Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.[/quote]

There should be a distinction here between "can do it" and "should do it". Yeah, I've done stupid stuff in the past, including pulling a heavy tandem axle trailer with with a skid loader behind a Nissan Hardbody pickup, guessing about 11k lbs. Scared myself sh1tless trying to stop it, and won't do that again.......... [/quote]

Did you get it to stop? Or just slow down enough so you could bail out? laugh[/quote]

Kinda blew through a 4 way stop with the front wheels locked up and the seat cover wadded up my butt. Glad there was no traffic...........

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I tried to pull my 4K # boat/trailer single axle on my ATV once. It was a poor decision moving straight forward, it was even dumber trying to turn, and not having the hookup to lock out the surge brakes made backing up impossible. I'm glad there weren't many witnesses.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recall more than a few loads behind old 70’s era full size station wagons that some today would declare you need a turbo diesel DRW set up for. Doubt they were pulling mountain passes at 70mph, lol, but they seemed to get over some N GA hills alright. Getting down the other side I bet was scary though!

Wasn’t that long ago a 460 or 7.3 diesel couldn’t touch the HP and torque of today’s gassers. A 1990 F350 with a 460 couldn’t break 400ft lbs of torque.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used diesels for years towing heavy loads for work, they worked great. Now I have a Chevy 6.0 gasser and tow my 20' boat with a cabover camper and going over the hills humming along at 4000rpm and doin the speed limit works great for me.

I love the sound of the 6.0 when it is in it's power band and it is as smooth as can be.... just gotta drive em.... wind em up

For the cost of a new set of diesel injectors I can replace my whole motor....

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my 09 gas chevy 1/2 ton is rated at 11500 towing. I had 8000 lbs on my 1100 lbs trailer I built it pulled it fine but did not stop it very good. had 12000 lbs on same trailer with a f 550 with a 8 x 12 flat bed with welder / tools hole nother ball game .it aint the motor it is the truck

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How's the engine braking in these new pickups with 6 and 8 spd trannies compared to a manual? I haven't driven one in the mountains.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I can only speak to the 6 speed/6.7 cummins, but the exhaust break is awesome. It takes some getting used to, but it works great.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My 2016 Ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi pulls great with 3.73 gears.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How's the engine braking in these new pickups with 6 and 8 spd trannies compared to a manual? I haven't driven one in the mountains.

I haven't tried mine with real heavy loads,but it works fine w only towing horse trailer

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No experience with engine brakes on pickups, but I think they are just exhaust brakes.
If so, they help a fair bit.
Nowhere near like a Jacobs, though. A true engine retarder is able to match horsepower
in modern engines. 460hp going up the hill, 460hp holding you back going down the hill.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Not sure if you are referring to a diesel or gas? as others have said the diesel brake is very effective. My 2009 Chevy gasser has a 6 sp auto with a tow mode and that thing really downshifts hard,
Only so much a gas engine can do for braking with the relatively low compression and all. Overall I would say it is very effective.

Last edited by irfubar; 06/09/19.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Pretty damn good. I towed a travel trailer back from Utah a few weeks ago and I went over like 3 passes hovering around 10,000ft on the way back and man it’s so nice just to let the brake do all the work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by irfubar

Not sure if you are referring to a diesel or gas? as others have said the diesel brake is very effective. My 2009 Chevy gasser has a 6 sp auto with a tow mode and that thing really downshifts hard,
Only so much a gas engine can do for braking with the relatively low compression and all. Overall I would say it is very effective.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. The OP topic was Hemi and I was talking about that. I know what it does with a diesel. I was wondering what the new transmissions do for braking compared to the older 4 speed trannies or a manual (which isn't available any more)

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by irfubar

Sorry I wasn't more clear. The OP topic was Hemi and I was talking about that. I know what it does with a diesel. I was wondering what the new transmissions do for braking compared to the older 4 speed trannies or a manual (which isn't available any more)

All of the new automatic transmissions have a simple manual mode that work with a +/- button on the shifter. They're every bit as "manual" as a manual, save that they won't downshift if it'll over-rev the engine. They shift faster and more smoothly than even the most practiced driver of a true manual. The only thing missing is the 3rd pedal and it's ability to keep a fair number of folks out of the driver's seat.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by 1Longbow
Anyone towing about 12,000 pounds with a 2019 2500 with a Hemi? Just wondering how it tows with the new 8 speed transmission. Does it have enough power pulling that weight ? Thanks for all answers

The question is how often are you going to pull 12,000 and in what part of the country?

And how far. Pulling it 50-100 miles round trip compared to 500+ miles round trip makes all the difference in the world!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Just a heads up warning when towing heavy with gas or diesel with automatic transmission on long, slow, steep back country mountain roads or trails. At 5 to 10 mph, the tranny will be in first gear torque convertor mode (not in lockup) and the continous normal torque convertor slippage can overheat the tranny fluid quickly. On very slow speed pulls on gravel or dirt roads, I would use 4wd low range to let the tranny shift up to second gear convertor lockup mode and it would run much cooler. Later traded Dodge 3500 6.7l diesel/automatic for same truck with 6 speed manual transmission, that problem solved.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,167
Posts18,465,319
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.