Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WDH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
https://www.adn.com/opinions/2019/0...about-fish-our-wild-game-is-at-risk-too/

The Pebble fight isn’t just about fish. Our wild game is at risk, too.
Author: Tia Shoemaker | Opinion Updated: 4 hours ago Published 4 hours ago

I identify as a hunter.
Growing up on a homestead near Bristol Bay inside a designated wildlife area, I am intimately familiar with ecosystems and how they relate to the hunting world.

ADVERTISING

For a healthy life cycle, many game species need wilderness. By “wilderness,” I mean an entire biologically intact, healthy ecosystem with operating balances and counter-balances and minimal human impact.
As an angler, an avid hunter and a registered Alaskan hunting guide, the effects of the proposed Pebble Mine on hunting and fishing has my full attention! As human needs and populations increase, pressure on our few remaining wild places is amplified. For the continuation of our sport and outdoor heritage, we hunters are obligated to protect Alaska’s wild places and our unique hunting opportunities.
When done responsibly, mining lends great benefit to the state. Our country needs jobs and raw materials, which is an angle the Pebble Partnership is using. The industry-created jobs from Pebble sound enticing until you consider the cost.
The problems with Pebble are location and magnitude. The foreign-owned proposed open-pit mine, with potential to be the world’s largest, would sit at the headwaters of the most massive sockeye salmon run on the planet.

Salmon are the lifeblood of the area. Without them, the entire region’s ecosystem, and thus economy, would collapse. Salmon are highly susceptible to environmental disturbances, as discovered on both coasts of the U.S., Canada and Europe. While it is well established that Pebble has the potential to irrevocably change the most valuable salmon fishery worldwide, what does that mean for hunters?
Bristol Bay is one of the last great game fields and home to the world’s densest population of brown bears. This phenomenon is due to the vast expanse of undeveloped lands and seasonable accessibility to high caloric fish. Herbivores such as caribou and moose also depend on the influx of nitrogen and fertilization of the soil and vegetation surrounding the streams and tundra.
A mine of this size involves billions of gallons of discharged wastewater, dams implicitly leaking toxic chemicals into surrounding waterways and plenty of other impacts aside from just the mine pit itself. Together, the components of what Pebble would need to build to operate would have devastating impacts on the entire region’s ecosystem from the salmon up.
The flooding that will occur as a byproduct of resource extraction would reduce forage, which serves as sustenance for the ungulates of the area. What’s more, gambling that monstrous, toxin-filled lakes, sitting on porous soil in a seismically active area, will never leak, is a fool’s bet. Statistically, it is a certainty. At risk is the entire Bristol Bay ecosystem. Not only are we gambling with a cultural and traditional subsistence lifestyle, an indefinitely sustainable, $1.5 billion per year commercial fishery and a $60 million sport fishing industry, but the health and viability of all our big game.
The most significant threat our hunting culture faces today is habitat destruction. While the environmental threats are a big issue involving the entire food web, it is to say nothing of the effect such massive infrastructure and boom in the human population would have on our wild areas and our game!

The Pebble Partnership’s draft Environmental Impact Statement addresses only the initial mine footprint. At present, the development and resource extraction they propose is not enough to make a profit. No business is sustainable without profit so we can assume it will only expand as that is the rule rather than the exception with mining.
The road alone will have dire consequences on the bear population, as it would pass within 400 yards of McNeil River bear sanctuary. History demonstrates that once the infrastructure of roads are in place, they will be used by all, thus fragmenting habitat. The decline in rich hunting land will reverberate through Alaska, as displacement of hunters and anglers will lead to increased pressure throughout other parts of the state.
The irreversible damage and long-term environmental consequences of Pebble would go beyond anything the world has seen and threaten the heart of our hunting heritage. Hunting is a way of life for many Alaskans - not just our passion, but also our identity.
We cannot sit back and let big money dictate what happens to our land and animals. We must fight to protect our hunting if we wish for future generations to experience the same opportunities we have had.
Aldo Leopold said it best, “I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are 40 freedoms without a blank spot on the map?” Just as we wouldn’t sell our rights to free speech or of the press, to bear arms, the right to assembly and worship, neither shall we sell our rights to hunt what wilderness is left.
Tia Shoemaker has been guiding for 17 years for her family’s hunting and fishing business Grizzly Skins of Alaska. She grew up in Becharof National Wildlife Refuge and has been living off and hunting that land since she was a small child.

