Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Each to their own, but Whataburger has great burgers and shakes IMHO.

I'm sure the bean counters will fug it up now though.

It used to be really good. Years ago. then we finally got one in La Grange. It was ok, but the service has always been mediocre. Odds of getting what you ordered were 50/50. Quality of burgers has gone way down IMHO.

OTOH they are still above most of the other quick chains though in Texas Sonic and DQ nowadays have better burgers locally,. And it can vary from one to the next

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like Whataburger, but seldom eat there anymore. For one thing, the closest one I know of is Tulsa, about 150 miles away. When I travel that far, I'm generally eating someplace more upscale.

To be honest, Whataburger shines when compared to other big chains. I just ate a 3/4 lb. burger from down the road 4 miles at a local greasy joint. Much better than any Whataburger. In my county and the county 5 miles over, I can name 4 joints off the top of my head, that are better than Whataburger and in the same price range.

As to Sonic, they're okay when they're on, which is seldom. I wouldn't eat a burger at DQ. They taste like soy burgers to me. A lot of oldsters love their steak fingers.

Wendy's used to be my go-to, but they've really went down hill. Jack in the Box used to be pretty good too, but they seem to have went downhill.

Every town of about 8000 or more around here used to have a Long John Silver's and KFC as alternatives to burgers. Most of them have went out, for some reason. In fact we just ate at Coffeyville's the other day. The next day they posted on Facebook that they were closing in a few days and even the employees hadn't known about it. LJS has some decent chicken.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I like Whataburger, but seldom eat there anymore. For one thing, the closest one I know of is Tulsa, about 150 miles away. When I travel that far, I'm generally eating someplace more upscale.

To be honest, Whataburger shines when compared to other big chains. I just ate a 3/4 lb. burger from down the road 4 miles at a local greasy joint. Much better than any Whataburger. In my county and the county 5 miles over, I can name 4 joints off the top of my head, that are better than Whataburger and in the same price range.

As to Sonic, they're okay when they're on, which is seldom. I wouldn't eat a burger at DQ. They taste like soy burgers to me. A lot of oldsters love their steak fingers.

DQ is not bad. Not great but OK. Sonic’s here in TX are usually OK. Nothing to write home about, but they’re usually consistent.
I ate at a DQ in Oklahoma not long ago, and it was not near as good as the TX DQ’s for some reason. Same thing with the New Mexico DQ’s. Weird.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
In and Out is tops.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The In and Out burger I tried sucked. Nasty schitt. 🤮

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
whataburger is always a must stop when I go to texas. for some reason the ketchup is extra good. This could be both good and bad for whataburger. it really depends on what the buying company wants to do, which may be very different than what they are saying. We have seen this countless times with these buy outs. The buying company figures out a way to show better profits initially, they then go convince a big bank to loan then a bunch of money in the name of the company they just bought. Instead of using it for the company they pay themselves back for the purchase price of the company they just bought. then they proceed to vampire out all the cash take our more debt if they can from the company before they peddle whats left off to another company looking to pick up the scraps.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Guess none of you read the article. No changes planned for the food, menu, nor customer focus.
Yeah, they said that about Remington too.
And New Holland took over Ford tractors which was a very good tractor and turned it into crap with all their "improvements"

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
JJ Watt calls on fans to ‘chip in and buy’ Whataburger :

https://www.foxbusiness.com/feature...s-majority-stake-is-sold-to-chicago-firm

Saw that!

