Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
My late grandpa's 1918 model I referred to earlier. He shot 87 northern Minnesota whitetails with after buying it used in 1928. He said it was already pretty beat up when he got it, so it looks like he cared for it pretty well after that.
[Linked Image]

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
For me, THE ultimate classic .30-30 is the Winchester Model 64 especially in carbine length. Due, in no small part, that my father and his brother used identical rifles to put literally tons of venison on the table. My carbine below wears a Lyman 56A while my fathers sports a "climbing Lyman" 21.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
Good to see 94s equipped with proper sights. A Receiver sight really helps with the rifle's potential.

I like and use receiver sights as much as any. Currently have two rifles with peeps (SKS and a Lee Enfield 303). Just sold a 20" 760 with a Williams FP.

I have an old Redfield lined up for a Marlin 336. In the meantime while doing some load dev on the 336 I've been using an old Leupold 1-4 in very low rings and am surprised at how well that set-up works and how much I like it. I may leave it as is and use it that way instead.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
I shoot at least one deer a year with mine. It was passed down from my Grandpa.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I gotta say this has turned into one awesome thread. Congrats to all the hunters and they are all wonderful pictures. I’m envious of every one of them!

Thanks for chiming in!

Todd

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Every gun safe should have a 94 inside.
Bob

Takedown 94 with a nice case coloring job:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 06/17/19.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I only have one 30-30. A hippie from out near Chikosna brought it to our homestead and sold it to my father who gave him 250 dollars in 1983. The hippie was planning on going full sourdough but found out it was too tough and needed enough money to get back to Seattle. The hippie had been out there for about four months and hadn't bathed for about two of them and smelled really bad. I think he wanted $100 but my father was fair.
It is a 1893 Marlin with a 28 inch octagon barrel. Its not in perfect shape but it works. I used it on vermin that bothered our livestock from the time I was 14 to 20 because the buckhorn sights work great and it points naturally. It is very accurate with 170 grain bullets. I shot a wolf that was attacking our dog and nailed it leaping in midair at about 15 paces. I shot several owls, coyotes and foxes that tried to kill our chickens.
I took that gun up into the mountains when I would get ticked off at everybody and siwash under spruce trees with just it as a companion. It was one gun that I made sure I got when my father passed on.
I need to get a couple of 94s but just have been waiting for the right opportunity. Ill put a picture of it up tomorrow.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I only have one 30-30. A hippie from out near Chikosna brought it to our homestead and sold it to my father who gave him 250 dollars in 1983. The hippie was planning on going full sourdough but found out it was too tough and needed enough money to get back to Seattle. The hippie had been out there for about four months and hadn't bathed for about two of them and smelled really bad. I think he wanted $100 but my father was fair.
It is a 1893 Marlin with a 28 inch octagon barrel. Its not in perfect shape but it works. I used it on vermin that bothered our livestock from the time I was 14 to 20 because the buckhorn sights work great and it points naturally. It is very accurate with 170 grain bullets. I shot a wolf that was attacking our dog and nailed it leaping in midair at about 15 paces. I shot several owls, coyotes and foxes that tried to kill our chickens.
I took that gun up into the mountains when I would get ticked off at everybody and siwash under spruce trees with just it as a companion. It was one gun that I made sure I got when my father passed on.
I need to get a couple of 94s but just have been waiting for the right opportunity. Ill put a picture of it up tomorrow.

Great story!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, there's workin' guns and then there's the rest, mostly fluff, even if a joy to tote.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm middle of the road most days...

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I also got a Model 94 on my 16th birthday. I also sold it a few years later because I KNEW I needed more range to kill deer... I finally bought another 1942 model several years ago and use it all the time as a truck gun. Killed lots of hogs and a couple of deer with it in the limited amount of time I hunted it. It gets taken on walks several times a week smile

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
My .30-30's are of a different flavor also. Here's one, my favorite. Winchester Model 54.

[Linked Image]

I knew this post was coming, had to get to page #4 to see your Win Model 54......Nice!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
They're all nice, Doc! I love seeing all the .30-30 lever guns that come out into the light of day the second it's mentioned.

