Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
FieldGrade, guns are a personal decision, and a subjective one. I've got the SP101's and I like them a lot. If you like it, and you want it, get it. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

Yep. Great advise.

Personally I’d prefer an old six shot Ruger Security Six with the 4” barrel or a S&W 66 of the similar variant, if I was going with a revolver. But get whatever you like, if that’s what you want. No flies on the SP101.

Yea......I just ignore the usual "do what I do" crowd.

I'm just kicking the idea around right now because I don't shoot the 1911 very well (hands are too small or something) and I really prefer wheel guns so the 101 in 357 caught my eye. I already have two S&W 38's that I reload for so practice ammo wouldn't be an added expense.
Course I could always stuff some + P rounds in my 4" Model 10-8 but what fun would that be?

The varying opinions on the 101's trigger concerns me a little......I'm kind of a trigger snob.....but I might take a chance if I can find a used one at a good price.

Might need a little trigger work, but they are great little revolvers. And handle recoil Very Well.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

The varying opinions on the 101's trigger concerns me a little......I'm kind of a trigger snob.....but I might take a chance if I can find a used one at a good price.

Sometimes, something catches our eye and we simply must give it a whirl. But I don't recall hearing anyone rave about the 101's trigger, although some like it "well enough." And you admit to being particular about triggers. Doesn't seem like a match made in heaven.

But if you find a good deal on one, if you don't like it, you can probably send it down the road at little cost for the knowledge gained.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunDoc7

Sometimes, something catches our eye and we simply must give it a whirl. But I don't recall hearing anyone rave about the 101's trigger, although some like it "well enough." And you admit to being particular about triggers. Doesn't seem like a match made in heaven.

But if you find a good deal on one, if you don't like it, you can probably send it down the road at little cost for the knowledge gained.

Yep.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
FieldGrade, guns are a personal decision, and a subjective one. I've got the SP101's and I like them a lot. If you like it, and you want it, get it. Who cares what anyone else thinks.

Yep. Great advise.

Personally I’d prefer an old six shot Ruger Security Six with the 4” barrel or a S&W 66 of the similar variant, if I was going with a revolver. But get whatever you like, if that’s what you want. No flies on the SP101.

Yea......I just ignore the usual "do what I do" crowd.

I'm just kicking the idea around right now because I don't shoot the 1911 very well (hands are too small or something) and I really prefer wheel guns so the 101 in 357 caught my eye. I already have two S&W 38's that I reload for so practice ammo wouldn't be an added expense.
Course I could always stuff some + P rounds in my 4" Model 10-8 but what fun would that be?

I agree totally with those two above.

I don;t know if having the DAO hammer on my SP101 makes the trigger feel different, but I think it ain't bad. It's not a S&W, but I wouldn't say it's better or worse than my model 60.....just different. Both have had a little work though.

Think I'd have to agree with Oregon45. If I were to buy another, I'd want it to be in 9mm. But hey - it's your gun. The hand issue, IMO, is most important. My hand issue is mine alone, of course, but I do find the SP101/Hogue grip combo to be one of the easiest things I have to get a good grip on and up into action quickly.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I am really starting to like the sp101.

Not a single thing wrong with it.

An interesting variation might be a 327 Federal.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I am really starting to like the sp101.

Not a single thing wrong with it.

An interesting variation might be a 327 Federal.

Im liking the 38 special i just picked up recently. So much in fact i had the local shop order me a 327 which should be in this week!

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
What Bob said!

I bought the SP 101 as soon as they brought it out in a four inch 327. I like it a lot better after my local gunsmith worked on the trigger. In all fairness, the trigger on the SP 101 after smithing is almost as nice as the factory trigger on my LCR.

In 327, either revolver carries six rounds instead of five as in 38 or 357. The two inch LCR slides right into a pants pocket and you never know it's there.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
What’s not to like?

Battleship grade strength, handy, ultimately reliable. I have four of them & I like my latest best, 22 with the fiber optic sight.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nope.......I'm a wheel gun guy and only interested in the 101.
I've got two - and love 'em... One in .38/.357 and the other in .32H&R... I'd sell a bunch of others before I'd consider getting rid of these.. FWIW.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Since you seem to want a 3" wheelgun, have you considered the 3" GP100 in 44 Spcl? Yes, it only holds five, but it's another good alternative.....

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have the 4.2 inch SP101 in .32 H&R. It's a six shot rather than a five shot. I use it a lot as a woods walking gun - usually with 100 grain cast SWCs. I bought it used, so I can't say whether the trigger had work done on it, but I find it more than satisfactory and I've owned and shot a lot of S&Ws and Colt double actions. Not a pocket gun, but I wouldn't be distraught if it were the only handgun I owned.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well Tim......I did indeed say I was only interested on the Sp 101.....to be honest I've always thought the GP was pretty ugly so I haven't paid much attention to them.....until now that is. I'm a big fan of the 44 Spcl......... already reload for one so that a plus.....adjustable sights are nice.....and the unfluted cylinder helps in the ugly dept. so you definitely have my attention.

I'm going to town Wed. so I think I'll try and do a comparison of the two revolvers......hopefully side by side.

Dam your hide Tim.....

PS.....does anyone here know how the GP's trigger compares to the SP?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
For me....the gp trigger is a bit nicer.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FG, I'm kind of in the same boat, regarding trigger comparison. Never had a GP100 until a few days ago. Never was interested in one until the .44 special hit the ground. And then I found out about the 10mm Match Champion.

