Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Quite frequently on the various forums here, I see fellows asking and discussing the ability of this action or that action and it's gas escape engineering provisions. AND making rifle build decisions with that as a factor. WTF is that all about? In 55 years of reloading, I can honestly say, I've never had anything more serious than a primer back out on an old lever action rifle with headspace problems. I shoot a LOT. I have a hundred yard bench shack in my front yard and a 700 yard clanger range in my back yard, bought powder by the keg until they started selling it in cases Do I need to perk up my load by substituting Bullseye for the same old 4831 or what? Get me some gas blowing back.

I had a Remington 303 British factory cartridge split on me one time. I felt a little jet of gas across the back of my arm. Nothing in my face. Whoever designed the gas-handling features of the No. 4 Mk I SMLE did me a favor that day.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by okie john
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Quite frequently on the various forums here, I see fellows asking and discussing the ability of this action or that action and it's gas escape engineering provisions. AND making rifle build decisions with that as a factor. WTF is that all about? In 55 years of reloading, I can honestly say, I've never had anything more serious than a primer back out on an old lever action rifle with headspace problems. I shoot a LOT. I have a hundred yard bench shack in my front yard and a 700 yard clanger range in my back yard, bought powder by the keg until they started selling it in cases Do I need to perk up my load by substituting Bullseye for the same old 4831 or what? Get me some gas blowing back.

I had a Remington 303 British factory cartridge split on me one time. I felt a little jet of gas across the back of my arm. Nothing in my face. Whoever designed the gas-handling features of the No. 4 Mk I SMLE did me a favor that day.

Okie John

Replace factory Remington with WWII vintage Radway Green ball and you've got my gas handling adventure story.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1minute, 19rabbit52, 1eyedmule, 57 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,929
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.