-------------------------------

Scare tactics from a liberal hippie hunter. Mine it!

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Your ignorance is astounding.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No kidding. Get a clue WDH. I believe that woman is about as far from being a hippy as Obama is from being a klansman.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Your ignorance is astounding.

Clearly you have not read his other posts if his current ignorance is astounding... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
WDH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Probably typed it up on her iPhone!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You've become your father........

Originally Posted by WDH
Everything I've mentioned has been shot down: halibut fishing, salmon fishing, bear viewing in katami, etc.....

I ask them what they want to do and they are like "you know, see AK". My dad as no interest in AK (theres no cows here) and if I took him on a horse ride anywhere here he would just spend the day telling whoever owns the horses what is wrong with them

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If ever there was a time for a "facepalm" smiley, this was it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just what the world needs, less salmon and game.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Liberal hippie hunter? You can't possibly be that ignorant.
She's a hunter with an ethos in conservation. Beside obviously clueless, what are you?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by SKane
Liberal hippie hunter? You can't possibly be that ignorant.
She's a hunter with an ethos in conservation. Beside obviously clueless, what are you?

Going on on not much of a limb here, but yes he can be.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

W
WDH Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by JeffA

You've become your father........

Originally Posted by WDH
Everything I've mentioned has been shot down: halibut fishing, salmon fishing, bear viewing in katami, etc.....

I ask them what they want to do and they are like "you know, see AK". My dad as no interest in AK (theres no cows here) and if I took him on a horse ride anywhere here he would just spend the day telling whoever owns the horses what is wrong with them

Wow you must be bored. This reply was possible due to mining.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So what is ol tia shoemaker making off them bear and moose hunts in the Becharof national refuge?

Last edited by 79S; 06/18/19.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well no price on the the website. I guess as the old saying goes if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And eco tour and fishing trips..so yeah I would be opposed to pebble as well if I were her. But I'm not her, and mining and oil are the life blood of this state.. so build the mine..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The author is Phil's daughter. As you mignt Imagine, she like her father, is the real deal.

I'll wager she can out shoot, out hunt, and out fish Wadda Dick Head. Probably kick his ass too.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
The author is Phil's daughter. As you mignt Imagine, she like her father, is the real deal.

I'll wager she can out shoot, out hunt, and out fish Wadda Dick Head. Probably kick his ass too.

Set your emotions to the side, and let's look at the real reason she's against pebble..

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Lots of people are against pebble, for a lot of reasons. A lot of them are not anti-mining as well.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Lots of people are against pebble, for a lot of reasons. A lot of them are not anti-mining as well.

I need a job and pebble is the answer.. not all of us can be yoga/karate instructors like you and teach jeet kune do in soldotna city park..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not sure I see the issue IE whats wrong with protecting your job. OTOH knowing Phil and betting his daughter is about the same, I know they would have no issue making ends meet no matter the results.

That said I'm not anti mine or anti oil at all either. But one has to make sure its done safely and I think the mine has a lot of downstream dangers, much more so than oil production ever would. With all that said there could be ways to do it, BUT it would have to toss out making max profit, and give some extra guarantees to safety and liability.

At least this is just IMHO.

Nice little shaker here just now.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 79S
And eco tour and fishing trips..so yeah I would be opposed to pebble as well if I were her. But I'm not her, and mining and oil are the life blood of this state.. so build the mine..

Quite certain in 2019 tourism’s economic impact for our state far exceeds that of mining; roughly 4:1 in the numbers I could find. I’ll certainly concede oil ... mining, maybe not so much. As ‘bender articulated, lots of people who aren’t necessary anti-mining (myself included) are strongly opposed to THIS mine. Heck, even Stevens was opposed to it ... let that marinade for a spell.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 160user, 16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.