I agree! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
M16 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Whataburger Is mediocre at best. Texas Burger kicks their azz. Fuqh JJ Watt. Attention whore.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Time will tell if the rush to grow and maximize profit compromises their standards.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

DQ is not bad. Not great but OK. Sonic’s here in TX are usually OK. Nothing to write home about, but they’re usually consistent.
I ate at a DQ in Oklahoma not long ago, and it was not near as good as the TX DQ’s for some reason. Same thing with the New Mexico DQ’s. Weird.
Maybe they get worse as you go north. The ice cream varies. The one 15 miles away is inferior to the ones 25 and 30 miles away from here. The burgers are universally bad. Sonic's vary also. The burgers are universally mediocre but edible. Other stuff varies as does service. A&W is a chain that has waned. There is still one fifteen miles over and the service is excellent. The food is mediocre. Whataburger gets a lot of mileage out of being local in Texas. Sonic originated in OKC, but you don't hear a lot about it. Sonic was a lot better in the old days.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Didn’t know Sonic originated in OK City. We started seeing them here in TX around 40 years ago. We got one here when I was a sophomore in High School in 1975

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn’t know Sonic originated in OK City. We started seeing them here in TX around 40 years ago. We got one here when I was a sophomore in High School in 1975
The one closest to here probably started a few years before that. I'm thinking, late sixties. Anyway I think Sonic started there.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Drive-In

Headquartered in OKC. Started in Seminole, OK, which is just southeast of there.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My supervisor at work will be crushed if they change the menu. Old dude is a fast food junky.

I’m neither here nor there on them, patty melt is okay. Fug Sonic for anything but a limeade, have one half a mile from the house and I bet I don’t go more than once a year. In-n-out in Vegas was okay ish when I was working out there, hold the weird salad dressing on my burger please.

If I get a hankering for a fast food burger I go to Freddie's. They make them just how I like, meat fried crispy, cheese, pickles, onions, and mustard. Shoestring fries ain’t bad either though I’m not a fry lover.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Mirrors my experience. Whataburger seems to have the best consistency across the board, but I have had a few that were less than their par. Seldom though. I haven't eaten at Braum's in a coon's age but there was one we used to eat at that had good burgers as a kid. That experience is long enough ago, I'd not bet one way or the other now.

If you ever find your way around Tyler, Longview or Marshall, there is a place called Jucys Hamburgers that makes great burgers and complimentary pinto beans while you wait. Other stuff on the menu too.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds good. I’ll have to give it a try next time I head through east TX on I-20

Never ate anything at Braum’s but their Ice Cream.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 06/15/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Mirrors my experience. Whataburger seems to have the best consistency across the board, but I have had a few that were less than their par. Seldom though. I haven't eaten at Braum's in a coon's age but there was one we used to eat at that had good burgers as a kid. That experience is long enough ago, I'd not bet one way or the other now.

If you ever find your way around Tyler, Longview or Marshall, there is a place called Jucys Hamburgers that makes great burgers and complimentary pinto beans while you wait. Other stuff on the menu too.
I've never ate at Jucy's. I've ate at Whataburger, Popeye's and El Chico in Tyler. If I'm in Marshall, I'm eating at Cajuntex.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds good. I’ll have to give it a try next time I head through east TX on I-20

Never ate anything at Braum’s but their Ice Cream.
Braum's burgers are okay. I'd say better than Sonic. They are on the order of Freddies. We had one in the town of 10,000 about 12 miles from where we lived for eleven years. I used to want ice cream at Braum's all the time because I got used to eating there when I lived in Oklahoma and Texas. Coming back to Kansas, they were scarce. Now we've got them all over and I seldom eat at one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by M16
Whataburger Is mediocre at best. Texas Burger kicks their azz. Fuqh JJ Watt. Attention whore.

When you donate as much as the attention whore JJ Watt, to charities like dead firefighter families, a $100k dollars of his own money to kick off Hurricane Harvey emergency relief, and has his own Charity Foundation... You can get back to us on how much of an attention whore he is.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/texans-jj-watt-10g-firefighter-family

Or is Colin Kaepernick more your type of sports hero?

I don't think I'll stand for you trashing one of the guys in professional sports that may actually BE a good guy... And let that pass.

You are welcome to your opinion, but be ready for those that have opposite ones.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,308
Posts18,468,178
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.