Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
byd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Site in at sea level 60 degrees then hunt at 8500-10000 ft 30 degrees 7 rem mag 160 partition and regular IMR 7828 what is going to happen to my point of impact.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/02/free-point-blank-ballistics-software/

You can calculate it yourself with this free software.

Last edited by shaman; 06/09/19.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
byd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks shaman I'm looking for some actual experience.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by byd
Site in at sea level 60 degrees then hunt at 8500-10000 ft 30 degrees 7 rem mag 160 partition and regular IMR 7828 what is going to happen to my point of impact.

If your scope holds zero while traveling your zero will be fine. Your bullet will hold velocity better in the thin air and shoot flatter at long range.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by byd
Thanks shaman I'm looking for some actual experience.

From actual experience ballistic targeting software works perfectly

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, my actual experience from sighting-in at lower elevations and then shooting at high elevations is that 100-yard point of impact will be unchanged (because 100 yards isn't far enough for thinner air to affect it noticeably), but longer-range POI will be higher.

And yes, computer predictions of longer-range POI will be close--if the ballistic coefficient input for the bullet is realistic. Not all are for really long ranges, but for "normal" hunting ranges will be close enough.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I’d be more concerned about a sea level hunter at 10K elevation, hiking up and down mountain ranges. Hope the OP is young and in good shape.

Calculate the difference at long range and just remember the conversion value, hoping you won’t need a very long shot.

Best of luck and we expect pictures, of course.

DF

B
byd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
If I were to die while hunting at a higher elevation I'd have my boots doing what I wanted.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Hunting would be a good way to check out! We had an old guy(like me now) die in his deer stand in Ozona in the middle 70’s. Damn sad day!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
Hunting would be a good way to check out! We had an old guy(like me now) die in his deer stand in Ozona in the middle 70’s. Damn sad day!

Beats the heck out of festering away in a nursing home, someone other than you wiping your arse...

NOT the way to go.

Just a thought.

DF

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The majority of my elk hunting was done out of Leadville Colorado so 11k+ elevation. I zeroed at a bit above sea level and never had an issue hitting said elk. That said, my longest shot was just shy of 300 yards and an elk offers up a fairly large target.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be more concerned about blacking out from oxygen shortage. Use the chart, but give yourself a day to properly sight in and get acclimated. At least verify your 300 drop if you can.
You'll already be in shape, right? But you'll feel it. I remember after a long ski season, going down to visit my relatives at sea level, I felt like SUPERMAN. It was amazing. SO much extra oxygen!

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I'd be more concerned about blacking out from oxygen shortage.

Blacking out? Isn't that just a little dramatic? Hunting at 16,000' maybe but 8500-11,000.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
8,000’ is where most airlines cabin pressure is set. Some newer airplanes have a lower cabin altitude of 6,000’. All that assumes everything is working correctly...

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by WAM
8,000’ is where most airlines cabin pressure is set. Some newer airplanes have a lower cabin altitude of 6,000’. All that assumes everything is working correctly...

Very few airliners are strong enough to have a 6000' equivalent cabin pressure.

NRA Benefactor Member

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by WAM

Better sharpen your pencil on that one. 787-8 and the 777X and many of the VIP variants of other Boeing models are so equipped to handle the pressure. Most older airliners struggle to hold 8,000.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
L
LJB Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Although not a direct answer to the OP's question, here's what I've done in the past.

Sight in at sea level, pair a compatible phone app with a Kestrel Drop D3. Use the Drop D3 to measure the atmospherics when you arrive at your destination. Using the density altitude output from the Kestrel D3 as input to the ballistics app on your phone, you're good to go. Density altitude is a function of both station pressure and temperature, so it's a much better metric for predicting bullet flight than just altitude alone. The Drop D3 is small, lightweight, always "on", with outstanding battery life. Just clip on to your day pack and forget about it until you need it.

This approach of course assumes you have a smart phone, and does require purchasing an app and a Drop D3 ($129.00), so it may not work for you. However it's a lot cheaper than purchasing a full featured Kestrel 5700 weather meter.

Hope this helps.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
I'd be more concerned about blacking out from oxygen shortage. Use the chart, but give yourself a day to properly sight in and get acclimated. At least verify your 300 drop if you can.
You'll already be in shape, right? But you'll feel it. I remember after a long ski season, going down to visit my relatives at sea level, I felt like SUPERMAN. It was amazing. SO much extra oxygen!

I'm always prepared for a longer shot. So I'd do the actual shooting, plus no matter method of travel a scope could loose zero. Better to check IMHO.

As to getting used to altitude, I'd say more like 3 days until I usually got my real legs back under me. And going up slowly if possible helps... we used to do a 22 or so hour drive, and then camp at about 5000-6000 or so feet for a night, then head further up to around 8000 or bit more and laze around a day setting up camp. Next day going up to 10500 or so we took it easy, and back to camp. But it usually took at least 3 days for us, since we came from about 250 feet ASL. And that was while I was still in my 40s...

Most of the good aps will get you close though but I have always by far felt that results on paper at max distance and actual conditions you will use it, trump anything else. And Trumping seems to be a good thing.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Originally Posted by WAM

Better sharpen your pencil on that one. 787-8 and the 777X and many of the VIP variants of other Boeing models are so equipped to handle the pressure. Most older airliners struggle to hold 8,000.

That represents a very small percentage of "airliners". I frequently check the cabin pressure when flying. I flew two legs on a 777ex last summer. We were never below about 7500' cabin pressure. Generally around 8000' on the various 737s including the 800s and 900s. I suspect that maybe the A380 might be better than 8000' but how many of them are there?

Some of the business jets are better but how many of us that post on here fly on G65s regularly??

NRA Benefactor Member

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, my actual experience from sighting-in at lower elevations and then shooting at high elevations is that 100-yard point of impact will be unchanged (because 100 yards isn't far enough for thinner air to affect it noticeably), but longer-range POI will be higher.

And yes, computer predictions of longer-range POI will be close--if the ballistic coefficient input for the bullet is realistic. Not all are for really long ranges, but for "normal" hunting ranges will be close enough.

This has been my experience as well.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
635 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 70 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,357
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.