s

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by Reloder28

3 of the 5 best shooting rifles I have are carbon steel. they are Remington factory barrels too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used Talley LW’s to mount a Leupold VX 3i 3.5-10x40 with B&C reticle.

Doug
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by jeeper

Originally Posted by Reloder28

3 of the 5 best shooting rifles I have are carbon steel. they are Remington factory barrels too.

Yes, they'll shoot and are plenty functional...but...if weather resistance is a concern, there's no way around the fact that stainless is more resistant to rust.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

[Linked Image]

That fence post pic is great Brad. Absolutely beautiful country there.

Last edited by Copenhagen; 07/01/19.

Cope
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Never been a deer made that a 243 Win can't do in either.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I couldn' resist the Weatherby Vanguard 2, MOA select, for $249. Last Summer Walmart clearance. The fancy walnut version was $349..... 3006.... Sighted in with junky Red Head scope, under 10 rounds.... 2 stage trigger is excellent, as is 3 stage safety, nice upgrades to the original Vanguards. The barrelled action of course is a Howa 1500. The Weatherby stock, and assembly in US is fine, with fit and finish great. Palm swell, just feels like a great mountain rifle. I am reluctant
to change out the scope, as it shoots so well. 1 shot buck kill, on spot last season...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
527 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,550 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.