B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nula on safe, that's it, it will not go back further:

[Linked Image]

Nula on fire:

[Linked Image]

There isn't any in-between or middle. If it is not all the way back, you have allowed it to be there. It is your error and you are close to going live especially if you diddle with the trigger when you think it is on safe. Mentioned it prior, there is a leaning curve with a Nula. Those who can't invest the 15-30minutes to figure it out, should use something else.

Last edited by battue; 11/19/18.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Waaaaay too much common sense applied, Battue. Waaaaay!! LOL.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There should be no position in which the safety can be left that allows partial sear movement. Period. If this is how it is designed, it is a bad design. It is not a matter of understanding how it works and being able to make it work for you. If you shoulder a rifle and squeeze the trigger and it doesn't go bang, the only way it should discharge after that is with another trigger pull. If the rifle's safety allows partial sear movement in any position that can result in discharge without a finger on the trigger, there is a problem.

You are correct. I would hope that anyone could figure out how a safety works on a given weapon with minimal time invested, certainly less than 15-30 minutes, even. That doesn't change the fact that a rifle should not discharge without a finger on the trigger. I don't have any NULA experience. I don't know I this can typically be replicated on them. I do know that many have designed safeties that have no possible middle ground without actively holding the mechanism between the safe and fire detents.

If you can park the safety somewhere between safe and fire and get partial sear movement by squeezing the trigger, something is wrong. Sure, the obvious remark is that you do not ever squeeze the trigger with the safety in that position. That is not a realistic expectation, especially on a hunting rifle. Things happen. Ending up in a position where the only way to unload a rifle is to slide the safety forward allowing it to fire is not acceptable, even if you are aware of what happened. It would be very easy to be unware and have an AD in the heat of the moment.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The same can happen with a Remington and a Winchester Model 70. Especially the 70 with a little past middle. Just a little past middle, touch the trigger and the pin will fall. Give them an unintended bounce when they are on the edge and the hammer will fall. No different than the Timney on the Nula.

Sorry that is the way it works.

Originally Posted by rovert

If you can park the safety somewhere between safe and fire and get partial sear movement by squeezing the trigger, something is wrong. Sure, the obvious remark is that you do not ever squeeze the trigger with the safety in that position. That is not a realistic expectation, especially on a hunting rifle. Things happen. Ending up in a position where the only way to unload a rifle is to slide the safety forward allowing it to fire is not acceptable, even if you are aware of what happened. It would be very easy to be unware and have an AD in the heat of the moment.

Why is it unrealistic to not squeeze the trigger when one knows the rifle is loaded and on safe. Most squeeze the trigger when the rifle is off safe and they want to shoot at something.

Second. There is a way to unload a Nula without sliding the safety to the fire position. It is relatively easy, but part of the learning curve. The safety is all the way back-again to repeat myself-and you then push down on the safety and lift the bolt. The rifle remains on safe while you eject cartridges.

If one doesn't know how a Nula works, perhaps they should either learn, or refrain.

Addition: As previously mentioned, if a Nula, or any other rifle, goes off while the safety is released from the proper working position, then there most definitely is something wrong.

And to repeat myself again. The safety only is allowed to be someplace in the middle if the user allows it to be there. The intended safe position is all the way back. One doesn't park it where it is not supposed to be.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

This is the only situation I'm referring to:

Originally Posted by battue

Addition: As previously mentioned, if a Nula, or any other rifle, goes off while the safety is released from the proper working position, then there most definitely is something wrong.

There were, I believe, two posters earlier in this thread (years ago, I know) that reported pulling the trigger on a rifle that was not fully set to fire. The rifle did not go off until they moved the safe fully to fire without a finger on the trigger. This is what I'm referring to with partial sear movement with the safe set between detents. This should not happen.

What you are referring to on the 700 and 70 is some slop that allows the trigger to be pulled before the safety is set all the way to fire. In this situation, you still have your finger on the trigger and are trying to shoot it when it goes bang. The best example of this I can think of is an AR. If you move the safe close to fire and work the trigger you can get the sear to release. In the process, the safety actually moves to the fire position. There is no partial release, however, that allows sear to fully drop only when the safety is moved. This is not what I'm condemning. BTW, I haven't actually experienced this with any of my model 70's and have little 700 experience.

Anyway, I don't think we were on the same page. I am only referring to a gun that goes off without a finger on the trigger when the safe is moved to fire, which is what I thought the thread was about.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rovert
I don't think we are talking about the same thing.

This is the only situation I'm referring to:

Originally Posted by battue

There were, I believe, two posters earlier in this thread (years ago, I know) that reported pulling the trigger on a rifle that was not fully set to fire. The rifle did not go off until they moved the safe fully to fire without a finger on the trigger. This is what I'm referring to with partial sear movement with the safe set between detents. This should not happen.

