R
[Linked Image]

Little Foggy

[Linked Image]

Rio7

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's pretty cool. Never a dull moment around your place!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Are they free range?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have heard that are a few bison in TX also, most likely on game ranches

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Awesome Rio7 !

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have heard that are a few bison in TX also, most likely on game ranches

Unless they escaped, there are no free ranging Bison left in TX. Most are privately owned on Ranches.

Our State Parks have some herds, but they are still worked and managed like cattle.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Chrisk1977
Are they free range?

Closest I know of to me is there are a few free range elk in southcentral Llano county in the Cedar mountain area. They showed up on old family friends ranch (low fence)after the big flood in 2005. They still have anfew that just won’t leave the mountain. Ranch owner says they still show up on his hunters game cameras. They seem to like the mountain!

And apparently there are several now up in northern Burnet county, as someone somehow allowed several to escape off my cousins exotic ranch. These were some of the red deer crosses. I haven’t spoken to couz as of yet for the whole skinny on that situation.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 06/16/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I wasn’t hating just asking. I thought after I read what I posted it sounded a little rough. Not my intention

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There’s a free ranging herd of Elk out in the Ft Davis Mountains area of West TX that escaped many many years ago. Every once in a while you will hear of a hunter taking one.
Originally, Elk were native to TX, and said to be pretty numerous out on the plains.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
The pic's of Elk I posted are not free range, they are in aa 20,000 acre high fence. Rio7

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buddy of mines Ranch I hunt in Coleman County has a neighboring high fenced Ranch with a pretty good sized herd of Elk. It’s weird to be whitetail hunting in TX early morning and hear an Elk bugle.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I think the elk are doing pretty well in free range West Texas. I see them occasionally around Alpine, between Ft Stockton and Marathon, the Van Horn area, and Ft Davis as you mentioned. The huge Longfellow between Marathon and Sanderson has a well established herd too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I think the elk are doing pretty well in free range West Texas. I see them occasionally around Alpine, between Ft Stockton and Marathon, the Van Horn area, and Ft Davis as you mentioned. The huge Longfellow between Marathon and Sanderson has a well established herd too.

Thanks JG. Good to know they’re still out there.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There are lots of elk scattered in West Texas.....the NM herd continues to creep south too....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
There is or was a free ranging herd in the Guadalupe Mts. They had elk there previously but were exterminated sometime around the turn of the last century. They were re-introduced in the 1920s or 30s and thrived but by the 1970s they were getting inbred. Not sure of the current status. I hope some NM elk have moved in to revitalize this heard.

A friend shot one last month in chihuahua desert country near Sanderson. Maybe it came from the Longfellow Ranch. I found a shed of a 360 class bull in the same area, unfortunately only one antler. Surprising that they can thrive in such arid and rough terrain. Parks and wildlife wrongly insists they are non native and wants to get rid of them.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JGRaider

We harvested two this past year just east of Fort Stockton. We have seen them on the property for three or four years. They are out there and they are free range elk.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tejano
There is or was a free ranging herd in the Guadalupe Mts. They had elk there previously but were exterminated sometime around the turn of the last century. They were re-introduced in the 1920s or 30s and thrived but by the 1970s they were getting inbred. Not sure of the current status. I hope some NM elk have moved in to revitalize this heard.

A friend shot one last month in chihuahua desert country near Sanderson. Maybe it came from the Longfellow Ranch. I found a shed of a 360 class bull in the same area, unfortunately only one antler. Surprising that they can thrive in such arid and rough terrain. Parks and wildlife wrongly insists they are non native and wants to get rid of them.

A biologist told me that the free ranging elk were competing with the Bighorn population, and impeding restocking efforts. Hence, the push to eliminate all elk in West Texas.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There was a cow elk taken by a hunter here in GA 10-12 years ago. A truck pulling a stock trailer loaded with elk was involved in an accident on I75 between Atlanta and Chattanooga and some escaped. Most were recaptured, but it was during hunting season and some guy shot what he thought was a huge whitetail doe. Until he got closer and realized it wasn't a deer. He self reported the incident, but it was not illegal. He was allowed to keep the meat.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by techfish
Originally Posted by Tejano

A biologist told me that the free ranging elk were competing with the Bighorn population, and impeding restocking efforts. Hence, the push to eliminate all elk in West Texas.

That is news to me. Interesting as every legislative session they (TPWD, RMEF) keep trying to make Elk a game animal and under TPWD to regulate the season and taking of the animal. If they really wanted to get rid of them, they would want to keep them as an exotic which are unregulated. If any thing, I would think those pesky Aoudad would be competing with the Big Horn Sheep

Last edited by wesheltonj; 08/03/19.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Just this weekend an elk was struck and killed by a vehicle on hwy 136 between Fritch and Amarillo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (22kHornet, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 23 invisible), 1,455 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,476
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.