Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Any thoughts? My son is wanting one.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Any thoughts? My son is wanting one.

I've had one for many years (seems like about the year 2000 that I got it). I ordered it just about as soon as they came out with them. Only thing I don't like is the mag well, so I removed mine.

It's been 100% reliable. I carried it regularly, IWB for a couple of years. Shot it quite a lot. Well worth the money, in my book. Not quite a semi custom in the class of a Les Baer, but about one step below.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding pistol & as good an off-the-shelf 1911 as there is.

I gave my son one when he finished graduate school & it's very accurate & never a single hiccup.

If you are willing to spend the money, I think you / he will be happy.

If you want to spend a few dollars more, you can also look at Dan Wesson's, also another can't go wrong gun.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This is good to hear. He has been busting his ass working and finished his undergrad degree. He is in the process of applying to med school and wants to treat himself. I am all for it. Thanks. The reviews online mirror your replies. My impression is that although not a custom, it is close.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
This is good to hear. He has been busting his ass working and finished his undergrad degree. He is in the process of applying to med school and wants to treat himself. I am all for it. Thanks. The reviews online mirror your replies. My impression is that although not a custom, it is close.

There's more hands on with the TRP than with their standard line of 1911s. They come tuned, and there's some hand fitting. Not to the extent of a Les Baer, of course.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here's mine. Twenty years old. Carried daily for a couple of years in a leather IWB holster, and you really can't tell. It's that Armory Kote finish they put on them. Very tough.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Here it is wearing real ivory.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. That will do nicely. Was wondering about the finish. That is what he picked.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Another +1 for the TRP. The fit and finish are excellent. You will notice that yourself the first time you work the slide. Keep them well lubed and it will run like a champ.

I have not had mine as long as TRH, but love mine the same way.

Here's mine with a set of Larry Davidson's cocobolo grips and Trijicon HD night sights. I also put in a Wilson Combat GI guide rod and 10-8 Performance smooth concave recoil spring cover.

If the grips looked familiar in this pattern, that's because you probably have seen them on hundreds of Wilson Combats in G10 material. That's called The Starburst pattern. Larry Davidson developed it. He retired, but he passed on his specs to another grip maker. Nice guy. I've talked to him at length. He pays Larry a tribute out of every set of grips that he sells from Larry's old specs.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Va8JM

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Another +1 for the TRP. The fit and finish are excellent. You will notice that yourself the first time you work the slide. Keep them well lubed and it will run like a champ.

I have not had mine as long as TRH, but love mine the same way.

Here's mine with a set of Larry's cocobolo grips and Trijicon HD night sights. I also put in a Wilson Combat GI guide rod and 10-8 Performance smooth concave recoil spring cover.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Va8JM

I forgot about that. I also replaced the full length guide rod with a GI one, and the Springfield Armory mainspring housing unit with one without a key hole.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My son got the TRP a few weeks back. Guys, it is a sweet 1911. We both really like it!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's awesome, Saloluvr. Hope your son enjoys it for many years.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 02bfishn, 67 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,224
Posts18,466,531
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.