One observation: It's neat that people in the 21st century still recognize the grace and utility of a .30-30 lever gun, and that the word ".30-30" still causes immediate visions of Winchester/Marlin leverguns.

My leverguns are all Savages, but I now have the urge to add a M94 to the mix again. I think a vintage M94 .30-30 snuggled up next to the M54 would make a nice couple!

I'm kind of surprised that no one's mentioned the old workhorse Savage M340 bolt gun or the Savage M170 pump gun. Two "hardware store grade" rifles that discerning loonies turn their noses up at, but which had/have a well deserved seat at the .30-30 table also.

.30-30 = versatility IMO. I would be quite happy with nothing but .30-30's in my battery of rifles. Single shots and bolt guns for serious target/bench work (especially with cast bullets), and svelte little lever action carbines for woods loafing. A man could do a lot worse.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Apache think the 94 is an assault rifle I've heard.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Marlin 1893 in .30-30, made at a time when Winchester were still calling the cartridge .30WCF. Marlin marked their rifles .30-30 to avoid referring to the competitor, and the name stuck.

Mine's in Sporting Rifle configuration - 26" half-octagonal barrel, half magazine, pistol grip stock and "shotgun" buttplate. It has been in the family for many years, and it handles really nicely for offhand shots. Accurate too - about 1 1/2" at 100 yards for five shots with its peep sights. I don't take it out often, but it has certainly done the job on the various deer, pigs etc I've shot with it. I should take it out for a walk more often.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I only saw 2 Savage M170s and neither were very accurate. It was hard just to get them zeroed. I did see several M340s as they were so inexpensive back then ( early 60's) None had a scope. Deer were just starting to come back in our area ( SE Texas) in huntable numbers. My first deer hunt I was 11yrs old. 20ga with buckshot, told where to sit and wait for the dogs to run one by me. I loved hearing the dogs race, the whole experience. Didn't kill one though. The next year I had a single shot H&R 30-30 that was one mean kicking little devil! About 4inches at 100 was its best ( or my best!). At 14 my dad bought me a used Mod 1148 12ga from a fellow for $60. OMG did that sucker kick! It was a humdinger for blasting squirrels out of 90ft tall pine tree, but I never got a shot with it. At 15 I had traded for a Universal M1 Carbine. Only ammo I could find was 87gr HP. I worried to death a small yearling buck withit. Finally, when I was 16, my dad "co-signed" for me to buy on time a 20" Octagon barreled "Classic", beautiful wood, with my own money. I then started killing hogs/deer with vengeance! I could head shoot squirrels out to 30yds, could hit a Skoal can lid at 50, sometimes the brass end of a shotgun shell same distance! But out at 100yds, "maybe" 3 inches. At 150 I was a random 24". My fired brass all had a "buldge" on one side, like the chamber was oval. It must have been a "Second" that the hardware store got. Anyhow, my longest shot was right at 90yds on a hog ( I hit him far back in front of the hips/in spine when he was running and finished him off up close with a head shot.) and I never shot a deer past 30yds in those woods! I could have chosen a 26" rifle version they also had there, but figured the carbine would work better for hunting with dogs and in the thickets. We also (my family were all Winchester 94 guys) only used the Remington Corlokt 150 or Winchester 150 Silvertips. It was felt that the 170 didn't open fast enough on those 90 pound deer. Hogs were always shot behind the ear and if not....I caught H-ll from Daddy! ha. It made some fine memories.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 06/18/19.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
[Linked Image]

I did take this one out last year but the deer were not cooperating.

It was passed down to me and I refinished the stock and added the new recoil pad.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I always thought the model 64 Winchester was a handsome cuss but, one never showed when I had the jack in my jeans. Fifteen years ago an old buddy was terminal and getting rid of his collection. He offered his Marlin 336A to me and I was happy to respond.
[Linked Image]

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
My .30-30's are of a different flavor also. Here's one, my favorite. Winchester Model 54.

[Linked Image]

Nice set up! I've always liked those Model 54 rifles, tried to even buy one once. The guy was just too proud of it even though he welded on a different bolt handle and it wasn't in the original stock.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
savage 99 made in 1910 . 24 inch with tang peep.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
guess my old glenfield is boring Ha lol

FJB
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,599
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.