-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've always heard that fluting a barrel induces stress into the barrel and makes it less accurate. I know there is a right and wrong way to do anything but if done properly does fluting stress a barrel?

Are button rifled barrels more prone to fluting stress than cut rifled barrels?

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, Skip Otto shot this 5 shot group at the Cactus shoot in Phoenix several years ago with a fluted barrel. It was and stll may be a 200yd record 5 shot group. I believe it measured at .099.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by butchlambert1; 06/15/19.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have personally tested this and found no difference in accuracy. I worked up a load in my 6.5SAUM then pulled the barrel and had Kampfeld flute it. Reinstalled and it shot just as good if not better with the same load.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by xverminator
I've always heard that fluting a barrel induces stress into the barrel and makes it less accurate. I know there is a right and wrong way to do anything but if done properly does fluting stress a barrel?

Are button rifled barrels more prone to fluting stress than cut rifled barrels?

X-VERMINATOR

BS...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Butch, I'm not denying that fluted barrels can be very accurate. Heck, I own several myself. The question was, can fluting induce stress into a barrel thereby making it less inherently accurate.

I'm following up with you because this is the gunsmithing forum and as far as I know, you are the only gunsmith that has replied so far..

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 06/16/19.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I answered and, in fact, wrote a fairly long winded discourse on the subject but it seems to have ended up in the twilight zone so, the short answer; not if the barrel is stress relieved and the cutter is sharp and not pushed. GD

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by xverminator
Butch, I'm not denying that fluted barrels can be very accurate. Heck, I own several myself. The question was, can fluting induce stress into a barrel thereby making it less inherently accurate.

I'm following up with you because this is the gunsmithing forum and as far as I know, you are the only gunsmith that has replied so far..

X-VERMINATOR

Listen to GD. He has been around a long time and I find his advice to always be spot on. I've personally only fluted one BR barrel to prove a point only. I wanted to make a LV "10.5 lbs" with legal weight using a Nightforce 12X42 NXS scope. Rifle shot fine. I think if it is the only way you can drop weight, go for it. I personally don't care for the look.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
PM sent

X-VERMINATOR

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I saw a guy try to flute a barrel once with the cutter spinning backwards. Put up one heck of a racket. He was a know it all assshole so me and a buddy just drank coffee and enjoyed the show. He kept feeding in more and more and holding his hands over his ears because of the noise.

By the time he figured it out it was bent like a banana and had a hell of a set of pecker tracks on that one “flute”. I bet that one had some stress induced from that operation!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

414 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 43 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,580
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.