What you are referring to on the 700 and 70 is some slop that allows the trigger to be pulled before the safety is set all the way to fire. In this situation, you still have your finger on the trigger and are trying to shoot it when it goes bang. The best example of this I can think of is an AR. If you move the safe close to fire and work the trigger you can get the sear to release. In the process, the safety actually moves to the fire position. There is no partial release, however, that allows sear to fully drop only when the safety is moved. This is not what I'm condemning. BTW, I haven't actually experienced this with any of my model 70's and have little 700 experience.

Anyway, I don't think we were on the same page. I am only referring to a gun that goes off without a finger on the trigger when the safe is moved to fire, which is what I thought the thread was about.

Then why do you reference parking the safety in the wrong place, when that would be user error? Why do you go on about knowing how to unload a Nula, when you don't?

Never mind, the answer is obvious.

Addition: Melvin has made and sold over 5000 rifles. Did some get out while not functioning absolutely perfect? Try it yourself sometime and get back with us.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d like to post a link if this works. I’ve been very concerned about the safety of my 2018 .308 Win. I definitely has three positions to the safety. Fully forward is a mushy “quasi-position” that allows the rifle to fire. The middle position is a definte click position and will not allow the rifle to fire. The fully rearward position is also definite click that does not allow the rifle to fire. Now that middle position is interesting in that if the trigger is pulled with the safety in the middle position, it won’t fire, BUT sometimes as you advance the safety forward into the “mushy” fire position, the rifle will discharge with no finger on the trigger. My previous NULA was a perfect two position safety as others have described. I haven’t brought this up to Melvin yet as I’ve had other fish to fry, but as the rifle is, I consider it not useable. Also, Melvin can be difficult in my experience.
Don
https://youtu.be/mkBt5_eMW68

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by docdb
I’d like to post a link if this works. I’ve been very concerned about the safety of my 2018 .308 Win. I definitely has three positions to the safety. Fully forward is a mushy “quasi-position” that allows the rifle to fire. The middle position is a definte click position and will not allow the rifle to fire. The fully rearward position is also definite click that does not allow the rifle to fire. Now that middle position is interesting in that if the trigger is pulled with the safety in the middle position, it won’t fire, BUT sometimes as you advance the safety forward into the “mushy” fire position, the rifle will discharge with no finger on the trigger. My previous NULA was a perfect two position safety as others have described. I haven’t brought this up to Melvin yet as I’ve had other fish to fry, but as the rifle is, I consider it not useable. Also, Melvin can be difficult in my experience.
Don
https://youtu.be/mkBt5_eMW68

Gee, there is a 3rd position. Standby, someone will be along to correct you.

Thanks for the video.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
W
Thank you for the video

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had it happen on a ula model 20 reb pistol I had. it turned out to be some oil and debris that had gotten in the trigger and gummed it up. Melvin inspected and cleaned it and it was fine after.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Gentleman.
I'm no gunsmith, just guy who ran into this exact thing with one of my rifles. I've heard of others with the exact same fault. Same thing, safety on, pull trigger, safety OFF, Clack. I was SO lucky my gun was not loaded. This is serious. Sorry to ramble and use caps in my post. But, if I can save just one accident, I'll be happy.
THIS IS A DEFECTIVE COCKING PIECE NOTCH CUT THAT WAS CUT TOO FAR/DEEP. THE SAFETY DOES NOT MOVE THE COCKING PIECE FAR ENOUGH BACK TO ALLOW THE INTERNAL TRIGGER SEAR TO MOVE FREELY WHEN THE SAFETY IS ON!
PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT USE IT OR LORD FORBID SELL IT TO SOMEONE.
Don't do it!
It needs a new cocking piece that is properly timed. One can check the internal sear clearance by taking the barreled action from the stock and look through the sear hole to see if the trigger sear moves freely when the safety lever is in the SAFE position.

Life is brief. Treat yourself. You earned it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Daveh,

I'll swing by and give it a through inspection.

I'll have it back to you by, what, next November?

That work?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Waaaaay too much common sense applied, Battue. Waaaaay!! LOL.

Riiiight. From the guy who drops a NULA in saltwater and doesn't clean the thing for three months! lol...

Good lord.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found what the problem was......the safety lever was coming into contact with the action (I'm a lefty). I bent the lever away from the action and relieved the stock and it was brand new. Nice crisp snapping into safe and fire positions.
Don

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Glad there was a simple fix. My NULA trigger on a Colt lite rifle is a three position but requires the lever to be depressed for unloading while on safe mode. The detants are positive at each.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,072
Posts18,463,761
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.