Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is 10 years of paying for cow tags. Never drew a bull tag.

I always get the deer and antelope if I buy the tag.

Elk are harder for me.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Often the hardest part of a hunt is getting the tag. Many of our bull tags have drawing odds of 1 in 10 or less. We quit doing that and went to cow tags. We'll draw 4 out of 5 years. We'd much rather get to hunt every year than to have to sit it out waiting for another set of antlers to draw dust. As a senior, the tag is only $16.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm in the same boat as Rock Chuck. Hunting every year is more important than killing big bulls.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
I'm in the same boat as Rock Chuck. Hunting every year is more important than killing big bulls.

Definitely .Hunting cows is far above sitting home and wondering why a person didn't draw a bull tag and wishing they did.The 6X antlers I got last year that was an OTC tag ,after I hunted ML cow elk,still sitting down in the barn.. There are only so many places on the barn/garage to hang a set of antlers, but always space in the freezer for a nice tender cow.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Clarkm
This is 10 years of paying for cow tags. Never drew a bull tag.

I always get the deer and antelope if I buy the tag.

Elk are harder for me.

Non-resident where, Clark?

IC B2

Clarkm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My brother lives in the 700 unit in MT. That is where I will be in Oct 2019.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Hunting anything beats sitting home watching Jim Shockey....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck on your MT hunt.

While we have lots of antelope in the family freezers (there are a bunch of them), we are out of deer and elk. This year we have plans to hunt over-the-counter bull in 3rd rifle season and cow in 4th rifle - first time I'll have hunted two full seasons and first time ever for 4th rifle for all of us. As a meat hunter, I don't care about the antlers - any healthy-looking adult that matches my license will do.

The point of hunting two seasons this year is to have a better chance of catching the migration. There will ultimately be 4 of us - Daughter #1, her hubby and her BIL. None have ever taken an elk and BIL has never hunted them before. I'll go up 3rd rifle and try to get one and if/when the migration starts I'll call in the others. The plan sounds good on paper... smile

Again, good luck to you and your brother.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Washington state is a cow spike only for archery on east side of state.Takes about 10 years to draw a bull tag.

I always run into big bulls with no bull tag

I think mature cows harder to hunt in early season during rut and after the rut

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Often the hardest part of a hunt is getting the tag. Many of our bull tags have drawing odds of 1 in 10 or less. We quit doing that and went to cow tags. We'll draw 4 out of 5 years. We'd much rather get to hunt every year than to have to sit it out waiting for another set of antlers to draw dust. As a senior, the tag is only $16.

That's what bows and arrows are for. Sucks to slip in on a herd with a nice big 6 point bull and have to shoot a cow........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Stick with it! I’ve taught quite a few buddies how to hunt elk (they weren’t blessed with a Dad like mine) and once they caught on to it they filled their tags on their own every year after.

I think that there might be some sort of a perception correction that takes place after you put one or two in the pickup that makes it easier.

Or, you could be hunting in the wrong place. I know nothing of elk hunting in the 700 Unit in Montana but I do know that just because the state sells you a tag doesn’t necessarily mean there are elk there.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just like unit 12 in AZ. That is the biggest joke out there.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by WAM

Getting a root canal without novocaine beats sitting home watching Jim Shockey

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
Originally Posted by WAM

Getting a root canal without novocaine beats sitting home watching Jim Shockey

I love to hunt, but I also enjoy most of Jim Shockey's shows. We have hunted in some of the same places, but he does it for a living and I do it for fun.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 3,014 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.