Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Any one have pics of their new or old hunting camps? My parents bought this property around 1970 for $215 an acre. I'll never sell it. They put a 42' house trailer on it, and it held up till about 10 years ago. We have electric and that's all. Fridge always has bottled water, a few soda's and lots of good beer. We usually have 4 guys for deer camp, and it gets real tight. 8or9 years ago we took out the big double window in the back and built an 8X12 room, we call the WV room. It made the trailer a lot more comfortable space wise, but it was still rusting away. Termites got in the wood frame and 20' of wall started to pull away from the floor, you could see daylight out the crack. We screwed a 2X4 to the floor, and ran 3" deck screws through the wall to keep it from falling off. We bring all of our cooking and bathing water with us. Two years ago I shot a deer and butchered it the same afternoon. Our county has had a couple cases of CWD, so we can't transport the whole carcass home. I heated up a big tub of water and washed up pretty good. That night, while sleeping, I felt something move on my thumb, flicked my hand, thinking it was a bug. Then I felt it again and flicked my hand, still half asleep. Then it bit me, slapped it and a mouse flew across the room and hit the wall, then scampered off. When I looked at my thumb, there were faint traces of deer blood in my finger print, that's what the mouse was after. Never went back to sleep. The next day put out mouse traps. My buddy Mike showed up, he'd been up all night travelling. About 4 it started getting dark, we were waiting for 99guy to show up at 7 for dinner, and Mike said he was going to take a nap. I'd been up since the mouse bit me, so I said yeah, me too, Randy will wake us up when he gets here. Before I turned out the lights I moved a trap over by the base of the fridge. Within one minute of turning out the lights, Mickey F'ed up, WHAP. Took Mickey out and threw him on the campfire, moved another trap over in the same place, turned the lights out and WHAP, there went Minney. I think we got 7 mice in two days. That was when I told my wife that we were building a new cabin come hell or high water. Just on a whim I road into Moorefield to check out the sheds they made. There was a 12'X40' garage package sitting there that had been reppoped. I got it for 10% off, $7200 dollars. It took about 3 months to get the drive cleared, about a mile of trees that had to be cut back from 8' wide to 14' wide, getting a contractor to grade the pad, then another to bring the stone in. Finally, yesterday, they delivered the new garage/bunk house.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by JoeMartin; 06/15/19.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WOW ! that's gonna be nice

Plab

Gotta love them 303's
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That look Sweet Joe! your old trailer sounds like the one we had years ago it was 1956 Great Lakes ! Kerosene, heat gas light, carried our water in and washed at a small river. out house to top it off, those were some of the best falls in my Life!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hunting camp is home here

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice.

One of my cousins bought 80 acres of a larger farm in the next township. The house and barn got hit by lighting and burned to the ground back in the 1970s. All that is left is a well and a silo. He wanted to move in a building similar to yours for a hunting camp. He checked with the local zoning department first and they said no. So he said he would buy a camping trailer and put it there, he could not do that either. He could not even move in a trailer home. He could only put on a building with minimum of 800 sq. ft..

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting camp.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joe:

I'm glad you got the one with the over head door so I will have a place to park my truck

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joe:

is that a brand new shooting bench I see?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Very nice!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is going to make a nice one, Joe.

Here are pics of the deer camps on both sides of the family. Pics 1-3 are at the wife’s side; 4-6 are on my side. On the second set, the front entrance has a mud room for taking off and hanging clothes and gear with a 2nd door inside to the main area.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by roundoak
Nice.

One of my cousins bought 80 acres of a larger farm in the next township. The house and barn got hit by lighting and burned to the ground back in the 1970s. All that is left is a well and a silo. He wanted to move in a building similar to yours for a hunting camp. He checked with the local zoning department first and they said no. So he said he would buy a camping trailer and put it there, he could not do that either. He could not even move in a trailer home. He could only put on a building with minimum of 800 sq. ft..

Should have turned the Silo into a multi story Hunting Hut who would know

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 99guy
Joe:

is that a brand new shooting bench I see?

Yep, Johns son and his buddies made it. Donated the old one to the campfire. I plan on putting an interior wall about 8 feet in from the roll up because it leaks a lot of air, that will be the mud room, hang a gimble from the roof and be a skinning room. Since we have to butcher everything first, because of CWD, we can do it in light with heat.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We lived in ours in the warmer months for quite a few years. Now it's for sale, time to downsize.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I put a 12'x16' shed up on my little bit of heaven last year, just to have a place to get out of the sun or away from the snow. Probably will set up a cot in there quite a few times. Plenty of room.

I like yours. Very nice.

Couple pics of mine, critters don't seem to object to it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Need to plant some gooseberry bushes around it. You have gooseberries up there? Good color.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Great Escape! Everyone should have one.

Humble beginnings...
[Linked Image]

Travel trailer w/porch update...
[Linked Image]

Nirvana...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking for a camp now in the UP of Mich.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
southern savage when can I move in I love the looks of that cabin grin

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rick99
Need to plant some gooseberry bushes around it. You have gooseberries up there? Good color.

I've seen Gooseberries a couple times, but never in WV. I can't remember where I saw them. Might have been cultivated plants.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Originally Posted by Rick99

I've seen Gooseberries a couple times, but never in WV. I can't remember where I saw them. Might have been cultivated plants.

Last edited by JoeMartin; 06/16/19.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 1,215 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.