At this point, I'd have to say that my SP101 trigger feels almost as good as my Security Six, and a little better than the Match Champion. The MC is just as smooth, but definitely a tighter lock-up, and a little heavier. But the SS is thoroughly broken in many times over, the SP is well broken in and had some work (both conditions, before I acquired them), and the MC is brand new (Haven't done more than dry-fire yet). My thoughts on all the above though, have come down to - why settle for the 44spl, when you can have one more round of the 10mm in the same package? laugh

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like the SP-101, had a couple but not in a decade or more. I can only think of two drawbacks and one isn't necessarily an issue now. First thing, I don't like fixed sights. I mess with enough loads that adjustable sights are pretty near a necessity. You c'n get 'em on the 4.2" barreled versions now. Second thing, not so much the trigger, but the gap between the trigger guard and the back of the trigger is too narrow. I found that I'd get a fold of skin in there which would keep me from firing subsequent shots in DA mode. No issue with shooting single action where I'd use the pad on my finger tip on the trigger, but when I'd hook the trigger at the first knuckle, it was pretty predictable.

If I were to get an SP-101, I think it'd be the .327 Federal, 4.2 inch, adjustable sights. I think that'd be pretty abusive on the ears. I've had a couple single sevens with 4-5/8" barrels and they bark ... loud ... with .327 ammo.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I bought a 2 1/4” SP 101 in .357 magnum around 25 years ago. At the time, I was driving a lot (too much.) I’d spend a lot of road time dry firing that revolver in double action. It smoothed out to a great double action pull. The single action pull is good also, for what it’s worth. It’s one of 2 da revolvers I have that is not aSmith and Wesson. My son always liked it well enough that he’s got it’s twin. My brother liked it well enough that I haven’t seen it in probably ten years. Oh well....

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FreeMe
FG, I'm kind of in the same boat, regarding trigger comparison. Never had a GP100 until a few days ago. Never was interested in one until the .44 special hit the ground. And then I found out about the 10mm Match Champion.

At this point, I'd have to say that my SP101 trigger feels almost as good as my Security Six, and a little better than the Match Champion. The MC is just as smooth, but definitely a tighter lock-up, and a little heavier. But the SS is thoroughly broken in many times over, the SP is well broken in and had some work (both conditions, before I acquired them), and the MC is brand new (Haven't done more than dry-fire yet). My thoughts on all the above though, have come down to - why settle for the 44spl, when you can have one more round of the 10mm in the same package?? laugh

Now don't you start dammit..... laugh

Seriously though.....I love the 44 Special and already reload for it.

And don't forget.....I'll still have the 1911 under some kleenex and chit in the nightstand if I need another round. wink

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I have six SP101's, 3 of the 2.25" DAO, and 3 of the 3". I am converting one of the 3" revolvers into DAO as well and the other two may follow. I have had them for about six years now. They replaced several S&W 625's which were just two large for me.

I keep pondering on the 5 shot capacity.

There is a general case to be made for the revolver over the semi-auto. Grant Cunningham makes the case as well as any. Here are the advantages for me:

With the Crimson Trace LG-303 grips, the SP101 fits my hand perfectly. The grip fits right in the web of my hand and the front joint of my trigger finger fits the trigger with a little to spare so that I don't pull to the side as I have with larger revolvers. The double action pull is smooth and keeps getting smoother. It is easy for me to shoot.

The mass of the revolver makes shooting the Speer Gold Dot 38 Special +P load very manageable and the 2.25" barrel boosts them to over 900 fps. The SP101 is noticeably more manageable with these than the Ruger LCR.

The Buffalo Bore .38 Special 158 grain +P ammunition is not nearly as comfortable to shoot with the 2.25" barrel. I am hoping the they will be more comfortable in the 3" barrel. If not, the 3" barrel will take the standard pressure Buffalo Bore 158 grain SWC to over 900 fps. The Hornady Critical Defense .357 load also works well in the 3" barrel.

I am also looking at replacing the front sight with a fiber optic front sight. This might work better than the front sight with my eyeglasses in the daylight.

It is a pleasure to discuss the SP101

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well Tim......I did indeed say I was only interested on the Sp 101.....to be honest I've always thought the GP was pretty ugly so I haven't paid much attention to them.....until now that is. I'm a big fan of the 44 Spcl......... already reload for one so that a plus.....adjustable sights are nice.....and the unfluted cylinder helps in the ugly dept. so you definitely have my attention.

I'm going to town Wed. so I think I'll try and do a comparison of the two revolvers......hopefully side by side.

Dam your hide Tim.....

PS.....does anyone here know how the GP's trigger compares to the SP?

grin grin

I have both the 4.2" SP 101 in 327 and the 3" GP 100 in 44 Spcl……like them both but find the GP100 more accurate.. ..Just do what I did after picking up the GP100 and stop by Alan Harton's shop and beg him to do an action/trigger job on it...…..came out very nice...

Good luck with the shopping.....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Charlie, if you are open to the GP100 3" 44 special, check it out. The two I've had (and still have one) are nice triggers. Nicer the the SP101's. I've got (right now) 6 SP's. Wanting to get down to 4. That 44 special is a nice gun, good trigger, and is just flat shoots well.

DeFlave's got one, sounds like he really likes his too.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,042
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.