-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Looks like the managers have shifted another run out of its historical track... wink

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/R...-limits-amidst-strong-run-511434262.html

Russian River anglers get another bump in bag limits amidst strong run

By Lex Treinen | Posted: Mon 4:15 PM, Jun 17, 2019 | Updated: Mon 4:35 PM, Jun 17, 2019

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) - The Russian River salmon run is still hot, and starting Wednesday, anglers can take even more of the early-run sockeye home.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game issued another Emergency Order (EO) bumping up the limit from six to nine, with a total allowance of eighteen in possession.

That’s because over 45,000 fish have already made it to the weir above the falls, where the fish are counted. The so-called escapement goal--the number of fish that biologists allow to make it to the weir before increasing limits--is normally between 22,000 and 42,000.

More than 5,000 fish have made it to the weir every day since June 11, with a peak of over 8,000 fish in one day on June 12. Last year on this date, just over 6,000 fish had made it that far.

The EO also encompasses the Upper Kenai River from Skilak Lake to just past the Russian River Sanctuary. The new limit goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, June 19.

“We opened the waters of the sanctuary and increased the bag limit from three to six last week and sockeye salmon keep pouring into the Russian River,” said Colton Lipka, the Area Management Biologist. “With these numbers, it is appropriate to increase the limits and allow anglers an opportunity to harvest more sockeye salmon.”

The emergency order is in effect until July 7.

Copyright 2019 KTUU. All rights reserved.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn, i'm going to have to dust off our flyrods and plan a trip down there soon.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do the Sockeyes outnumber the anglers yet?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK

I hope it is at least 9:1 the next few days!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VernAK

lol. our head guide was down that way last weekend with his gal to just get away. She said she had never seen the combat fishing, was "interesting to see/watch". Nope they were not dumb enough to even try.

I don't like experiences like those... but it happens.

When the silvers arrive here, it gets to be enough for my tastes.

King is closed, its more relaxing, but pays much less...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

W
WDH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Must be all the reds avoiding Bristol bay because of the proposed pebble mine

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The one year I'm not there to fish, and everyone I know going there is limiting out. The oldest and I hit it up last year and got a big goose egg. I got a letter from him Monday and he was telling me how much he misses fishing. Luckily for him, he only joined the Army Guard and will be back around Thanksgiving and we can fish all next summer together. I am hoping I can get the youngest on some pinks come early August when I get home. Not the same as a nice sockeye, but still fun to catch.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Should turn into a real cluster in a few hours...

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Well it being weds shouldn’t be too bad, but my bud was down there Monday morning. You think it would be a ghost town everyone working. Wrong said it was a pretty packed. So tomorrow will be no different makes you wonder about who works up here.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

Well it being weds shouldn’t be too bad, but my bud was down there Monday morning. You think it would be a ghost town everyone working. Wrong said it was a pretty packed. So tomorrow will be no different makes you wonder about who works up here.

I have never known the Russian to be a ghost town the first two weeks of the season. Heck, my old AF unit would drop manning about 2/3 during open season at the Russian.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Us cretins use gill-nets at Kasilof..... smile. 16 fish Thursday - not bad for an hour's work setting, picking, retrieving the net. Read a book and played with the dogs on the beach (two of them with me) while I "fished". Visited with the usual suspects on either side of me- see them every year.

Go ahead and spend hours flailing the water combat fishing. Of course, fish on the line IS more fun than one in the net.

Fish arenot very thick through the body this year tho. Might have to save a few on my limit for dip netting the nicer Kenai fish.

Or I could go flail the water a quarter mile from my house....................nah! smile

Last edited by las; 06/22/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Us cretins use gill-nets at Kasilof..... smile. 16 fish Thursday - not bad for an hour's work setting, picking, retrieving the net. Read a book and played with the dogs on the beach (two of them with me) while I "fished". Visited with the usual suspects on either side of me- see them every year.

Go ahead and spend hours flailing the water combat fishing. Of course, fish on the line IS more fun than one in the net.

Fish arenot very thick through the body this year tho. Might have to save a few on my limit for dip netting the nicer Kenai fish.

Or I could go flail the water a quarter mile from my house....................nah! smile

The state keeps reducing the hours for the gill netting on the kasilof. So we didn't do it this yr again. Maybe next year..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by 79S

I have never known the Russian to be a ghost town the first two weeks of the season. Heck, my old AF unit would drop manning about 2/3 during open season at the Russian.

2012 the run was abysmal.. but the klutina River was rocking the copper run was running very well. Overnight the klutina became the Russian River. Glennallen Certainly liked it..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of us are from the Lower 48. We have to combat fish. No gill or dip netting for us. That's OK--my wife likes to floss the Kenai. We'll be there on the 17th of July. Hope the 2nd run of reds is as good as the 1st.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Some of us are from the Lower 48. We have to combat fish. No gill or dip netting for us. That's OK--my wife likes to floss the Kenai. We'll be there on the 17th of July. Hope the 2nd run of reds is as good as the 1st.

You better hope like hell they aren't a week early like couple other runs we had so far

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Took the Grandson to last year and we were too early. We left on the Jul 22 and they were just starting to hit Soldotna. It was painful watching all those fish landed and all our stuff was packed and ready for the drive back to Anchorage. The ocean excursions and King drifts (catch and release) made up for the lack of Reds. Grandson had an ear-to-ear grin the entire trip!

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The peak of the second run traditionally hits the mouth of the Kenai July 19, You were "too early", the reds were right on time, or just about. Maybe a couple days late. I haven't seen when they peaked last year. Just not a good run of them.

They take a day or two to get to Soldotna, usually.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago an acquaintance of mine explained how he always managed to have a comfy stretch of the Russian all to himself when fishing for reds. He carried a paper bag filled with empty beer cans. Just as he reached the shore he’d pretend to stumble and spill all of the empty cans. Then he’d I unholster his 44 and fire two or three shots into the air while yelling “who wants to party?” Always worked for him.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
[u][/u]
Originally Posted by John_Havard
Years ago an acquaintance of mine explained how he always managed to have a comfy stretch of the Russian all to himself when fishing for reds. He carried a paper bag filled with empty beer cans. Just as he reached the shore he’d pretend to stumble and spill all of the empty cans. Then he’d I unholster his 44 and fire two or three shots into the air while yelling “who wants to party?” Always worked for him.

I think I met him once...

Last edited by Sitka deer; 06/26/19.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

422 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 257_X_50, 39 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,411
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.