-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

In March, Reyna and his team successfully coordinated a translocation of 250 wild California Quail from Idaho to Texas in an effort to repopulate the area as quail native to Texas have declined by 80 percent since 1967.

https://news.tamuc.edu/am-commerce-...slocation-from-idaho-to-northeast-texas/

Quando omni flunkus moritati
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Quail numbers have gone down significantly in my life time for sure.

Lots of pieces to the puzzle. The decline of trappers due to the decline of fur prices in the 80’s due to pressure from anti-fur campaigns by the tree huggers leading to a rapid increase in predator populations. And E. TX and Central & S. TX being invaded by fire ants are my theory’s. Also prime quail habitat loss.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 05/22/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure the Valley quail will do any better, but worth a try I guess. Fire ants are hard on them no doubt. Farms getting larger also hurts, as there is less edge effect when fields are larger in size.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
1/2 a mil for 250 quail? I guess the cost is small if the economic benefits claimed play out.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
California quail (we call them "valley quail" to distinguish them from Mountain Quail, a different species) need a consistent water source to survive. They can't make it on water in food like some species can. And yes, fire ants decimate them too. Hope they "take" in TX as they have in parts of South and Central America. I wonder if trying Gambel's Quail, their desert relative, wouldn't have been a better choice?

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mesa
California quail (we call them "valley quail" to distinguish them from Mountain Quail, a different species) need a consistent water source to survive. They can't make it on water in food like some species can. And yes, fire ants decimate them too. Hope they "take" in TX as they have in parts of South and Central America. I wonder if trying Gambel's Quail, their desert relative, wouldn't have been a better choice?

My first thought. Why not Gambel's?

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sidepass
1/2 a mil for 250 quail? I guess the cost is small if the economic benefits claimed play out.

It does seem a little pricey but I'm guessing most of that is for the radio tracking studies.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nemotheangler

My first thought. Why not Gambel's?

Gambel's are in the desert southwest. Northeast Texas is more lush farmland and looks more like Arkansas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gambel’s quail are evil little conniving bastards.

That is all. 😐

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
(Gawd I love ‘em!)

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Like chukars--a "love/HATE" relationship....

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like chukars--a "love/HATE" relationship....

^^^Agree!^^^ Bastids make you earn 'em.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Quail depend on weather conditions more than most other species. Last year they had declined from previous years to below the 15 year average. However, from 2014-2017 they were at record numbers not seen since the 1970’s. Loss of habitat through human growth does play in to that, but from experience hunting South Texas in 2017 I couldn’t go more than 200 yards without flushing a new covey during dove season.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Lots of pieces to the puzzle. The decline of trappers due to the decline of fur prices in the 80’s due to pressure from anti-fur campaigns by the tree huggers leading to a rapid increase in predator populations. And E. TX and Central & S. TX being invaded by fire ants are my theory’s. Also prime quail habitat loss.

Originally Posted by chlinstructor

My dad always talked about hunting quail on our place in east Texas when he was a kid in the late 50s, early ‘60s. I’m 42 and in my lifetime I’ve only saw 2 coveys in that county. Just too much brush, fire ants and predators I guess

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,910 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,486
Posts18,451,978
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.