Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I can sit all day if I have to. In Alaska this can mean 20 hours or so. Day after day, but my preference is not. Mid-day napping is in order....

It depends on what it takes to giterdone. Some animals/conditions are best hunted by "stand" or spot and stalk; sometimes it's better to exchange one bit of barren ground for the next, hopefully productive piece.

I would say I am patient, either sitting or slip-hunting. More so stand hunting, but my preference goes the other way. I don't HAVE to move.... and I get to see stuff on stand that I would not if moving. Hawks landing on a branch 2 feet from my head for instance, or a cow nose-trailing my path for 700 yards, to right under my stand, then standing there looking puzzled, or a moose belly 13 feet away from a ground sit... but mid-day tends to be dead, dead, dead as far as seeing moose from a stand.

I tend to move a bit too fast when slip-hunting, but sometimes that's the best hunting method, depending on terraine, cover, weather, and other circumstances. So I guess that tilts toward impatience when slip-hunting.

The first hunting season I was in residence on the Kenai, I can-to-can't-see stand hunted for 13 full days without scoring, and killed the feeding 40 inch bull I'd briefly seen while walking in the first day, not far from where I'd seen him, while slip hunting along a closed-to-vehicles, 3-mile long oil-field access road on the last day I had to hunt, several hours before dark, but with several days of season left. Several factors played into it, too long to go into here, including the ending of a 3-day downpour, but I determined over-winter that stand hunting all day long was not the most productive way, since the moose were almost all seen within an hour of dark /dawn. Mid-day they were bedded down. Yawn.......

For the next 14 years or so, I almost exclusively slip hunted, getting a moose every year - usually on the third or fourth day of hunting. I was working by then, so could only hunt weekends. And I didn't have to be out there before dawn, nor hunt to dark. 18-20 hour days that way...

I did little hunting within a mile of the road and was usually all alone back in there. I hunted the same 2 roughly square-mile areas all those years, learning them thouroughly. Even named some of the moose. One was a bit over a mile back in, the other nearly 5, although they were about 2 miles apart.. I reserved the latter for late season, when I could bring meat out by float-plane, tho I did pack one small bodied spike out of there in 3 heavy loads one year, one afternoon after shooting him mid-morning, and all the next day. I had the time and saved the flight fee.... smile.

This was a 1969 burn area, with a lot of second growth feed, 30 yard visibility, and scattered "islands" of unburned timber, which the moose used for day-bedding. I simply slip-hunted these bedding "islands", going from one to the next, potentially all day productive hunting, rather than just dawn/dusk. At that time it was "any bull", and I was hunting meat, so when I saw antlers, that was nearly always the end of it, within seconds. A couple times I passed up shooting a bull simply because I didn't (ahem) "know quite where I was" or knew I was waaaay in trouble if I did shoot one there. I never shot anything if I didn't already know how I was getting it out.

20 years later, the stuff had grown up to where the moose bedding areas were a lot less concentrated, the population was declining due to less winter feed, and antler slot limits had been imposed. Usually a jumped bull (other than spike/fork) doesn't give one enough time to both examine him for legality and then shoot while slip-hunting, so it was back to largely unproductive stand hunting. Learning to call them in helped, but this is still mostly a dawn/dusk productive, dead mid-day proposition, with a population maybe 15% now of what it was back in the 80's and 90's.

Mind you, season ends just before or as rut gets started, so from what I've seen on hunting shows on white-tail and elk during the rut, I have no doubt stand hunting/calling moose during the rut would be equally effective as with whitetail during mid-day if you don't mind killing inedible stink-bulls.

I miss the good old days! smile

more fires!

Last edited by las; 06/12/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I have been applying for a desert sheep permit in Arizona for 25 years. Does that count as patience?

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by RinB

I have been applying for a desert sheep permit in Arizona for 25 years. Does that count as patience?

No. 40 years unsuccessfuly for a bison permit might.... frown

So to hell with patience. I quit this year!

Bison meat isn't as good as some others anyway. That and sheep/goat hunting have been my ventures into "Sport" hunting over the years.....

Last edited by las; 06/18/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, Bigd7378, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,373 guests, and 834 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,254
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.