Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#13901423 06/15/19
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hoping someone out there may have chronographed some Remington factory loads out of an 8 mm Remington Magnum and will share your findings.
My partner on an upcoming moose hunt is planning on using one of these, so I'm curious.
I also don't view myself as man enough to shoot a Big 8 myself. 300 Savage is more my speed lately, and I'm thinking of adding a fat recoil pad to that.
Thanks for any insight you might provide!

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
BP-B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Getting chronographed numbers from someone else’s rifle will not reflect the velocity your friends rifle might get with the same loads. I’ve seen 200 FPS difference between 2 rifles on the same day with the same Ammo.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8 Rem Mag is a beautiful choice for Moose regardless of what the Chrony results are. But I do know the Remington 185 load has a reputation for not being tough enough for the velocities it runs. The heavier Core-Lokt load was always a good one though.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

Getting chronographed numbers from someone else’s rifle will not reflect the velocity your friends rifle might get with the same loads. I’ve seen 200 FPS difference between 2 rifles on the same day with the same Ammo.

jwp475,
Thanks for comments. I believe any actual data is preferable, as over time, it might indicate a constant. For example, I have used Whelens for over 30 years, occasionally "chronoing" factory ammo as a kind of bench mark. Remington factory stuff has been consistently slow, but very accurate. I have used the same box, and newer stuff, for this over 15 years, as another interesting check on my chrono and the ammo. Three different Whelen have been used over this period. The newer Fed Premium stuff is somewhat more aggressive.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by moosemike
8 Rem Mag is a beautiful choice for Moose regardless of what the Chrony results are. But I do know the Remington 185 load has a reputation for not being tough enough for the velocities it runs. The heavier Core-Lokt load was always a good one though.

Moosemike,
Thanks for comment.
We have had a closet fascination with the Big 8 since it was introduced, so now closing the loop on a pretty one that came out of Remingtons custom shop. I was curious about the 185s. Happily, my bro has accumulated several boxes of the 220 gr Core Lokts. Seem like they should be smashers.
Overkill is just right.
We have a late season moose tag for Maine, which might bring the opportunity for a longer range shot than might be likely, earlier in the fall. The Big 8 seems like a fine recipe.
I plan on enjoying watching others fire this rifle as my shoulder is not as forgiving of abuse as it once was.
I have a couple of grandsons and nephews that think a real loud bang and a hard push, is big fun. The big 8 ought to get their attention.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
fish

IF my pard who bought my 8 mag new ever had OR ever chronoed any Factory ammo--- I don't know.

I bought the gun from him in the 90s and I never bought OR chronoed any factory ammo.

You are correct about Rem factory ammo's rep for being slow. I don't recall EVER graphing ANY Rem ammo that was correct and
especially NOT faster than advertised.

Wish I could be of some help but I don't have that info.

Good Luck

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Just P.M. Mule Deer bet he has an answer for you

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Didn't try to find it but Craig Boddington was one of the few writers that championed the 8mm RM. He reviewed the rifle and cartridge in 1978 for guns & ammo I believe and chronoed factory and some handloads then. He had a heavy rifle built by I believe Prairie Gun works with a 28" barrel if memory serves. He was trying to get the 200 & 220s over 3,000 fps which his handloads did in that rifle.

I wouldn't be too concerned on the velocity of factory loads as it won't be lacking even if under advertised specifications. The Heavier core lokt is a good bullet but I would consider something even stouter if possible. I always wanted to try the 250 Woodleigh in the big 8. This would turn it into a sort of modern 318 Westly Richards and should be good for anything short of Tyranosaurs.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I’d load up 185 TTSX and not worry about someone else’s velocity.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Tejano
Didn't try to find it but Craig Boddington was one of the few writers that championed the 8mm RM. He reviewed the rifle and cartridge in 1978 for guns & ammo I believe and chronoed factory and some handloads then. He had a heavy rifle built by I believe Prairie Gun works with a 28" barrel if memory serves. He was trying to get the 200 & 220s over 3,000 fps which his handloads did in that rifle.

Well I do have this info:

[Linked Image]

Sept. '77, JRS did the intro for Shooting Times.

> 24" barrell < Rem 700 BDL

Rem Factory 220, AVG. 2845 fps

He worked up slowly to

* 78 1/2 grs IMR4831, = 2940 AVG.

2 FIVE shot groups, 1 1/4" and 1 3/8"

The 200 NP was not on the market at the time.

I use IMR 4831 and the 200 NP for @ 3100 fps. I've shot this load more than any other. I have good case life and accuracy 1" - 1 1/2"

Maybe that'll help.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It has been years, but, IIRC the factory Remington 220 grain CoreLocts went about 2800-ish out of my 24 inch Classic. That load has been discontinued for decades though.

I was able to get 220 grain Barnes Xs up to about 2900 with H4831.

If I was doing it now I would bank heavily on 200 grain TSXs over about all the H1000 I could get in the case.

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't worry about the velocity. There is no substitute for shooting it at extended ranges. If you will be hunting at significantly different elevation, have him shoot it at distance when you get there as well.
PS I'm a big fan of the 8mm mag. I've taken black bears, whitetails and a big Utah 6x6 bull elk at 450 yards. I shot out to 600 in Utah prior to the hunt and had to take off a couple of clicks across the board from my Missouri drops.
Enjoy your moose hunt!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have a custom 8 Mag on a Sako AIII action and a 26" Pacnor barrel.It shoots 200 grain Accubond bullets close to 3100FPS into sub inch 5 shot groups.I was able to get close to 3200FPS but was shooting a pattern ,not a group then.I would think the Accubond or 200 grain Partition would be the shiz on moose.

Last edited by Huntz; 06/16/19.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've always wanted one of these - the first gun magazine that I bought in the early 80s (late 70s?) had an article about this newcomer. I have a 325WSM, so almost there now.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I recall, God himself (in the fourth person) greeted its birth with "What's it good for?" Not my opinion, just offering historical perspective.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
As I recall, God himself (in the fourth person) greeted its birth with "What's it good for?" Not my opinion, just offering historical perspective.

It was reported that this was Elmer Keith's response when introduced to it at a Remington shindig. I've always been a JOC guy, generally discounting Elmer. 50 years later, still the same.
I supppse you're making a point, but I.m not getting it.....
In my case, well, its a damn handsome rifle.
Got a late season moose hunt on the schedule for this fall.
What sane person would question the lethality of a ~200 grain Partition launched at ~3,000fps? I'm thinking its good for anything in NA and most of Africa. I think the same of a 308.
Did I mention it was pretty?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The Rem,8MM mag gets a bad shake from a lot of writers who want to compare it to a 340 Weatherby or a 338 Win. Mag.The true comparison is to a 300 Weatherby Mag.Do the comparison and see how the 8 Mag shines.JMHO,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwp475

I’d load up 185 TTSX and not worry about someone else’s velocity.

jwp, That is a real interesting idea, I've had a little hunting experience with monos in my 270s, and have liked everything I've seen. A 185 out of a Big 8 ought to have a darn interesting trajectory, important to me as I am a lousy judge of distance past 100-150 yards. This is the results of a kid that grew up with 22's and shotgun slugs.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I always wanted one, would load the 185 TTSX for it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fishdog52
Originally Posted by 5sdad

It was reported that this was Elmer Keith's response when introduced to it at a Remington shindig. I've always been a JOC guy, generally discounting Elmer. 50 years later, still the same.
I supppse you're making a point, but I.m not getting it.....
In my case, well, its a damn handsome rifle.
Got a late season moose hunt on the schedule for this fall.
What sane person would question the lethality of a ~200 grain Partition launched at ~3,000fps? I'm thinking its good for anything in NA and most of Africa. I think the same of a 308.
Did I mention it was pretty?

Your first sentence indicates that you did, indeed, get the point that I was making (not about the 8mm Magnum).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
248 members (1Longbow, 12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 27 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,800
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.